Looking For Advice, Driving From Chicago Around Thanksgiving

zaja4

Earning My Ears
WE ARE PLANNING ON LEAVING AT 2PM AND DRIVING STRAIGHT THROUGH FROM CHICAGO AROUND THANKSGIVING. I WAS WONDERING IF THE ROADS FROM CHICAGO SEEM SAFE TO DRIVE THROUGH THE NIGHT, INCLUDING VISIBILITY AND ROAD CONDITIONS ( FOG, NARROW ROADS, MOUNTAINS?). ANY OTHER ADVICE, LIKE RESTAURANTS OR AREAS TO STRETCH YOUR LEGS WOULD BE GREAT TOO. WE HAVE 3 KIDS 8YRS TO 1YR. THANKS

I drove from the Western suburbs in Dec. and returned in Jan.. I drove solo and met my family who flew so I stopped. Can't help about driving straight through but I can recommend taking 57 rather than 65 especially if you're leaving at 2. I think you would hit Indy rush hour traffic if you took 65.

57 is an easy drive as is 24 through KY. The only real mountains I remember were in TN. One long steep grade but not treacherous. Traffic around Atlanta is bad but you'll probably be going through in the wee hours.

At that time of the year I imagine you could hit a variety of weather so I would allow some flexibility.

Mostly this is a bump so that others with more experience can help you.

When we drive down we leave from Manteno around 3:00 PM when my wife is done at school, so our schedules would be about the same if you take I-57.....

Usually we try to make it to Marion for dinner, can usually make it there by 6:30 -7:00 if we hustle and there is a decent selection of places to eat, plus by time we get there its time to get gas... Continue down 57 until we get to 24 and by that time the traffic starts to die down and we can make good time.. It seems like we usually end up going thru Nashville around 11:00 and our main goal is to get to Atlanta by 4:00 AM to avoid traffic, and its never been a problem.. ... Should be into WDW by noon....

Roads are in great shape and the mountains are nothing to be worried about, everything is well marked...

I live in southern Illinois, and will be driving to DW soon. Has anyone gone through Alabama instead of Atlanta? Dh wants to go through Dothan towards the panhandle of Florida--some sort of nostalgic thing from when he was a kid, I guess. I wondered how much longer it would be, and what is the best way (not too much traffic) to get from Alabama to DW. Anyone? I am willing to go his way so we can avoid Atlanta traffic, and if it doesn't take too much extra time.

Originally posted by zaja4
ANY OTHER ADVICE.............

fahr01.gif
Fly if possible. :p

I second the 57 to 24 route. We've driven both, 57 to 24 and 94 to 65, and prefer the 57 to 24 route tremendously. Very little traffic until you get to Atlanta. Be sure to get through Atlanta early and you should have no problems. If you're not through Atlanta and you do catch rush hour, try to take a break for a snack or something so that you'll be refreshed before you attempt driving through. The signs are very tricky -- if your exit is coming up on the right, they will post the sign on the left. The drive is very manageable, and we do it twice a year with three kids too. Have a safe drive and enjoy the Christmas decorations at WDW.

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES! MY NEW CONFUSION IS 57 VS 65. I WAS PLANNING ON TAKING 65 THROUGH INDIANA, BECAUSE SEVERAL FRIENDS SAY IT IS MUCH FASTER THAN 57 THROUGH ILLINOIS. THEY SAID YOU SAVE 1 HOUR, OR DID THEY SAY 100 MILES? ANYWAY, NOW 2 REPLIES SAID THE OPPOSITE. OPINIONS?

It's not quite an hour, more like 40 mins., and the quieter I-57 route is worth it to me. If 40 minutes will really make a difference to you, then go the I-65 route. There's no guarantee, however, that you won't run into traffic near Indianapolis that will eat into your 40 minute savings. In fact, there are no guarantees with either route, but we found the I-57 route to be much more relaxing.

I just think any time difference will get ate up in the 80/90 bottleneck at the time of the day, heading down 57 is so hassle free...

Jon99 and tinaluis were two of the posters who helped me when I was planning my drive. Thanks to both of you and manning and redbirdgrad.

57 & 24 was such an easy drive. 24 had very little traffic. As Jon said that area around Hammond can be horrendous and traffic there picks up early in the afternoon...actually it can be bad almost any time I think.

That time of the year the weather can be good or bad. I have relatives on the west side of Florida, so I take I- 65 instead of I-75. Traffic in Atlanta can be very bad, especially during rush hour. I Went thru there a couple of days after Xmas south bound. The running joke in the car was when a car applied the brakes at the Florida border, so did we in Atlanta.

If you go I-65 thru Alabama, you will take I-65 to Montgomery AL Exit onto I-85 north to Atlanta at exit 171 and go to exit 9 on I-85 and exit south bound. Can't remember the route number, but you take it south to the end to US 231. It is a T- intersection. Turn left onto US 231 and go into Florida where you will get onto I-10 east bound. Watch the troopers in Tallahassee. Go to I-75, then south bound to the Sunshine Turn Pike. It will cost you a dollar. Take it to US 27 and go south to route 192. The difference in time may be an hour or so longer, but you avoid the mountain on I-24 around Chattanooga.

At that time of the year it tends to get foggy after sun down. And it can get thick.

If you are planning to drive straight thru make sure you are sleeping when not driving. One of the dangers when driving tired you can fall asleep and not know it. IT HAPPENED TO ME ONCE. I was driving late after a snow storm that saved my life. Roads where clear and the plowed snow was piled on the side of the interstate. One minute I was driving and the next I heard the scraping sound of the car side swiping the snow. That's when I realized I had fallen asleep.

From Chicago I- 57 is longer, both time and distance. My wife keeps track of these things.

If you encounter light snow, BEWARE of BLACK ICE. You won't know you're on it until you use the brakes. That's when I fell in love with anti-lock brakes. It won't stop you faster, but will keep you in control.

After all that, I would recommend you stop for the night. You will feel better the next day.

Thank you so much manning, for the details on the Alabama route!! I have posted questions about it a few times lately and it seems not many people go that way. I don't mind the extra hour if I avoid atlanta traffic. We don't drive at night, so the traffic would probably be bad there when we went through. Now I am wondering how is the traffic in Birmingham? I-65 goes right through there. Is there a lot of traffic on HWY 231 in southeastern Alabama?
Thanks again for your detailed directions, I can see them perfectly on my map now, including the T intersection (271). Thanks again, and any more tips will be appreciated!

chamonix -- If I remember the speed limit is 60 there. I can't remember any back-up, maybe some slow down during rush hour. The interstate is pretty wide there. Pay attention to the signs. They will direct you to the lanes for Montgomery (I-65).

I went through Birmingham on I-65 just a couple of weeks ago on a Friday evening during rush hour and it went pretty smoothly.

I would definitely take the 231 route through Dothan to I-10, because I-20 East of B'ham almost to the Georgia line is a construction mess right now.

50 mph and less through Pell City and others and the speed traps are out!!

You will also miss the Atlanta traffic this way. The only downside is you miss the lower gas prices in Georgia.

Another warning to the original poster, if you are going home on the Sunday after Thanksgiving, I-75 N through Georgia is a 40 mph gridlock!! Everyone in the world is on the roads the Sunday after Thanksgiving. It took us 13 hours to get from Ocala to North Alabama!!! (I'm SOOO glad we decided to go up to Ocala Saturday night instead of waiting till Sunday morning to leave WDW!!!)

Hope this helps!

Carol

zaja4, don't forget Indy will be 1 hour ahead of Chicago in Nov., so you may go thru Indy after rush hour. If you leave Chicago at 2:00 pm that would be 3 in Indy. It will take about 3 hours to Indy which would be about 6:00pm in Indiana. The rush hour in Indianapolis isn't easy, but nothing like Chicago.

13 hours! wow!!! We decided last march to try I-75 coming home, just to try something different. From the GA/FL border it was a solid 130 mile construction zone into GA. I mentioned to the hotel clerk that they must have a powerful politician in Washington to get all this money. He said that they are always working on that road.

Gas prices are pretty good around Dothan.

Also on the speed traps. Watch out for VASCAR. It sends out no signal. It's a stop watch connected to a accurately calibrated odometer. The trooper can use any two reference points to clock you. He can do it standing still, moving in the same or opposite direction you are traveling. I read somewhere that Indiana and Florida love them.

I knew a State trooper who had fun with it when it came out in the 60's. He had a disconnected radar gun mounted on the dash of the patrol car. When he pulled someone over, they saw the radar gun and couldn't figure out why their radar detector didn't go off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter