Long Lasting Cars

MMluvsWDW

Forever Mickey's
We're looking at buying a used car for 5 or 6,000 and I am wondering if anyone has recommendations on good long lasting vehicles. In a dream world I would prefer and suv/matrix type car but we realize we're not able to be too picky. Any suggestions?

I know Toyota is going through some issues now but they are very, very good cars, usually lasting many years and having many miles on them. Of course, the most crucial thing is regular maintenance, especially scheduled oil changes.

We had a Corolla that got 200K miles and was about 10 years old...dh now has a 2003 RAV4 that has over 150K and runs like a top. We just bought a 2010 Camry (b4 the recalls were announced) and we are very happy with it as well.

DH made sure i know to just switch the key off in an emergency...I just hope I never have to try it!

The April issue of Consumer Reports magazine has all the info you need to make a choice. I can't encourage you enough to find a copy of it and take good notes.

Besides telling you which ones are good, it shows you which ones to avoid as well!

Hi. The Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe are related cars. The Vibe was built under some joint venture agreement between GM and Toyota I beleive. Anyway, with the demise of Pontiac I have read you can get good deals on Vibes, inlcuiding used ones. You might want to investigate that possibility further.

Subaru Outbacks are great! I bought mine with 87,000 miles on it and my son still drives it years later. I had a Subaru sedan that lasted to 239,000 miles and was still running great and another that my son finally killed at around 200,000 miles.

I'm driving Hondas now and just bought an Accord for $5000. It's a 1990 model with 91,000 miles on it, but I think it will last us for a lot of miles.

Sheila

My husband drives a 13 year old Toyota 4 Runner with almost 200,000 miles on it. Other than new tires and an oil change, nothing has been done to it. It still has the original brakes.

Toyota and Honda have both been the top cars for years as to dependability and how long they last.

Whatever you do, I encourage you not to just take the opinion of Jane Doe who owned a Toyota for 20 years. There are a lot of opinions out there about what cars last longest, but it's better to get actual data. There are Toyotas and Hondas that are duds, too. Also, everyone has a varying opinion about what "lasts." Some people complain about a car's reliability when they had to replace the breaks or do other normal maintenance things.

I really like these:
http://autos.msn.com/home/reliability_ratings.aspx
http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/reliability.html

I agree with the pp. Go to the public library and check out Consumer Reports. They have an annual article that gives the most reliable used cars in various price ranges.

We just bought the 4th Honda CRV on DH's side of the family. DMIL bought one last year, DBIL's is still gonig strong at 200k miles. Same with DH's aunt's which she has passed on to a teenage daughter.

Toyota:thumbsup2

I have a 2007 Camry with 90K miles on it. Haven't had to do a thing to it yet.

My sis has a 2000 Camry with 215,000 miles on it. Still runs like a charm :thumbsup2

Consumer Reports is based on year old data. Their advice is also widely viewed as suspect. Keep in mind that their original advice on CD players was they didn't sound better than records and the format wasn't going to last.

Check out recent relevant data at TrueDelta.com. Or use Edmunds.com.

my experience may be unique, but i am driving a 1994 GMC Jimmy with 205,000+ miles on it, and it is still going strong. we've replaced the usual parts-battery, alternator, thermostat, but nothing major. my DH is a mechanic and keeps it in top shape, so i guess that helps, but it has been a great vehicle and i wouldn't hesitate to by another GM car, if i needed one. i can also tell you that several honda models are made at a plant not far from my home, and the quality is second to none.

Today I drove DH's 1996 GMC Sierra that has (wait for it) 330,000 miles on it, and is still going strong! Regular oil changes and tires, that's been about it. He's afraid to even look at newer trucks, because this one has set such a high standard!

Myself: I bought a 2003 Subaru Forester and have been VERY happy with it, very reliable. I plan on driving it "until it drops". They're hard to find used for a good reason, people drive them forever.

Terri

Honda! I went through 3 cars (not Hondas) while my brother owned 1 Honda Accord. I bought a Honda CR-V 5 years ago, and have not had one bit of trouble. Plan on keeping it for another 5 years!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter