• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lone traveler. DDP? Worth it?

DekrRini

DIS Veteran
I'm already planning a trip for my birthday in December of 2012. Since I'll be traveling alone, will I save any money by using the DDP? I don't usually eat at TS restaurants and I'm usually content. My gut feeling says I won't save anything using the DDP. Am I right?

Vicki

I did three days solo with the DDP this September - mostly as an experiment. I enjoy TS meals, even alone, and like desserts. However, I found two things... (1) too much food for someone like me who doesn't exactly eat on a schedule and (2) I would save just as much with my TIW discount.

I did it for the first time this year and I actually liked it. 1) I got to try some new places and 2) it made me stop and rest and enjoy everything around me. I tend to not eat when I get excited and in sensory overload but with the DDP I had reseverations at places I wanted to try so I physically had to stop and eat. I actually used all of my TS all of my snacks and I left 2 CS on my card only because of time. I don't know how much I saved, but I know that since it was my birthday, I tended to try something that was normally out of my price range because I could....it was already paid for!
if you don't eat a lot I would suggest the quick service plan, at least you know you would make time to eat.

I think the 2 things to consider are:
1. Are you a foodie? Do you enjoy TS restaurants?
I am, and one of the big things I enjoy about Disney is sitting down for a nice meal.
2. Are you comfortable eating alone?
I'm not necessarily, but I've done it. With smart phones, it makes it much easier, as you can keep yourself occupied while waiting.

I've found that when I eat alone (anywhere, not just Disney), they sort of rush me through it. The service is always very fast... they want to flip the table and get a bigger party (ie. bigger tip) in. As a relaxing time, it's been pretty short.

I am, and one of the big things I enjoy about Disney is sitting down for a nice meal.
I'm not necessarily, but I've done it. With smart phones, it makes it much easier, as you can keep yourself occupied while waiting.

I've found that when I eat alone (anywhere, not just Disney), they sort of rush me through it. The service is always very fast... they want to flip the table and get a bigger party (ie. bigger tip) in. As a relaxing time, it's been pretty short.

Very good points! I don't mind eating alone, actually I kind of enjoy it, I don't have to maintain small talk and I can take as long as I wish with ordering or enjoying the atmosphere. I am very much a foodie and enjoy trying the different TS restaurants. I have to say I don't think I've ever been rushed out of place, even when it was busy, they were very nice to me. although since I kept ordering, they kept bringing stuff to me. I do tend to play on my smartphone or my Nintendo DS so I'm always entertained.

For me I enjoy TS dining very much, however I do not eat enough to use the DDP and actually save money.

I also do not get the Dining plan when I go solo.

I tried it last year and it took too much time to try to get all of the TS meals in by the end of the week.

I also prefer to sit at the bar and order a salad and an appetizer and then get dessert, rather than a full meal. I also stay at POR, so I like to go to the restaurants down there, but they are not on the dining plan - i.e. Paradiso 37.

To be honest, I've only eaten at two TS restaurants--Coral Reef many years ago and Tusker the summer of 2010 because I was hungry and it was there. The TS restaurants always seem so expensive. But I will admit that I've always wanted to try a few of them.

I eat alone at restaurants quite a bit so that doesn't bother me at all. I just tuck my Nook into the bag I carry and read while I eat.

Thanks, everyone! Your input has been very helpful!!

Vicki

My two cents worth... I like the DDP for several reasons- eating at Disney is expensive, and paying for the food upfront takes the sting out of consistently looking at the prices, also it has saved me money(I do enjoy the TS meals- visiting with the wait staff, people watching). Conversely, I have tried to go sans DDP, with the intent of saving money by eating in the room, etc.... But always end up spending MORE cuz I'd rather have someone do the cooking for me so my energy is spent on having a good time in the parks!!! I also like the option of picking the most expensive option for a TS meal and not worrying about cost!!

My two cents worth... I like the DDP for several reasons- eating at Disney is expensive, and paying for the food upfront takes the sting out of consistently looking at the prices,

totally agree...

last Oct. I did the DDP since I was with a big group and we have one TS everyday. After the TS for the day the CS and snack is basically free in my Disney math. TS ranges from $25-45 at an average... for the price of $35.99 well thats how see the CS and Snack being free...

I do the basic DDP when I am along 2 CS and a mug and a snack!!! I love eating at the CS of all the places I have been staying... again worth it in my opinion!!!

Just another opinion. I did six days in September solo without the meal plan and only spent 15-20 per day for food. I did counter service, or a large snack as a meal. I took counter service from the resort (POP) to my room to dine quietly. Also, I ordered a lot of KIDS MEALS! You get drink, fruit or veg, and a small entree. I didn't do any TS, so I can't speak to that, but I was really surprised at how cheaply one could eat at the parks. HTH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter