• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Looking at Jan 4-11...suggestions?

Kallie724

Mouseketeer
I've never been in January and have heard that for CHristmas and New Years crowds are insane! This year for some reason my daughter doesn't go back to school until Jan 13. I was thinking about taking a trip for Jan 4-11. It might be wishful thinking but I figured most schools would start back in session the week after New Years and the crowds would drop off.

Anyway been the week after New Years? How is the crowds, weather, etc.? Did you miss anything that you wanted to see if you would've gone at more of a peak time? I've only been at the end of May and then this year we went the first week of March.

THanks for the help!

I'd say there will still be some crowds January 4-5, but after that it will die wayyyy down. The week after New Years actually begins the value season in Disney. Your first couple days you might be able to even catch some Christmas decorations. I went the second week of January before and saw no drawbacks compared to peak season. Some refurbishments resulting in ride/pool closures might be starting around that time, but definitely not enough to keep me from seeing it as a great time to visit. I say do it:)

We went in January and had a great time. The second week in January is supposed to be one of the least crowded times. It was for us. The days were nice and sunny low 70's but the nights were chilly. We even bought a Mickey ski cap! My son was 2 or so so I mostly worried about him being cold at night. There were a few things closed for rehab but we just planned to come back again someday...I hope this helps!

Marathon Weekend is January 8th - 12th. Large crowd of people at the resorts but the parks are still bearable.

Thanks everyone for the comments. My daughter will turn 6 on January 17 and when we got back in March she told me she wanted to celebrate her birthday in Disney. I told her that she wouldn't be able too because of school. If we go in January we won't be there on her actual birthday but close enough to it that we can celebrate it.

I'm just worried about weather. When we went in March this year one night was so cold and windy we couldn't go to the parks. It wasn't worth us getting sick. Even people who were from up north said how they froze too.

We went almost those exact days in 2012 and 2013. This year was definitely more crowded but the crowds died down as the week went on. Last year the weather was like 70 and we wore sweatshirts all week. This year it was really HOT. So I would be prepared for either. Definitely a good time to go in my opinion.

Weather will be hit or miss. The first week of January in 2012, a cold front came thru from Canada, and the temps were in the 30's and 40's for a few days. We froze. We were wearing long pants, jackets, hats and gloves. Compare that with the 1st week of January this year, and we wore shorts all week - the weather was fabulously warm and sunny. Just be prepared and pack for all types of weather.

We were there this past January (Jan 2013) for the marathon. I only packed two pair of shorts and a couple pair of pants. It was hot the entire time, so the washer and dryer in our villa was busy nearly every night washing shorts and tshirts. Lucky for us that Typhoon Lagoon had reopened for the winter and we spent a few days there.

My family went in January a few years ago and absolutely loved it. Less crowds, great weather (actually anything is better than MN in the dead of winter)....there were a few rides that were closed for refurbishment, but we were okay with that. There are so many rides, shows, and experiences that we felt like we didn't miss out on anything.

Stayed at AoA this January 7-13. The crowds were low, the ride waits were short, and the weather was record breaking warm....80s. On the other hand my daughter was there Jan. 2011 and this Feb. and it was much colder. We did see Christmas decorations still up at the parks though the 9th. So if you don't mind variable weather I'd say its a great time to go.

Thanks for the information! I priced things out based on the pricing for this year. If we went in Jan. it would cost us $1780 and if we went in June it would cost $2202. Rack rate for both so it's a difference of $422. Summer - Higher crowds, better weather, water park, higher costs. January - Lower crowds, iffy weather, CHristmas decorations, lower costs Decisions, Decisions...lol

Thanks for the information! I priced things out based on the pricing for this year. If we went in Jan. it would cost us $1780 and if we went in June it would cost $2202. Rack rate for both so it's a difference of $422. Summer - Higher crowds, better weather, water park, higher costs. January - Lower crowds, iffy weather, CHristmas decorations, lower costs Decisions, Decisions...lol

Christmas decorations may be on their way down by Jan 4.

Plus Disney does renovations on the attractions in January, so you might find some closed during that time.

Just a note on the Marathon weekend.
We were there over Marathon back in 2008. We had a rental and were trying to drive on property to return the rental by the MK.
It Was A NIGHTMARE! They had roads blocked off everywhere for the runners. It took us forever to finally get that car returned:eek: We wasted so much valuable time. Just a heads up that if you plan to drive to the parks...Dont! Take their transportation as they know how to get around the blocked off roads.
We also encountered tons of Brazilian tour groups:faint:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter