Long Distance calls & internet access???

Alannah

Earning My Ears
Do any of you have a preferred method for making calls back home to Canada while at the resorts? I've read it can be very expensive calling from the rooms, but do they even accept our calling cards if I go to a payphone to phone? Or is it better to puchase one of the long distance cards from Post Office or gas station etc. Any thoughts or ideas from anyone? (My 14 year old is desperate not to leave his friends and I'd like to be able to let him phone them from time to time). Although we've never been to DisneyWorld (we leave in 2 wks) I think he'd actually stay behind !!! if we'd let him, rather than leave his friends!! Also, what about internet access throughout the parks or resorts. We're staying at Port Orleans. Do you know if they have internet access in the rooms? Thanks for any input.

They do accept our calling cards with no problem, but do NOT just dial out from the hotel or pay otherwise you're still using their carrier. Make sure you dial
1-800-555-1111 and you'll be put through to a Canadian carrier.

Last Year We Used The 1-800 -collect, My Bill Didn't Show It To Be A Great Saving, So Can We Use This For Collect Calls, Or Charge To Our Home #?

You use it if you have a calling card with your local phone company.

When you use a calling card from a hotel or a payphone, all it really means is that the cost for whatever number your calling gets billed to your home phone. Sometimes the hotels (and payphones) use long distance providers that charge ridiculous amounts for long distance. If you are using a calling card (not one of those pre-paid long distance cards, but a calling card) then by dialing the 1-800-555-1111 first you're connected to a Canadian long distance carrier, perhaps even your own, and you end up paying a significantly lower rate.

As for the prepaid long distance cards, I haven't found one in Canada yet that's a good deal for calling from the US to Canada. Good for within Canada or TO the US, but not from. I did buy one at Target though a few months ago. I bought one of the more expensive ones, it was $20 and worked out to 300+ minutes of talk time. Read the rates on them carefully, I found the "international" one gave better rates for calls to Canada than the standard card.

Also be aware that if you use a prepaid long distance card from a payphone you'll be whacked with a surcharge, usually deducted an extra 9 minutes or so.

Something else to be on the watch for: We were at a Residence Inn last month and discovered that a toll-free call isn't always toll-free. For that hotel the call was free up to 30 minutes, then the hotel started charging 10 cents a minute too.

From a Disney hotel you dial 8 - 0 then the number you're calling. At that point you put in your Bell Calling card number and pin and then you're through. On my home bill I'm charged the same rate as if I called myself (I think). The hotel will charge your room 75 cents per call whether you use a 1-800 number or your own calling card. The DVC villas do not get charged the 75 cents. You can pay for unlimited high speed access at some of the resorts. It was $9.95 plus tax for a 24 hour period. We used it three days when we were down in November. (How else are you supposed to keep up with what's on the boards :smooth: )

DO NOT dial 8 - 1 plus the number. You are then using the hotel's long distance carrier. I did this by accident last week and the charge on my bill was $14.91 for a one minute call. :earseek:

The best option is to have whoever is left behind call your hotel. Then they pay the bill and they get the best deal.

Hope this helps!!

When we were at Disney last March, we purchased the $10 prepaid 60 minute card at WalMart. We used a pay phone and only got 15 minutes of talk time.

With this in mind I checked into www.Yak.ca. They'll send you a travel card so calls are billed to visa. The rate, with a pay phone from anywhere in the US to Canada is 10 cents per minute. In Canada its 5 cents per minute to anywhere in Canada or US. You just swipe the card. If you call from home, dial 10-10-925 followed by the number you wish to call and it's 5 cents/min. billed to your phone company who in turn bill you. I have heard of others using this service and were pleased with it. We're hopeful it works like they promise.

:moped: :moped:

I've used Yak at home for over a year, wasn't aware that they offered a card!

As for the prepaid card you had, that's why (I've unfortunately found) you have to be extremely careful to purchase the "international" ones. The regular ones have higher rates (and therefore surcharges) when calling out of the US. I now have one of the regular ones for calls within the US, and the international one for calls back home.

I'll probably check out the Yak card once this one runs out (but I still have 4+ hours left on it)

We got NAILED with this one in August. Every time we've gone previously, we have always used the pay phones with our calling card, and have had reasonable rates. This past August, we used the pay phones at BWV and I was phoning home to get a hold of my friend to see if the dog was alright, and was never able to get a hold of him. Our answering machine kicked in, and I hung up. Each time I did that, we were charged $7.00 Cnd on our MTS phone bill! I couldn't believe it was humanly possible to charge that much for what would be considered less than a 1 minute call. All I have to say is CALLER BEWARE!

Linda

I didn't know there were so many responses here to my question as usually I get notice on my email, but for whatever reason I must have missed it. What an eye opener re long distance calls. Thanks. Right now I do have a Canada US card that my mother got from the post office and gave to us so we'll use that until it runs out. According to the card there are 250 mins on it but I understand after reading the above posts we may not get that many. Good to be prepared. One week from tonight we leave! :Pinkbounc

I just got my Bell Canada phone bill and my calls from Florida to London, ON using my bell calling card cost me 30cents a minute. The same as what I pay to call Florida from home.

Amberle3 said:
They do accept our calling cards with no problem, but do NOT just dial out from the hotel or pay otherwise you're still using their carrier. Make sure you dial
1-800-555-1111 and you'll be put through to a Canadian carrier.

Hi, Amberle3!

Could we just use our cc with that number, or does it have to be a phone co card?

:sunny:

I *think* it has to be a phone company calling card, since the number connects you with a Canadian carrrier. When you're connected it asks the standard English or French question, and then you key in your calling card number and the number you're calling. And that's it.

When you call from the Disney resorts using 8 + 0 + the area code and number you are connected to AT & T. They may have a reciprocal deal with Bell and that's why I got the same rate. My sister called using the 1-800 number and she had no problem. You still get charged 75 cents by Disney for the call unless you're in the villas.

Have fun!!

I usually just have my family call me in my room... that way they pay the LD charges which is cheaper for them anyway. Otherwise, I just take my calling card with me and use a public pay phone.

Check out telesmt in Google, MSN for all your long distance needs very reliable honest and trustworthy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter