Lookinf for cycling advice

JacobsMommy11002

DIS Veteran
My office is putting together a team for the Tour de Cure. I really want to take part, but my total is maybe 6-8 miles right now. The ride is 32. Anyone know where I could find a good training plan?

I would suggest that you first try your local bike shop. That would be a good place to start for information about local rides. In some instances, they may even host a ride or two that you can hook up with. Doing a quick google search for "Portland, Maine cycling" yields a few clubs. If these guys are near you, it looks like they have a moderately paced ride on Mondays.

I hope this helps. Good luck with the training and your ride!

I hope you find what it is you are looking to have. I don't have info for you, but didn't want the thread to get completely lost here.

This may sound obvious; but the most important thing when preparing for a group ride/event is to spend time on the bike. If you've never been on a bike for more than 6-8 miles, the biggest challenge will be comfort. Your body will not be used to that position for long periods and you'll need to get plenty of saddle time, literally. I'm guessing its not likely you'll be riding outside; so try to get your hands on a bike trainer or get to the gym. Hope this helps. I'd be glad to answer more questions, as you've come across my other passion.

I haven't biked in a couple of years, but before that I did quite a bit of biking.
I have to say that going from a few miles to more miles, you need to make sure your fit on your bike is right. Any good bike shop can help you with that.
Another huge thing (at least for women) is making sure your seat is a women's saddle. Additionally, you will need biker's shorts, which have padding where it's needed most.

As far as adding mileage, if you gradually increase your mileage you should be okay.
When I trained for Bike Across Kansas (approx. 500 miles), I biked daily rides of 11 to 20 miles and weekend rides of 30 to 60 miles.

For a ride of 32 miles, I think a gradual increase from your 6-8 mile comfort level is very doable. Again, the proper biking shorts are very important!

This may sound obvious; but the most important thing when preparing for a group ride/event is to spend time on the bike. If you've never been on a bike for more than 6-8 miles, the biggest challenge will be comfort. Your body will not be used to that position for long periods and you'll need to get plenty of saddle time, literally. I'm guessing its not likely you'll be riding outside; so try to get your hands on a bike trainer or get to the gym. Hope this helps. I'd be glad to answer more questions, as you've come across my other passion.

I agree 100% - you've got to put in the miles. In addition, I'd suggest contacting the cycling club mentioned above. Riding alone and riding in a group are two different animals, and you want to get some experience in a group. Plus - there is so much to learn from the other cyclists. Good luck!

I wouldn’t say I’m an expert biker but I can give you my experience from last year. I decided to do a trip to Italy to bike Tuscany. I occasionally take my very cheap bike out for a couple of cross train miles but don’t do nearly the distances or the hills that I would be doing in Tuscany. I just got on the bike and did miles whenever I could. I would do one or two rides a week and they would very from 5 to 20 miles. Once I was on the trip it took maybe a half of a day to get up to speed with most of the other bikers. I’m a runner so that might have helped me along so if you run or even walk you are ahead of the curve.

Also remember that biking in a group will require less energy output than a solo bike (watch about 10 minutes of cycling on Versus and you will learn all about a peleton) so while you are with you work group you should be able to take advantage of the aerodynamic gains of the group.

Good luck.

Agree with the other posters...getting time in the saddle is important.
If I were a coach (I'm not), I would suggest riding 3 times a week or so, with a gradual buildup of the long ride on the weekends to about 2.5 hours.
You can count out the number of weeks you have to train, and count back from the ride date, adding 15 min. or so to your long ride each week until you get to the target.

Look in some of the issues of Bicycling magazine if you get a chance...sometimes they will have articles on training for a century ride...you can adapt that to the shorter distance.

The Tour de Cure website/organization will likely have training tips, since you are joining a group effort.

P.S. If you've noticed...I train by time, and not by miles...others may vary.
If I see a group ride offered (like the club rides suggested), I will guess which distance offered should fit my target time.

not that most of don't think that way? Right?
There are a number of resources on the internet but I've found them to be overwhelming and confusing to the novice. Since you have stated you've joined a team, I imagine there is a team captain/leader, ie; someone who is experienced at cycling and distance. Since you can ride 8 miles, build on that. As others have stated, fit is the most important compenent. What I do know about road RIDES is that there are a number of rest stops and I would recommend you to avail each one. Get off the saddle and walk around. Riding in a group for 32 miles is a whole other beast, so I am hoping your team leader will set up some training rides with other team members. Ask questions from your source/contact...I am fairly certain all these things will be addressed. Also remember to dress in layers, as you can take off as you warm up. As Ironz stated, I train by hours...not distance. Some are easy, some are hard, some are inbetween. Back last August, I did an olympic distance tri and my bike speed average was 21mph on a fitted tri bike. Right now I am ramping down from long endurance rides and starting to work on shorter, faster intervals. I've got 2 months to prepare myself and so far so good...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter