Longaberger Warehouse

jennyL

<font color=00cc00>Jon Bon Jovi. Ohh La La!<br><fo
We are taking a trip to Ohio in July and thinking of stopping here. Has anyone been? What should I expect? I'll admit I like the baskets but don't own any. As hard as it is to believe I've never been invited to a party. hmm maybe it has to do with me working with almost all guys. Anybody have any favorite pieces they would recomend and what they are used for?

I like their baskets too, but I don't own any of them, because they are just way too much money!!! It might be worth going to the factory and checking it out, they might have sales there on seconds or last years pieces. You never know! They do have a really nice bread warming basket that has the stone that goes inside it. The baskets are just very well made, so anything you get will be worth it.

OOH they have a factory you can tour? Cool! I only have 1 of their baskets it has a plastic liner that comes out for wiping down. I really like it -- although I didn't buy it myself. It was a gift from a friend who really likes Longaberger.

Not been myself, but speaking as a historic preservation interested in architecutre it is one of the nations cooler buildings. The Building is literally a huge basket. I also like there baskets, but out of my price range for what they are. I understand thought that the plant is pretty darn cool. Sorry didn't help much. :)

We went there about four years ago. I loved it. I do have some of their baskets since my sister used to sell them (long time ago) and I've gotten some for gifts. The bread basket mentioned is nice. I use mine for bread on special occasions, and for CDs (without the plastic protector) on a daily basis (looks nice in the entertainment armoire).

When I was there, you could not get the regular line of baskets. I'm assuming that hasn't changed. It has to do with not cutting into the consultants' business. You could get the tour basket of the year. I like mine. There was another one (some sort of golf-theme basket), but it didn't interest me. There were fabric liners there, not in the regular line colors. Nothing clearanced, nothing on sale. Last year's models only go up in price on the "secondary market". There is even a book that shows values from different years for different styles.

One thing I really enjoyed was getting to make my own basket. That was really neat. They usually have a few to pick from, and they were styles from the regular line, but not stained. I got to work with one of the weavers, and when we finished, she signed my basket.

They have Longaberger family members there to sign baskets that you get there or bring from home. Some signatures can bring the value of your basket up. Grandma Bonnie is supposed to be a rare one that can really increase value.

The food there at the homestead was very good.

The factory there at the homestead is neat to see. The big basket office building at a different location is cool too, but not much to see inside.

I've been out of the Longaberger basket loop for a while, but I hope that helps.

Thanks guys. My mom and I are pretty excited. I'm hoping to at least drive by the basket building even though its in another location. I'll have to let everyone know how it goes when I get back.

You're coming to my neck of the woods! Corporate headquarters is the basket bulding and it's about 20 minutes, all highway, away from the homestead (which is not the same as the factory). I'm not sure if you can still tour the factory since they opened the homestead. They moved the make a basket to the homestead and they just opened a large retail space where they will sell current baskets. The space is set up so consultants that bring tour groups can use the space for a show. I believe it showcases every current basket. Here's their web site http://www.longaberger.com/visitUs.aspx

Let me know if I can answer any more questions.

I'm glad I read your update, Bobcat. The current basket thing wasn't there when I was. (I asked because there was a certain basket I was thinking I'd get to buy while I was there.) I never toured a separate factory, either. They had something at the Homestead where I made my basket where you could watch the basketmakers and see how they were made. I thought that was the factory. I didn't realize there was another place.

I've looked at the website and can't wait to go. This should be a fun different place. hmm if I have a large choice to buy I could do some serious damage. LOL

I love Longaberger baskets but haven't bought any for at least 8 years. When I first saw them, you could always go to a show & get a small basket for not much money. Then they changed & made those really small baskets hostess only - either for purchase or as a thank you. I was very disappointed because not only couldn't I afford the bigger ones, but I'd started a collection of them & had them hanging on a lamp specially made to display them. I ended up filling with other types.

Can I make a suggestion? Whatever you get, make sure you spend the few dollars extra to get the plastic protector to go with it - even if you think you won't use it!! They'll always discontinuing things & someday you might decide you'd like to use it for something you need the protector for.

My sister had gotten the apple basket years & years ago. They didn't have protectors then. A few years ago she gave it to me & I didn't have a real idea what to use it for so I didn't get the protector immediately. By the time I realized it made a great trash basket under my desk, the protector wasn't available. So now I have this gorgeous basket with a stupid plastic grocery bag to catch the bits of trash in it. It hides some of the basket too so it doesn't look nearly as nice as it should. :(

Other than the bread basket, the other one I like that is really useful is the one that holds a casserole dish. (can't think of the name of it) It has 2 swing handles on top. It sits on my portable dishwasher holding the bags of chips, pretzels, etc and I pull those out to carry dishes to family dinners or when someone has a new baby. That one has both the cloth liner & plastic protector.

Oh - and another one! You couldn't get the exact one I have as it was a Mother's Day basket one year, but it's a small one that I use on my desk/scrap table to hold little bits of junk I'm not ready to put away yet. I have all kinds of uses for these things! ;)

Oh I hadn't thought of that baskets to place on my scrap desk to hold goodies. hmmm I'll have to give that one some thought.

I don't have any of the baskets so the plastic liners are new to me. I'll definetly look for them while I'm there when I decide what I want to get.

There was a lady at a crop last week that used one of the large round ones with the plastic dividers for her scrapbppk stuff. Around here I see a lot of them and people really put them to use.

Also if you see a fabric liner or basket bow you like get it because they change them periodically.

Have an update on the factory tours, you can still tour the factory. They have a shuttle at the homestead that will take you to the factory now. I was at a crop last night and was talking with a lady that works at Longaberger so I had to ask about it. She also said the new store is wonderful and that they have had some great sales. If you have a consultant make sure you have her phone number as that is how they are id at the store and they can get credit for your purchases. If you don't have a consultant pm me and I can pass this ladies info to you.

Hello,
I hope you do not mind me jumping in here... I was a weaver for Longaberger for a few years. It was a very fun job and a great company to work for.

I wanted to make a suggestion about the tour of the factory. If you want to see the weavers in action take your tour as early as possible. I would say that 90% of the weavers are gone before 3 PM. The weavers work by piece rate on a quota system. Once they reach their quota (different for each basket) they are free to leave. Most will continue working until the make a certain dollar amount. However the senior weavers are the ones on the first shift and they are very good at what they do, and fast. So they make quota and leave. Have a great tour.

I have not been since last year, but I remember at the homestead everyday at a certain time they have a parade and a flag ceremony where they release doves. It was very nice, and the kids loved it. We also suggest the one bite sundaes at Popeye’s restaurant in Dresden if you are going to shop there as well.

Lacy

Thanks for all the updated information. I can't wait to go. We will be there on a Saturday so I'm not sure if they have factory tours that day or not. It said to call and see if they were but since thats the only day we can be there we are just going to check once we get there.

My two vices are Longaberger and Disney!! I've collected Longaberger for quite some time and have many baskets and their pottery. You will NOT be disappointed if you stop at the Factory -- called Homestead. First, take the factory tour. It is really interesting. You walk in, go up an escalator and then can look over the balcony at all that is going on on the factory floor. You can stand and watch for as long as you like. Different lines/workers are weaving different baskets. Plus, as you walk along the balcony, there is a history of the company and all the products they make. You also have an opportunity to make your own basket with the help of one of their weavers. Very fun.

You can not buy baskets from the catalog here. They protect their dealers this way. However, there are 3 baskets that you can buy. One is the tour basket, one is the Dresden basket and the other is the Golf basket. Each is different every year. And there are lots of accessories you can buy for these baskets.

Next door is Homestead. This is like a giant house -- each room represents a room in your home. Tons and tons of neat decorations, kitchen items, food items and clothing to buy. This is just very neat place to shop! Specialty items, items that you can not find anywhere else. Of course, it all goes well with Longaberger products.

And to top it off, at least 2 members of Dave Longaberger's family -- usually brothers and sisters are there in a special area to sign any Longaberger basket for you. You can either bring one from home or buy one of the ones mentioned above. They do limit each person to 2 signed baskets if they are busy.

So definitely stop! Are they a little expensive? Yes, I wish they weren't so much -- but I love them. The quality is great and after you know the history, you will be hooked too!

pegster56 they actually opened a new area this past spring where you can buy catalog items. If you have a rep then all you need is their phone number so they will get credit. It is open to the public unless a rep is holding a party. One of the reasons they built it is so reps that bring tour groups can hold a party right at the homestead.

i agree the homestead is absolutely breathtaking!! the food was great too.

i say take the tour first and then look around. in the barn you can make your own basket. i wish i had done that.

if i get back to ohio next year i am heading back there and see how much it has changed.

i even met two of the children of the family. they were their signing baskets.

Don't know if you've already had your trip yet but if not don't leave out Dresden. Homestead and factory tour are nice but Dresden is not to be missed too.:goodvibes
If you're looking for secondary baskets or any kind of accessory they have it. Also the plastic protectors mentioned. A lot of the shops in Dresden have plastic protectors available for all baskets new and old. Some of the shops have "bargain bins" too. All baskets in bin for $49 or less and some bins of $25 or less. Some store also have shelves of seconds if you're looking for them. I buy a lot of fabric liners from the shops that make them custom. These aren't Longaberger liners but I like them because you can get exactly what you want. They have countless ones already made but if they don't have the size you need in the fabric you want they'll custom make it at no extra charge.

I went to the Homestead a couple of years ago while out that way on business. I bought some baskets, some ornaments and visited the sale area and got a bunch of stuff for my friend that used to sell Longaberger.

I had a chance to make my own basket. It is sitting on my nightstand holding all my perfumes.

Definitely a memory worth having! Hope you go and have loads of fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter