• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Long waits for furniture

I guess I got lucky and didn't even know it. I moved into a new build house last May so the kitchen appliances must have been received before all the shortages started. I was able to get a washer and dryer in about a week. Furniture was another issue but not nearly as bad as I'm reading here. Took about 8 weeks for 5 pieces of living room and bedroom furniture last spring/summer. That was in three separate deliveries including having to replace a piece that the salesman ordered in error. Got a TV with no real delay and when I bought a entertainment center a couple of months ago, I had to go with my second choice, but it arrived in less than two weeks. I was just getting ready to go shopping for a few more pieces but this does not sound encouraging.

Don't get me started. I moved into my new house at the beginning of the pandemic and the last 14 months have been a nightmare for trying to furnish a house from scratch. I’ve bought four couches, none of which we ever received. I have two damaged desks boxed up and taking up a parking space in my garage because no one can be bothered to come pick them up. I’ve been waiting for a company to refund my $800 for the (completely smashed and in no way usable) damaged cabinet the freight company hauled away more than a month ago for return. An item I bought in January with a delivery date of March just notified me the new delivery date will be some time in August. I don’t honestly expect to ever receive it. Somewhere, out in the universe, is an armoire that was supposed to be here a month ago. The authorization for the charge pops up on my credit card no less than twice a month before falling off into the abyss. Still no sign of the actual piece of furniture. Of the handful of pieces I have actually received, only one — ONE — a small accent table, arrived on time and without damage. 🤬

Ugh, I guess I got started.
Another thread reminded me of this one so I came here to give an update to my earlier post, above.

The two damaged desks are still sitting in my garage and we have no idea what to do with them. We ordered a coffee table, the first of which arrived with a couple large scratches across the top, before the company sent a replacement. The company declined to take back the scratched table, so now we have a duplicate coffee table that we’re trying to figure out what to do with. We did finally get our $800 refund for the smashed cabinet, but it’s been out of stock ever since so we haven’t been able to order a replacement. Still waiting until August on the item that was supposed to be here in March. The armoire that was MIA did finally show up three months late and it wasn’t even damaged, so that’s a win. We ordered an outdoor playhouse for the kids from a seller on Etsy that shipped a month late and is theoretically in transit now. We’ll see.

Our biggest breakthrough is that, after a year of trying, we finally got a couch. We tried the local in-person shopping thing towards the end of May and were given delivery estimates for January, :faint: and even that came with the disclaimer that they couldn’t promise we’d even get it by then. So, we scrapped that idea and ordered an in-stock couch off of Amazon. It was a couch that I had passed up previously because it wasn’t exactly what I wanted, but by that point I just wanted to put an end to the madness. It arrived within two weeks and I love it, because a couch I can sit on is worth a dozen on backorder.

Since my last post, I ordered a storage bench from Amazon that arrived undamaged and on time. I also bought two ottomans from Amazon that arrived promptly and in perfect condition, as well as a console table from Amazon that… well, that one got delivered to a random house in New Jersey instead of to me in Atlanta, but they got it sorted out quickly and my replacement arrived within a few days. I’m expecting another bench tomorrow and I’m fairly confident it will be on time and in one piece because, you guessed it, Amazon. It took me more than a year to figure out the secret to furnishing a house during the pandemic but now I know — buy everything from Amazon.

I’ll update my original post as well. We are still waiting for all of our living and dining room furniture. I ordered back in March. I did finally get the blinds installed, but the module for the hardwire power is still backordered. I ordered patio furniture in mid-June and haven’t received that yet. The fire table I wanted is backordered a full year so I have to pick something else. My mirrors for the master bath finally arrived. I’m still waiting for the mirrors for the other two bathrooms. I still have lights, a TV, bbq, and a dishwasher backordered as well.

Another apparent factor, huge demand. People staying home for a year, not going to bars, restaurants, and vacations are now sitting on piles of cash they saved being home.

I guess this explains why people were so interested in seeing what furniture my neighbors had at their moving sale this past weekend. They are downsizing and moving about 50 miles away, so they got a storage unit at the new location and moved the furniture they are keeping, and were selling everything else. They don’t have kids or pets, so the stuff was in good condition.

During the Great Texas Snowpocalypse, a pipe burst in the ceiling of my best friend’s house. It took more than a week before she could get a plumber and more than a month before the insurance company would get to her. As a result, her kitchen, living room, dining room, and entry have to be taken down to the studs. It’s been a nightmare for her to get anything done, much less get appliances.

We have to get lots of landscaping work done because of the freeze. So far, I’ve had 5 landscapers ghost me since March. We need to get work done to our kitchen. I told my dh that it will have to wait until next year.

OP here, my couch I originally ordered 1st of February with an August delivery is now pushed to November. I am looking for new area rugs now, I want 2 matching on first floor to tie together spacing. So far everything I have really liked is out of stock or back ordered.

We have to get lots of landscaping work done because of the freeze. So far, I’ve had 5 landscapers ghost me since March.
I lost 75 feet of fencing in a wind storm January 28. The fencing company will be out August 2 to fix it. Yup, 7 month wait.

Sweet! I check my order status every couple week or so. Mine still shows mid November. But Im hoping for an October surprise.

I ordered a dining table about 4 weeks ago and it should be here within 2 weeks but we shall see. I keep forgetting I ordered one

we need a new fridge but the places near us won’t even let us place an order for the one we want since they have no idea when or if they will be getting them. Thankfully the fridge still works (freezer broken) and we have two other freezers but it would be nice to get that at least ordered.

I ordered a dining table about 4 weeks ago and it should be here within 2 weeks but we shall see. I keep forgetting I ordered one

we need a new fridge but the places near us won’t even let us place an order for the one we want since they have no idea when or if they will be getting them. Thankfully the fridge still works (freezer broken) and we have two other freezers but it would be nice to get that at least ordered.

Yah we have been looking at fridges off and on for the last year. With all the delays and price increases on them currently we figure we will just wait and see if inventory gets better in the next year. Of course ours is still working fine, I would just like to switch out to top/bottom from side to side and my husband wants the LG craft ice feature.

It's funny this thread came back up - I've been waiting 2 weeks for Home Depot to get me "ship to store" trash cans (so I can pick them up). This is longer than the original "planned date", so I sent the spouse into the store on Saturday to see if they were there yet, and they had no large outdoor trash cans. So, I guess that shipping container from China still hasn't unloaded.

Now, I know why Amazon wanted almost double the price for the same cans - maybe I should have bought it there b/c I'd have them...

Found a great price on a Phillip Starck ghost chair online and pressed the button.

Yes well then I realized I was committed to buy 2 ( only sold in even #s via this shop. Sigh) and delivery would take approximately 2 months. Oh and when asked why two chairs instead of the one the rep brightly told me I could sell the other one….I really wanted to say “No, s__t, Sherlock!” but my mother taught me better manners. Pfft.

The chair was in Europe so I didn’t think the delivery time was outrageous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter