• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Long drive down I-75

pbryan

Earning My Ears
We're considering pulling our trailer down to the Fort next summer from the Detroit area. I've done the drive once before, but only in a car. Does anybody have any suggestions for overnight camping stops along the way? I'm expecting to break it up into 3 days, maybe a short one on the 3rd day...

Thanks,
--Paul

We always stay here. Not fancy but safe and super nice owners.
http://www.southerngates.com/

There is a KOA in Manchester Tn on I-24, easy in and out. There is also a KOA in Forsyth Ga on I-75 easy in and out.

We're considering pulling our trailer down to the Fort next summer from the Detroit area. I've done the drive once before, but only in a car. Does anybody have any suggestions for overnight camping stops along the way? I'm expecting to break it up into 3 days, maybe a short one on the 3rd day...

Thanks,
--Paul

Hello from Lake Orion Michigan! :cool1:

We have made the trip several times. It really depends on how hard you want to push, but we have been able to make the trip comfortably over two days.

Typically we stop on the way down at the Sweetwater KOA in TN, about half way between Knoxville and Chattanooga. They always give us a pull through close to the bath house, so it is really easy in and out. It is about 1.5 miles off I-75. It is also a little over 1/2 way.

Leaving by 7 or 7:30 the next morning we have always been able to get to FW in time to check in, set up, clean up and make dinner reservations in the evening. Normally we arrive around 3:30 - 4:30.

Plan on a total drive time of between 19 and 21 hours (including stops for gas and food).

If you want to spread it out, there are several options in Kentucky and Georgia south of Atlanta. The KOA in Corbin, KY is very nice, and there are a lot of options around Lexington.

We stayed at the Valdosta, GA KOA last year (actually started the trip from Columbus, OH). This was a good choice. Again, we got a pull through. It was clean and quiet. Perfect for what we were looking for, and made for a really short trip into FW the next day - we arrived before Noon. :dance3:

One thing to keep in mind - Traffic around Atlanta can be really bad - Washington DC, Boston, NY kind of bad. I would avoid Atlanta at rush hour (3:00 onward in the PM) at any cost. I didn't do that last year on the return trip home and really regretted it. :sad1:

Good luck!

Hello from Metamora MI! I agree with pp....look for KOA. Very clean. Easy on and off of freeway. Have fun. Our drive begins in 66 days. So excited!

Atlanta ! Use the HOV lane and don't take the loop. I use the HOV lane and go right down I 75 no lane changes and its a breeze!

Atlanta ! Use the HOV lane and don't take the loop. I use the HOV lane and go right down I 75 no lane changes and its a breeze!

Were you pulling a trailer? If so, are you sure it is legal in GA? Pulling a trailer is not allowed in HOV lanes in most places. I'm betting Atlanta is one of them, though I would be happy to be proven wrong! :)

This question of the use of HOV lanes has been bugging me also so I called the Atlanta Police Dept of Public Affairs , 404-548-6873 pressed option 0 and spoke to a nice person who said that a vehicle with two or more passengers pulling an RV trailer was just fine in the HOV lanes.

Hope this helps

Paul

This question of the use of HOV lanes has been bugging me also so I called the Atlanta Police Dept of Public Affairs , 404-548-6873 pressed option 0 and spoke to a nice person who said that a vehicle with two or more passengers pulling an RV trailer was just fine in the HOV lanes.

Hope this helps

Paul

That's Awesome! :cool1:

My SIL is a cop in Norcross Ga and says I am good towing. I have never had any issues. She just said not to hold up traffic.

My SIL is a cop in Norcross Ga and says I am good towing. I have never had any issues. She just said not to hold up traffic.

I have been known to fracture the speed limit even while towing (Hensley Hitch and a 6,500 lb loaded trailer towing with a Silverado rated at 9.600 lbs), so that shouldn't be an issue for me :thumbsup2

I'll not tell my DW this though. She normally wants to come home on Friday, arriving Saturday afternoon. I told her we will have to delay until Saturday due to Atlanta traffic. No need to deprive myself of an additional day at Disney. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter