Look What Delta Did To Us!!!!

chris1gill

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
Well, I posted some of this on the family board, but I wanted to post it here as well, since it's more a transportation thing!!! We got on our flight from Boston to Orlando... It ran two hours delayed & when we got down there our luggage was nowhere to be found... IT WAS LOST!!!
Thankfully they did get it to us on Saturday, the next day...

This was a quick trip... going down Friday night, coming back tuesday afternoon... Monday night from 11:30PM to Tuesday 5AM, DS was getting terribly sick (all over DH may I add) after his fourth incident, off to Celebration Health they went... DS got some medicine, but continued to get quite sick throughout the morning into the afternoon... We called Delta to ask if they would allow us to switch our tickets to a Wednesday departure (today). They would not.. the girl & her manager both said they DO NOT GIVE ANY MEDICAL WAIVERS WHATSOEVER!!!

So, since they wanted 200.00 to change the tickets, we fully expected to be on Tuesday's 5pm flight... sick son & all... We did have to pay CSR an extra's night rate since we definitely need that bathroom up until the time we left for the flight... We checked out of CSR at 3:30, got to the airport only to find Delta CANCELLED our flight coming home!!! They then expected us to take a 7:50 flight that arrived back at 10:50... With 1 sick kid & now the other one has a cold!! Forget it, we told them to put us on Wednesdays (today) 11:45am flight... DONE they said... We'd already checked out of CSR, so I called the BW villa's (we're DVC'ers) we got a studio at BWV's & it was GREAT! We should have stayed there the whole trip!! Oh well, CSR was pretty nice anyways....

Well, that leads me to today! We got to the airport to find they NEVER REBOOKED US!! Even though they gave us seat assignments!!! Finally they rebooked us & we are home, but I can say we will NEVER fly Delta again!!! *ell will have to freeze over before we ever step foot on one of their planes again!! By the way, the 7:50PM flight they wanted us on, was delayed & never arrived into Boston until 12:36!!! How about that :-(

So, if you get sick, be sure you don't have Delta as your carrier!!!! And, if you want an on-time airline, forget Delta... they just can't cut it....

they can give medical waivers. would they rather have a sick kid on the flight spreading his germs and giving it to their employeees as well as the other passengers? I think you need to wrtie a letter to the consumer department of the carrier. let them know how rude their employees were point out the cancellations as well as the delays. while its not their fault that your son took ill they certainly could have handled it better than they do. so much for customer service.

Hi Beverly Lynn!

We offered them the hospital discharge papers & everything as proof that our son was indeed sick... We wanted to get home, but we knew if we put him on that plane, that we'd need an aisle seat, because THAT'S where he'd be getting sick.... it was a terrible predicament & I was completely shocked that they told us that under no circumstance do they give medical waivers... We questioned both the rep & the manager about wanting to bring our son on that plane... they both said the same thing... we do not give medical waivers.... That was pretty crystal clear! But I'll take your advice & write a letter! Thanks!

Wow...what a story...sorry to hear that Delta gave you such a hard time...I hope that your son is okay now...:(

Write to

Ms. Valerie Henry
Director, Customer Care
Delta Air Lines
P.O. Box 20980
Atlanta, GA 30320-2980

I have found over the years that the major airlines are very responsive when you write them with a legitimate gripe. Hopefully Delta (whom I personally love) will be for you.

Thanks for the info GoldenOldie, I'll write right away... As for our DS, he's feeling better but hasn't been able to have a full meal even yet... He missed his first day of school, and I sent him today with a note indicating he might get sick :-( What could I do? We're first time parents of a six year old & there's no manual to go with the job!!!

please make sure that you have all the names n the leteer as well. they could have made the change for you at no add/collect of monies. they were just being nasty. also include copies of your hospital papers to show them. and let them know that the enxt time you or anyone you know that is ill they most certainly can fly on a DELTA flight since the carrier doesn't care about the spreading of germs to their employees or other passengers. let them know about the lack of compassiona dn customer service and that you hope that one day they (the employees) find themselves in your predictament and that they get treated the same way they treated you. (very effective) also make it a point to let them know that you understand they have a policy but that there are always exceptions to any policy. and things can always have an override. also point out that you know there are people in this world who take advantage of the illnesses and try to get things done when its really not true but this was an actual happening in your lives. wqho wants to go on vacation to disney(paying all that money) just to get sick and have to stay in the room all day? alto let them know that your vacation was ruined completely by this(saying you know its not their fault but stillthey didn;t need to add insult to injury)

make sure that you send the letter return recipet so that they have to sign for it so you know when they received it!

EXCELLENT points Beverly Lynn, I will definitely include those points you mentioned!! I mean between losing our luggage & arriving 2 hours late at night & then not allowing us to switch the flight & then cancelling our flight & then NOT REBOOKING THE NEW ONE they said they would, the whole thing was a major nightmare! Thank god I am not the type to get seriously stressed... I pretty much take everything with a grain of salt, but I really believe they went over the top on this one...

Hi Beverly Lynn!!

Question! Could Rule 240 have been applied in this case since her flight was cancelled the 1st time could she have requested to be put on the next flight on any airline? I thought she could but I am not sure? do you think?:) :) :)

Wow, what a story! {{{Hugs}}} to you!

when your flight is cancelled due to anything but weather they must put you on another flight.

1.Delta Air Lines must confirm you on their next flight (on which space is available) at no additional cost. 2.If there is an alternate Delta Air flight that will arrive at your destination earlier than the alternate you have been offered, you have the right to be confirmed on this Delta Air Lines' flight at no additional cost, even if first class space is all that is available. 3.If the alternate Delta Air Lines flight is not acceptable to you, you have the right to be confirmed on the flight of a different airline at no additional cost. 4.If there is an alternate "different airline" flight that will arrive at your destination earlier than any alternate flight you have been offered, you have the right to be confirmed on this flight at no additional cost, even if first class space is all that is available. 5.If no alternate flight (on Delta Air Lines or a "different airline") is acceptable to you, Delta Air Lines must refund your money - even if you have a non-refundable ticket.

we were always told at the ttk cntr that we had a 2 hr window in which to work with. that means if there was another DL flight that came within that 2 hr limit then you were to go on that one. if there was no flight within that time then you are to be put on anohter carrier.

Ihad forgottent he lost bags too. make sure that you mention that in your letter as well. any and all inconveniences must be mentioned to them. and stress that no customer svc to them too! they hate to hear that!

Thanks Everyone for the hugs & good wishes... you are all wonderful!!! I'm just glad we are sort of laid back... I can see where this would have put someone over the edge :rolleyes:

Beverly Lynn, I couldn't keep all your options straight... Our original flight was at 5:25, they booked us on the next flight which was at 7:50... My DH came out & told me & I said no way.. it was too late & I had a very sick child!!! He then called them back (the # they said to call if he wanted to change)... he called & they talked about the next days flights (Wednesday), the woman said she booked us on the 11:45 flight & she even gave us seat assignments... but yet when we arrived there was no record of ever having been booked for the 11:45 flight & instead it showed us as a "no show" for the 7:50 flight!! By the way, that flight never took off till 9:45pm & it landed at 12:36... my DH pointed that out when they were trying to sort out getting our flight for 11:45 on Wednesday.... Since the originally scheduled flight was more than 2 hours, we could have requested another carrier? How do you go about doing that? Do you have to go to all the different counters or does the Delta rep get that information?

We're flying out on Delta in Oct. I was going to request someone post about the "Rule" before I go. I feel for you and your DS. My DD got sick in a rental car once on the way from WDW to Marco Island. What a mess! I can't imagine someone throwing up on a flight. I think that would make others throw up as well. Sorry to mention that ;) Then what would they do??

Also, was this a nonstop flight or connecting? I wasn't worried about losing our luggage on a nonstop because I didn't think it could get lost.

Beverly: Are you stating Delta DOES have a medical waiver policy or it doesn't. Where would one find this out? I guess I'd rather be prepared and NOT need it!

Hi TinkerbellRules! This was a direct, non-stop flight from Boston to Orlando... Our luggage just didn't get on the plane with us!!! One thing I learned years ago, ALWAYS bring a nights worth of everything with you, including 1 daytime outfit... My luggage years ago was lost & I had nothing with me!!!

Oh, believe me, I definitely knew if he got sick in the aisle others would too... but it was Delta's decision to not allow us to switch flights, and we clearly indicated that the staff would have to clean up after our DS... We watched this all night, and let me tell you it WASN'T a pretty site... DS also go sick in the rental car on the way back from the hospital, but he had a bucket in front of him at that point... I mean I just cannot believe the attitude we got from the Delta representatives! They told us that if we'd gotten a refundable ticket, we'd certainly be able to change flights... well of course we would!!! Geesh...... I think the official Delta policy is that they do not extend waivers of any sort... I think what Beverly Lynn was saying is, if you push hard enough, long enough they'll extend the waiver.... What a lousy airline though.... We'll fly Southwest, at least they are NICE!!!

I'm curious what happened to the 7:00 pm flight (#2368) that they didn't put you on that. It could have been full but they should have told you that. There were also connections thru ATL and CVG that you would have been able to make that would have gotten you to BOS a little after 9 pm. Doesn't seem like they tried any alternatives too hard.

I think Delta just plain dropped the ball all around on this one. It wasn't a case of one employee causing an inconvenience, it was more like an entire company causing locusts and famine. ;) Delta definitely owes you big time!

I told my sis the same thing. Always bring a carryon with a change of clothes!

Unfortunately for the car rental company, we didn't have a bucket for DD when she got sick. I was in the back with her (just 5) and could tell it was coming. I grabbed a plastic bag, but she just squeezed the bag which provided nothing. It was funny. When we pulled up to the resort at Marco Island, they wanted us to valet park it. I said "no you don't want to" They kept insisting on help us. I said "no, okay, she threw up on the luggage and in the car, Okay?!"

what I am saying is that they can always let you change without any charge. a supervisor can authorize it, the lead agent at the counter can authorize it, heck even someone in reservations can authorize it. even a lowely agent at the tkt cntr can actually do it when push comes to shove. they can put a message in like
3OSI psgr had to chng due to sever med condition of chd
3OSI no ADD/COLL due to said condition as the CHD would
3OSI have thrown up on aircraft. hos paperwork. PIT/ATO/GV

or something like this. its all in the documentation. this is written in a way any other airline agents can read it. the bottem line is whether or not the agent wants to do it. You should have let your son puke on the agent and the supervisor. no cleaner wants to clean that. trust me. even the flt attnds would rather have you wait and give you the change with no charge.

Hi Again GoldenOldie!!

When they switched our flights, they switched it to the next direct flight which was the 7:50pm flight.... I said absolutely not... based on their delays in Boston I said there is no way that flight will get us home by 10:30, and even if it did, we wouldn't crawl into our beds until 1 since we are over an hour from the airport.... They didn't give us an option of a connecting flight, although we probably would have declined it... between my wheelchair & our son throwing up, I don't think we could have taken a connecting! My wheelchair is why we always fly direct to begin with... It doesn't bother me that we took a Wednesday flight (which is what we wanted to do in the first place)... it bothers me that they wouldn't let us switch our flight, just kept reiterating they don't do medical waivers, even when faced with the inevitable of our son getting sick on the plane... That really bugs me... Then they cancel the flight after we've checked out of a hotel we'd already paid for! Then when we do arrive at the airport for our flight home the next day, we find we were never actually booked, but logged in as a no show on that 7:50 flight we said we DID NOT want.... The manager at the Orlando airport said even the comments from the different agents didn't make sense....

I guess I have to write that letter, I'll be doing that tonight after the kids go to bed!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter