Looking for a spreadable butter!

maslex

DIS Veteran
I grew up using margarine. My dad ALWAYS used real butter though, I just never cared for it. Never saw the big deal. So we always had both butter and margarine at home growing up. To me, real butter and margarine were the same thing, no difference.

Since moving out on my own (back in 1992) I have used the Country Crock spread in the tub. Then switched over to I Can't Believe it's Not Butter in the tub. I always found it easier to spread on bread when it wasn't in stick form and like it that way. I always hated how sticks of butter were always so hard.

Well, lately I've been noticing a difference when I melt the ICBINB, that it doesn't really melt all that well. I've actually started buying sticks of real butter over the past year to use for baking instead of using margarine sticks.

I'd like to start using butter on a daily basis (cooking, baking, on toast, bread, etc) but would also like it to be a spreadable kind.

Any suggestions?

***and do you keep your real butter on the counter or keep it in the fridge? (the kind in the tub) If you keep it in the fridge, do you find it a pain in the butt if you wan't to spread it on something? Or is it really a spreadable consistency?

There are plenty of people who leave butter out on the counter at room temperature all the time, therefore making it spreadable. I'm not one of those people, but there are LOTS right here on the DIS. Until I read it here I didn't even know that leaving butter out was a possibility.

We have a butter dish with a lid and keep it on the table just about all the time. You can keep regular, salted butter at room temperature but I've always heard that you cannot keep unsalted butter at room temperature as it will spoil. One stick of butter usually only lasts us 2-3 days, but if you won't use it within a week, I wouldn't leave it out. I've seen spreadable butter like the landolakes linked above but never tried it.

maslex said:
I grew up using margarine. My dad ALWAYS used real butter though, I just never cared for it. Never saw the big deal. So we always had both butter and margarine at home growing up. To me, real butter and margarine were the same thing, no difference.

Since moving out on my own (back in 1992) I have used the Country Crock spread in the tub. Then switched over to I Can't Believe it's Not Butter in the tub. I always found it easier to spread on bread when it wasn't in stick form and like it that way. I always hated how sticks of butter were always so hard.

Well, lately I've been noticing a difference when I melt the ICBINB, that it doesn't really melt all that well. I've actually started buying sticks of real butter over the past year to use for baking instead of using margarine sticks.

I'd like to start using butter on a daily basis (cooking, baking, on toast, bread, etc) but would also like it to be a spreadable kind.

Any suggestions?

***and do you keep your real butter on the counter or keep it in the fridge? (the kind in the tub) If you keep it in the fridge, do you find it a pain in the butt if you wan't to spread it on something? Or is it really a spreadable consistency?

I use both margarine in a tub and stick butter. Not interchangeably. Sometimes I need margarine sometimes I need butter.

Keep both in the fridge. The idea of soft butter on the table gives me the willies. I remember my grandfather did that when I was little and even then it made me shudder.

Hydrogenating the vegetable oils is what makes the margarine spreadable, or at least it's what makes them last forever. It's also what makes it double the health risk (ever hear of trans fats?). Get some kerrygold grass fed butter and either keep a stick out or plan ahead and take some out half hour before you need it. It will go a ways toward balancing out some of the other bad stuff.

::yes:: Me too. I prefer the canola oil version to the olive oil + butter version, as this tastes like BUTTER and not like olive oil + butter. I have a bottle of olive oil for when I want olive oil + butter in dishes.

This is what I use too (the canola version). As close to real-tasting spreadable butter as you can get.

If I want butter for my toast.. I just cut off the amount I want and throw it in the microwave for a few seconds

President butter is softer than regular stick butter and is really good. It's a little more expensive but it's not too bad at Walmart.

I've read good things about butter crocks or butter bells but I've never used one.

Any suggestions?

Hey, funny I have been doing the same thing recently. I stopped buying margarine.

We just leave the stick of butter out, we eat it up pretty quickly. Now I have to Google, lol.

How long before room-temp unsalted butter goes rancid? SavoryTv contacted Land O'Lakes and got an answer: It should stay fresh for two weeks, though as we've already pointed out, that depends on a few variables. Does salted butter last longer? Anecdotal evidence suggests it does—kitchengardengal keeps unsalted butter at room temperature and has never had it go rancid, even in summer. And fldhkybnva suggests that high-fat butters like Kerrygold melt too easily to leave at room temperature. Keep high-butterfat brands in the fridge, but leave ordinary butter on the kitchen counter.

http://www.chow.com/food-news/138086/is-it-ok-to-leave-butter-on-the-kitchen-counter/

Just leaving butter at room temperature will solve your problem. If you won't need a whole stick in a reasonable amount of time, just cut off part of the stick to have sitting out.

I've never had it go bad, but I generally don't leave out longer than a week or so.

Another user of Land o Lakes Light w/canola oil.

I do use real butter for baking though.

I gave lady guests butter crocks for Christmas. You can leave the butter out for days following the directions and it remains soft.

OP here.

I went to the Land o Lakes website and found that in the "tubs" they have butter with canola oil and some with olive oil. I'm assuming these both have a different taste than regular plain butter? I didn't see any plain butter in the tubs. Then I saw they had "whipped" butter. Has anyone tried that one?

THEN I see the have flavored butters. Oooohhhh, those look good. Honey butter, cinnamon butter, garlic & herb butter. Might have to splurge and grab a couple tomorrow. Have you tried any of these?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter