• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Long range RFID tracking sensors installed

For the record ... I've done enough security systems work as a part of my construction projects to know that those are actually short range RFID sensors. They have focused range, which is why they are over the doors ... most likely to track entry and exit and not much more.

Now, that's not to say that Disney won't be expanding the use of those RFID sensors down the road. Why go to the expense of installing a VERY complicated system other wise? And I've been told that Disney security already has access to more long range sensor devices to use in case of emergencies, which also makes sense.

Those with privacy concerns are likely over-reacting right now, but down the road ... who knows?

I gasped when I saw the picture, not because of the thought of being tracked by long range RFID sensors but because we make those units at my place of employment.

These are not RFID sensor units, they are a camera system most commonly used at entrances of major retailers to collect shopper information but they can be placed any where a store needs to collect data. (number of people passing through, are they leaving with a cart, and all sorts of demographic type data.)

About 2 months ago we had a huge run on these units, typically we don't know where the units will be installed. I guess we now know why we were so busy building these units a few weeks ago. Pretty cool to say that something that my place of employment made is installed at WDW!

I gasped when I saw the picture, not because of the thought of being tracked by long range RFID sensors but because we make those units at my place of employment.

These are not RFID sensor units, they are a camera system most commonly used at entrances of major retailers to collect shopper information but they can be placed any where a store needs to collect data. (number of people passing through, are they leaving with a cart, and all sorts of demographic type data.)

Makes sense. We put in something very similar a couple of months ago at a State Government run retail shop here in my city. The ones we installed had both camera and RFIS function, but with a very narrow, defined range.

Disney and the NSA are friends.

:rotfl2:

foilhats_400.jpg

:rotfl:

About 2 months ago we had a huge run on these units, typically we don't know where the units will be installed. I guess we now know why we were so busy building these units a few weeks ago. Pretty cool to say that something that my place of employment made is installed at WDW!

THIS is really neat info! Thanks!

I'm no conspiracy theorist or anything, but these things do seem a bit weird to me. Creepy is a good word too. It's bad enough that google reads your gmail and shows you advertisements on your mail screen based on some key words within those emails. To me, that's creepy as well.

The first email I get from Disney that reads..."We noticed you shopped at the Disney store on June 24th at 5:30 pm but didn't buy anything. Was there a reason why?" I will throw those magic bands right into the fireplace.

:thumbsup2

At least Disney is telling us and making it sound like "fun" Everything is tracked and sold/kept. It all can be used against anyone. With all the info and combined info all are collecting, you would be surprised at what can be manufactured to say about someone. So many say they don't care-aren't doing anything wrong and shrug it off. If you don't agree with all this, yes, a conspiracy theorist! Even a dr. told my friend she was one for questioning a procedure!

"Everything is tracked and sold/kept. It all can be used against anyone."

I do believe you missed my point. If I buy something, then sure my package as well as possibly my credit card and whatever else is tracked. But if I simply BROWSED and did not buy anything, and they tracked THAT, then used that to spam me, well, then they just lost that ability.

I'm one of those people who doesn't give the department store my phone number or zip code either though. Check out Bill Burr's great riff on this when the cashier doesn't know what to put into the register because you won't give them your number..."Well, you better lean on the keyboard then sweetheart!!!"

Burr is great, but even he admits he sees too many black helicopters! :cool2:

I recognize the potential benefits......I think it would be great if Disney knew, for instance, how many of the guests attending a current showing of Fantasmic are staying at Pop Century and could adjust their bus schedule based on that. I just don't have much faith in them to use it that way; I think they'll be too busy committing resources to tracking spending habits and trying to sort marketing information out of the tea leaves.

I'm no conspiracy theorist or anything, but these things do seem a bit weird to me. Creepy is a good word too. It's bad enough that google reads your gmail and shows you advertisements on your mail screen based on some key words within those emails. To me, that's creepy as well.

The first email I get from Disney that reads..."We noticed you shopped at the Disney store on June 24th at 5:30 pm but didn't buy anything. Was there a reason why?" I will throw those magic bands right into the fireplace.

How about the phone call from the "Executive offices" that starts out "I hope you don't mind but I went into your MyExperience account and saw you had FP for......)"

Hmmm I'm on a WDW vacation. I get tracked going in to tons of WDW merchandise stores. I even make WDW purchases. What 3rd party will WDW be selling my interests to?

"Hey BuzzinDownToDisney, we saw that while on a Walt Disney World Vacation you purchased a large plush Mickey Mouse for your son, can we interest you in a cell phone?"

I do believe you missed my point. If I buy something, then sure my package as well as possibly my credit card and whatever else is tracked. But if I simply BROWSED and did not buy anything, and they tracked THAT, then used that to spam me, well, then they just lost that ability.

I'm one of those people who doesn't give the department store my phone number or zip code either though. Check out Bill Burr's great riff on this when the cashier doesn't know what to put into the register because you won't give them your number..."Well, you better lean on the keyboard then sweetheart!!!"
When you give a zip/phone number and pay with CC they can match up the info amd use it for whatever they choose-sell/market for themselves etc.

That's great information.

Burr is great, but even he admits he sees too many black helicopters! :cool2:

I recognize the potential benefits......I think it would be great if Disney knew, for instance, how many of the guests attending a current showing of Fantasmic are staying at Pop Century and could adjust their bus schedule based on that. I just don't have much faith in them to use it that way; I think they'll be too busy committing resources to tracking spending habits and trying to sort marketing information out of the tea leaves.

I don't mind when I am spending money in the stores, or even if they tracked every minute I am in the park and every ride I go on and when I go onto the ride. Really the only thing that would bug me is if they start asking questions about things they shouldn't be asking questions about.

And yeah, Burr is a bit of a conspiracy theorist himself, but he is damn funny. When he starts talking about how he forgot his apron because he didn't realize he was working that day because the grocery store has the self-checkout...or how he paid for 100% of the sandwich, so he expects them to give him 100% of the sandwich he ordered how he ordered it and that he isn't getting paid to put his own mayo on it...that whole bit always cracks me up.

Sorry, that explanation isn't as exciting as long range RFID sensors.

Can you provide any details on how they work? :teacher:

There are tracking devices in some stores that will link to your smartphone and track etc. Also, there are some stores Macy's I believe was one that have facial recon. that will figure age/measure time spent at a location etc. When all this technology gets better most likely FB profile etc can be intermingled to really track.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter