Looking for Chicago to Florida - PROS

jimbostacks

Mouseketeer
I am thinking of a crazy spontaneous trip to Florida around New Year's Eve. Air fare is way up there, so I thought it would be fun to drive. I want to make it more of an adventure. What are some really fun spots along the way. I have two boys - 14 and 9. I am thinking Mammoth Cave, Ruby Falls, The Varsity Hot Dog place in Atlanta, any other good ideas? Looking at doing each way in 2 days........ thanks!!!!!

I am thinking of a crazy spontaneous trip to Florida around New Year's Eve. Air fare is way up there, so I thought it would be fun to drive. I want to make it more of an adventure. What are some really fun spots along the way. I have two boys - 14 and 9. I am thinking Mammoth Cave, Ruby Falls, The Varsity Hot Dog place in Atlanta, any other good ideas? Looking at doing each way in 2 days........ thanks!!!!!

I found this with Southwest from Midway just in case of the nasty weather that time of year.

Depart
Dec 31Mon 08:55 PM Chicago (Midway), IL (MDW) to 12:20 AM Orlando, FL (MCO) Flight
#2300 Monday, December 31, 2012
Travel Time 2 h 25 m
(Nonstop)

Return
Jan 8Tue 08:00 AM Orlando, FL (MCO) to Stops in Raleigh, NC
11:10 AM Chicago (Midway), IL (MDW) Flight
#3136 Tuesday, January 8, 2013
Travel Time 4 h 10 m
(1 stop, no plane change)

Total Price: $233.40

We always stop in Chattanooga. You mentioned Ruby Falls. We like Rock City, too. They also have an awesome aquarium in town (of course, probably no big deal since you have the Shedd where you are.) There are plenty of little places advertised on the side of the road that are fun to stop at. We had the most fun at a pecan place in Georgia we randomly stopped at. We have driven from Central Illinois two years in a row now.

The Chattanooga Choo-Choo is a great place to stop for the night. It's about halfway and it's definitely cool.

We have done the drive lots of times. We like the Gone With the Wind Museum in Marietta, GA. If you have time for daytripping along the way, a 45 minute ride from WDW is New Smyrna Beach--it's cleaner than Daytona, more family friendly, and where more locals go, rather than tourists. OH! We have never stopped there (yet) but there is an Appalachian Area History Museum along the route, as well as the Jack Daniel's Distillery in Lynchburg, TN.

We've driven to Florida many times. We drive straight thru, but there are so many great places to stop along the way.

Nashville--LOTS to do! We have family here and like to visit

ATL--The zoo, MLK memorial,

Then there are the caves, Ruby Falls, the pecan place in Georgia (we've stopped there to stretch and had a blast)...lots to see and do!

Thanks for all of the great info!!!!! Trying to squeeze the side trips in. Will hit Mammoth cave on the way down, and then probably stay between Chattanooga and Atlanta....will probably have little energy to drive farther. Ont he way back, Rock City/Ruby Falls....Thinking of staying in Chattanooga on way back with various neat things. I will check out New Smyrna Beach on the Web, as I knwo the Disney parks get crazy by noon!!!!! Thanks Again

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter