Looking for Easter Cruisers

Lesley Mahler

Proud Mom of a Princess
Hi
We are thinking of cruising for Easter either next year or the next. We want to do the 7 day western carribean so that would put us in Key West on Easter Sunday. Is there anything special that goes on on the boat for Easter Sunday, or should we plan to get off of the boat, and what are your suggestions for things to do off of the boat?
TIA
Lesley

Hi Lesley! We just came back from the Western this past easter....
I noticed in the Navigator that the different kids clubs had easter type activities in the morning...and then there were some church services..We went to Key West and didn't see anything special. Everything was open (except lily pullitzer) and pretty typical.

Hi Lesley! We just came back from the Western this past easter....
I noticed in the Navigator that the different kids clubs had easter type activities in the morning...and then there were some church services..We went to Key West and didn't see anything special. Everything was open (except lily pullitzer) and pretty typical.

Oh yeah...the restaurants had this cute egg display with candies and such...I will try to remember anything else...I think our host gave each of the kids an easter chocolate bunny...but not many of them do it apparently...

Thanks!! What did you do in Key West? Do you have any children, if so what ages, I have a daughter who will be between 6 & 7, so I need something fun for her too!!

Lets see...we rented an electric car..my hubby drove around town...we drove to southern most point, went to the Hemmingway house...saw 47 cats....we are cat lovers...headed over to the Blonde Giraffe to try the Frozen KeyLime on a stick...(blech!) saw a Haagen Daaz and made a very yummy pitstop...hung out by the pier a bit, saw Mallory Square. There is a butterfly place and an acquarium...but we chose not to do it...we have them here in Cleveland...There is a ton of shopping on Duval street...just don't think about looking at jewelry...soo not the place for a bargain. And lastly there will be tons of homosexuals around..so prepare your daughter that she might see some coupling if she is an observant type. (not being hypocritical..just stating a fact)

My kids were 7,6 and 4. We have islands in Ohio sort of like Key West where they are perfectly content to drive around in golf carts all day...so for us Key West was fun. WE were back on the boat at 5:30pm...got ready for dinner and watched a movie that night. Nice day.

Lets see...we rented an electric car..my hubby drove around town...we drove to southern most point, went to the Hemmingway house...saw 47 cats....we are cat lovers...headed over to the Blonde Giraffe to try the Frozen KeyLime on a stick...(blech!) saw a Haagen Daaz and made a very yummy pitstop...hung out by the pier a bit, saw Mallory Square. There is a butterfly place and an acquarium...but we chose not to do it...we have them here in Cleveland...There is a ton of shopping on Duval street...just don't think about looking at jewelry...soo not the place for a bargain. And lastly there will be tons of homosexuals around..so prepare your daughter that she might see some coupling if she is an observant type. (not being hypocritical..just stating a fact)

My kids were 7,6 and 4. We have islands in Ohio sort of like Key West where they are perfectly content to drive around in golf carts all day...so for us Key West was fun. WE were back on the boat at 5:30pm...got ready for dinner and watched a movie that night. Nice day.

When you say an electric car, do you mean one of the newer model cars that are gas and electric? Or do you mean something along the lines of a golf cart?
TIA

Two more questions:
1. How was the weather?
2. Were you able to get in the water on the ship and in ports?
TIA

Hi Lesley!

Yes a golf cart type thing..but I saw some really cool shaped ones too...ones that looked like cadillacs, pink hotrod type...you just have to google electric carts/golf carts on Keywest...

Now for the weather...it was nice high 70's...we didn't sweat by no means...there was a nice breeze...keep in mind...the further south you go the temps feel much warmer.

Swimming..we wouldn't go near the water in Key West....we heard they have problems with it. Dirtiness etc...But we swam on the ship that day....

The other ports...we missed Grand Cayman due to high waves...Rum Point is a nice beach...as is Seven Mile Beach. Cozumel..we went to Chaankanaab...the kids swam...we did the dolphin encounter...there is also a fresh water pool there as well...

Have a great time on your trip!

Hey, I was on that cruise too! Seems like forever ago and it was truly only a few weeks.

Here is the link to a trip report someone else from that cruise is writing. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1772939

My kids are 12 and 15. This is our second cruise, both of them Western and we rebooked for next year, it won't be Easter however.

Key West is a laid back island type town. We rented an electric car too and had a BLAST just tooling around the island, stopping wherever we wanted.

You might want to check out this thread too...http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1520273. The OP is from Key West and Cocoa Beach, so she has a lot of useful information about both.

Happy Planning.

Hi Lesley!

Yes a golf cart type thing..but I saw some really cool shaped ones too...ones that looked like cadillacs, pink hotrod type...you just have to google electric carts/golf carts on Keywest...

Now for the weather...it was nice high 70's...we didn't sweat by no means...there was a nice breeze...keep in mind...the further south you go the temps feel much warmer.

Swimming..we wouldn't go near the water in Key West....we heard they have problems with it. Dirtiness etc...But we swam on the ship that day....

The other ports...we missed Grand Cayman due to high waves...Rum Point is a nice beach...as is Seven Mile Beach. Cozumel..we went to Chaankanaab...the kids swam...we did the dolphin encounter...there is also a fresh water pool there as well...

Have a great time on your trip!

Not trying to be a pest, but one more question about the electric carts. How long were you able to use it for? I have a golf cart and I'd be scared to go off too far with it for fear of the batteries dying. Are the ones that they rent more commercial grade with bigger batteries?
TIA

Hmmm...great question Lesley! I know we rented them from like 12:30 til 5:00pm ish. They had a lot of pickup for a cart..so I would assume that they had a commercial grade motor..but seriously that is a good question to ask the companies when you call them.

Actually the one link i think the lady above posted was the Key West one with Shirley..she actually recommended the company we used and when I mentioned the DIS boards she did give me a better rate than what was posted online.

HTH:)

Hmmm...great question Lesley! I know we rented them from like 12:30 til 5:00pm ish. They had a lot of pickup for a cart..so I would assume that they had a commercial grade motor..but seriously that is a good question to ask the companies when you call them.

Actually the one link i think the lady above posted was the Key West one with Shirley..she actually recommended the company we used and when I mentioned the DIS boards she did give me a better rate than what was posted online.

HTH:)

Thank you so much!!!:)

Hi
We are thinking of cruising for Easter either next year or the next. We want to do the 7 day western carribean so that would put us in Key West on Easter Sunday. Lesley

I'm looking at easter 09 too... i'm confused now - easter sunday is april 12 in 09, right? i'm only seeing an eastern cruise leaving 4/11 (not a western)... what am I missing??? help!

For those interested in an Easter Cruise I wanted to let you know that I submitted the Navigators to the Board this week. I guess they will be posted soon.

Disneymom92 thanks for the plug for my trip report.

I, too, have Navigators. They are in .pdf format and I haven't found a way to fileshare those (didn't think about submitting them to the board). If anyone wants them they can PM me their e-mail and I will send them directly.

I'm looking at easter 09 too... i'm confused now - easter sunday is april 12 in 09, right? i'm only seeing an eastern cruise leaving 4/11 (not a western)... what am I missing??? help!

You probably are not missing anything. We were just thinking about it and haven't actually checked the dates yet!!! Good to know that they do not have a western leaving for April in '09...I guess maybe they alternate, looks like we'll have to wait for '10, or not go for Easter! :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter