• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Long car trip help

tsk...tsk...tsk;)

...but I forgive you all since you all give such good advice on everything else!!:)

Another vote for TV/VCR combo. I agree with CatOne. This worked so well on our 10 hour drive we would not consider future long trips without it.

:D Neverlander

Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'till Morning !!

My boys are 7 & 8 and enjoy the tv/vcr floor unit we bought after the purchace of our 2000 Windstar. I love it even better! Prior to this we "gerry rigged" a metal basket on some PVC pipe and place the tv/vcr unit it in. Was OK but the speaker was on the passengers side! It drove me crazy at times!! Our new one has HEAdPHONES that go with it!!!!! All I hear is the occasional sound of pleasant laughter!! And the only fighting I hear is who gets to watch what movie first!!!:p

Get to use ours again in 12 days!!!:bounce:

WDW on July 4th!!!! (I know I'm:crazy: )

Jacquelyn:cool:

Try bringing some surprise toys or games to bring out when you see she is getting bored. It will take a while for the "newness" to wear off and give her something different to do.

We just got back this morning :(

We did all of our traveling at night and they slept right through. It was the BEST most uneventful trip of all!

but I'll tell you what we did when he was 8 or 9. We got him his own map and marked our route. Our trip took about 12 hours. We'd star an exit about every 2 hours travel time and when we passed that exit he could request a surprise. He loved following our route and the surprises gave him something to play with at the end of the trip or as we were traveling. Some of the surprises: a frizbee to use at the rest stop, books and books on tape, activity book, favorite cookies, trivia games, puzzles (like the rubic cube), auto bingo, travel games, and things of this nature. I wrapped each package and he got to choose one. He thought it was just like Christmas!

We now use the TV/VCR and game boy. We purchased headphones but I like to listen to the movies when I'm driving (unless I'm listening to a book on tape). We just returned and although I love talking with my son I can't talk and drive at the same time. :)

Carolyn

Originally posted by lmmollohan
One of our favorite parts of the trip is no TV and VCR!!

I agree with you, Lisa (of course, that's my DW's name, so maybe it's just out of habit).

When we bought our Nissan Quest, it came with a TV/VCR unit. Two years later, I still haven't installed it, because I don't want the TV to invade one of our last refuges. It's still in the box -- anyone want it?

- Andy (starting our 26 hour trip in 12 days!)

Take some small lunch bags and fill them with little games and toys a pieces of candy and give her a different one on the gong of each new hour shes good. Maybe throw her off with one bag being her lunch, some disney trinket, a couple of disney dollars for the disney store. Include a book and read her some stories etc. Be creative and you'll be amused right along with her. I know cause I do this for my wife.

... remember that hot cars and videocassettes make a bad combination. When we travel with videocassettes we store them in a little insulated lunch cooler bag; it's just the right size to hold them neatly, and it protects them from getting ruined by heat in a parked car.

Happy Motoring! (Extra points for anyone who knows the reference! ;)

A variation on the alphabet game mentioned earlier: You have to pick a name, a thing, and a place. First person says "Anna took an apple to Alabama" and so on.

In many stretches of highway there aren't as many billboards as there used to be, but we used to play an alphabet game with the billboards. Whe you say your letter you shouted out "O" in "Holiday Inn", and so forth. No two players could use the same letter in the same word. We had a lot of battles looking for those "Quality Inn" signs!!

we drove last july from new hampshire-26 hrs! we have the vcr in the car and took plenty
of movies, they brought books and games too. we also stopped a lot, just to let everyone stretch their legs, andalso to see a few sights on the way down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter