Long Beach Hotels?

tinytinkmom

I work to support my vacation habit!
Are there any hotels in Long Beach that offer a free shuttle to the port? Planning ahead for our October MR cruise... ;)

The port is in San Pedro, not Long Beach. There are hotels in San Pedro with free shuttles, but I doubt any that would be free from Long Beach.

We were on a March MR cruise and stayed at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro. The room was very comfortable with plenty of room for a family of 4. There are some food options within walking distance as well.

JK

The port is in San Pedro, not Long Beach. There are hotels in San Pedro with free shuttles, but I doubt any that would be free from Long Beach.

Someone posted in another thread that they stayed at a Residence Inn type of place in LB that had a shuttle. I can't seem to find the thread.

Is Long Beach a seriously dangerous place? I have reservation to stay the night in Downtown Long Beach, near the Queen Mary, but people have told me that the area is very dangerous and we shouldn't go out to dinner and definitely don't take a wrong turn! Yikes! :scared1: But then other points of view seem to suggest that it is safer than San Pedro area.

Suggestions?

Is Long Beach a seriously dangerous place? I have reservation to stay the night in Downtown Long Beach, near the Queen Mary, but people have told me that the area is very dangerous and we shouldn't go out to dinner and definitely don't take a wrong turn! Yikes! :scared1: But then other points of view seem to suggest that it is safer than San Pedro area.

Suggestions?

Parts of LB (the east side) can be pretty shady but the area near the waterfront is relatively safe.

That said, just like any other big city, I would stay in the tourist area, on main streets, be aware of your surroundings and don't walk alone at night.

Where are you thinking of staying?

Long beach is a pit. 15 minutes away is surf city USA - Huntington Beach. An amazing place to stay and have fun.

We're staying at the Comfort Inn in Long Beach. Seems like a decent area on the blue trans. line. We're going down a few days before the cruise so we needed something somewhere that was inexpensive and easy to get to and from. It will cost a bit to get to the port but it'll be worth it I think for this location and with my CAA card it's just around $100 a night for a king room.

Long beach is a pit. 15 minutes away is surf city USA - Huntington Beach. An amazing place to stay and have fun.

While I agree that HB is very nice, I think 15 minutes is an underestimate of the time it takes to get from one city to the other. Maybe, if you were looking at the extreme south border of LB and the very north border of HB it would take 15 minutes but, realistically, I would estimate closer to a half hour which makes it close to 45 minutes away from the Port of Los Angeles.

Not pushing LB over any other city but, for those without a car, taxi from Downtown LB is approx $25 to get to the port. Shuttles from SP are free to get to the port. Getting from Huntington Beach to the port is going to be much more expensive.

While I agree that HB is very nice, I think 15 minutes is an underestimate of the time it takes to get from one city to the other. Maybe, if you were looking at the extreme south border of LB and the very north border of HB it would take 15 minutes but, realistically, I would estimate closer to a half hour which makes it close to 45 minutes away from the Port of Los Angeles.

Not pushing LB over any other city but, for those without a car, taxi from Downtown LB is approx $25 to get to the port. Shuttles from SP are free to get to the port. Getting from Huntington Beach to the port is going to be much more expensive.

Thanks for giving me an idea how much a cab is from LB. I was going to book Supershuttle but it was going to be around $40 or so. :scared1: $25 - $30 doesn't seem so bad.

Suggestions?

Downtown Long Beach (near the waterfront areas) would be fine. There are some really bad parts of Long Beach but they are a bit farther away. The same for goes San Pedro (although I would probably be more comfortable in Downtown LB at night than I would be in San Pedro port area at night). But that said, we visit the port area in San Pedro during the day quite often to see the Wonder when she leaves on Sundays. There are some nice little museums, restaurants, a water fountain show, trolleys that you can ride all day for a dollar, etc.

Pretty much all of So California is like that. You can go from really great neighborhood to a very scary one within a matter of blocks. San Pedro has some sketchy areas but right up the hill from there are Million+ dollar homes in Rancho Palos Verdes, etc.

Just be careful and stick with the tourist areas and you will be fine :thumbsup2

We are staying at Crowne Plaza San Pedro....Is the area really unsafe??
What things are available to do?? Anything?? I read that they have a trolley...is this fun/safe for something to do in the afternoon?? :confused3

We are staying at Crowne Plaza San Pedro....Is the area really unsafe??
What things are available to do?? Anything?? I read that they have a trolley...is this fun/safe for something to do in the afternoon?? :confused3

Hmmm, how do I say this? Unsafe is a relative term. If you aren't used to big cities then you will be surprised. If you've been to big cities then you would know what to expect.

The Crowne Plaza itself is fine. There are are restaurants within walking distance which are safe. I wouldn't want to go exploring off the beaten path or in the evening. If you stick to the port side of the hotel, you should be fine.

As far as what there is to do in SP - IMO, not much. The trolley is nothing spectacular. Ports O'Call is not what it used to be. San Pedro is working on cleaning up that area but, IMO, the Aquarium of the Pacific and Seaport Village sections of LB have a lot more to see and do.

Again, Los Angeles and the suburbs of LA are big cities and a melting pot of personalities and ethnicities. You should always be aware of your surroundings, hold your children's hands while crossing streets and keep your valuables hidden.

You might call the hotel where you are thinking of staying. They would have a better estimate. Another way to get a general idea is from this site: http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=LA

Thanks for the link! Looks like it will be a little cheaper then the shuttle. So I'll probably get a cab. I just wish we didn't always have to have the car seats with us. Would make it so much easier to sight see around LA with out lugging them around.

We stayed in downtown Long Beach after the most recent repo from Vancouver. It's actually very nice for a short stay. I would recommend it.

Yeah, I can split the difference with you on that. I might be on the low end (although I would take pch from downtown huntington to San Pedro) if you have a choice, more time than arriving late at night, a couple extra bucks I would recommend downtown Huntington. Otherwise you are pretty much confined to a room and will miss out on an authentic California experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter