London & Paris ABD Trip Advice

I just got back from this trip a couple days ago. I also did the 2-night DLP add-on at Hotel NY. I made some notes while I was on the trip to answer some of the questions I had before I left that I was not able to find answers to. I was looking for little details, and most of the info I found was not as specific as what I wanted. I hope it helps someone taking this trip in the future.

And as a side note, I'm very glad I did this trip and did it through ABD. I had a wonderful time!

Hotels:
All of the hotels we stayed at had wifi available. Foxhills, Hotel du Collectionneur, and Hotel NY at DLP had free wifi. (So did both airports, LHR and CDG.)

All of the hotels had hairdryers. The ones in the UK were not in the bathroom. There were no outlets in the bathroom. At the Landmark the hairdryer was under the TV and at Foxhills it was in the desk. Both had outlets at the desk and a mirror above the desk to dry your hair there.

Foxhills had the UK outlets, Hotel du Collectionneur and Hotel NY had the Europe outlets, but at the desk the Landmark had the 230 UK outlet, the 230 Europe outlet, and a 110 US outlet. I took advantage of the US one to fully recharge my camera battery before we left.

There was no clock in my room at Foxhills or Hotel NY. I was very glad I had a watch with an alarm. Although I did get a Mickey wake-up call at Hotel NY. :smickey: (At least I think it was Mickey. He was speaking in a very rapid French so it was hard to tell first thing in the morning.)

Other things:
It was chilly, even at the beginning of July, in both London and Paris. I threw in a couple extra pairs of pants and some winter PJ's right before I closed my suitcase, and I am so glad I did!

However, I wish I hadn't taken the advice of some of the travel websites about how to avoid looking like a tourist. I should have kept both pairs of sneakers in my suitcase. At the last minute I traded one pair out for a nicer pair of shoes that I thought I could still do some good walking in. I was wrong. We did a LOT of walking. Wear whatever you would wear for a full day at WDW. And of course the pair I took out was my more waterproof pair. My mistake. It rained while we were biking at Versailles and the day we were at Notre Dame and the Eiffel Tower. My umbrella came in very handy, as did my Mickey rain poncho once I got to DLP.

I am very glad I took advantage of the London Eye ticket on day 1 (check-in day). It gave me a chance to figure out how to travel on the Underground as well as a great view of the city to start my trip. It also then gave me more time to do the stuff I wanted to on my own after lunch on day 2. They provided us with a transportation ticket for day 2 that I found to be invaluable for my plans that day.

There wasn't a lot of time on our own on Day 3 for touring and lunch at the Tower of London after waiting in the line to see the Crown Jewels. We ended up eating at the restaurant at the Tower because we ran out of time.

We were served a light lunch on the Eurostar (Chunnel). That was a lunch on our own day, and some people got lunch at the station before we boarded. I heard a couple women say they wish they'd known how much food we would get b/c they wouldn't have bought lunch.

Because we were touring Notre Dame on a Sunday, we weren't able to go up to the top as a tour group due to mass. And the line was really too long after we toured Sainte Chapelle that we couldn't do it during our time on our own. That was one thing I felt wasn't explained very well. I think we were only supposed to do Sainte Chapelle that day instead of Notre Dame, but we tried to do both because enough people asked about seeing Notre Dame. Had the guides provided us with full information that day some of us would have skipped Sainte Chapelle and waited in line for when they opened up the steps to go up to the top of Notre Dame.

All of my ABD trips have been regular trips and I didn't find having kids on the trip a problem. What you find is that the kids hang together and the adults hang together. Most of the kids are well traveled, so you're dealing with more mature kids. As OP said, it is fun to see the trip through the eyes of the kids. They keep the atmosphere light and fun. However, if you want a kid free zone, do the adults only one. I want to say that sayhello does them(but don't quote me on that), so hopefully she will post soon.

Sounds like anytime is a good time. :woohoo: I can't wait to take this trip.

Our trip had "on your own" time after we arrived at Notre Dame so you could do the love lock bridge on your own. I don't know if it is "included" in the tour now. I know a couple on our trip had a hard time finding a shop to purchase a lock! Lol. We didn't do it ourselves. Told my DH that means we must return! ;-)

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I'm sure if we get back from the trip and loved it maybe I'll use that as my excuse too. ;)

I just got back from this trip a couple days ago. I also did the 2-night DLP add-on at Hotel NY. I made some notes while I was on the trip to answer some of the questions I had before I left that I was not able to find answers to. I was looking for little details, and most of the info I found was not as specific as what I wanted. I hope it helps someone taking this trip in the future.

And as a side note, I'm very glad I did this trip and did it through ABD. I had a wonderful time!

Hotels:
All of the hotels we stayed at had wifi available. Foxhills, Hotel du Collectionneur, and Hotel NY at DLP had free wifi. (So did both airports, LHR and CDG.)

All of the hotels had hairdryers. The ones in the UK were not in the bathroom. There were no outlets in the bathroom. At the Landmark the hairdryer was under the TV and at Foxhills it was in the desk. Both had outlets at the desk and a mirror above the desk to dry your hair there.

Foxhills had the UK outlets, Hotel du Collectionneur and Hotel NY had the Europe outlets, but at the desk the Landmark had the 230 UK outlet, the 230 Europe outlet, and a 110 US outlet. I took advantage of the US one to fully recharge my camera battery before we left.

There was no clock in my room at Foxhills or Hotel NY. I was very glad I had a watch with an alarm. Although I did get a Mickey wake-up call at Hotel NY. :smickey: (At least I think it was Mickey. He was speaking in a very rapid French so it was hard to tell first thing in the morning.)

Other things:
It was chilly, even at the beginning of July, in both London and Paris. I threw in a couple extra pairs of pants and some winter PJ's right before I closed my suitcase, and I am so glad I did!

However, I wish I hadn't taken the advice of some of the travel websites about how to avoid looking like a tourist. I should have kept both pairs of sneakers in my suitcase. At the last minute I traded one pair out for a nicer pair of shoes that I thought I could still do some good walking in. I was wrong. We did a LOT of walking. Wear whatever you would wear for a full day at WDW. And of course the pair I took out was my more waterproof pair. My mistake. It rained while we were biking at Versailles and the day we were at Notre Dame and the Eiffel Tower. My umbrella came in very handy, as did my Mickey rain poncho once I got to DLP.

I am very glad I took advantage of the London Eye ticket on day 1 (check-in day). It gave me a chance to figure out how to travel on the Underground as well as a great view of the city to start my trip. It also then gave me more time to do the stuff I wanted to on my own after lunch on day 2. They provided us with a transportation ticket for day 2 that I found to be invaluable for my plans that day.

There wasn't a lot of time on our own on Day 3 for touring and lunch at the Tower of London after waiting in the line to see the Crown Jewels. We ended up eating at the restaurant at the Tower because we ran out of time.

We were served a light lunch on the Eurostar (Chunnel). That was a lunch on our own day, and some people got lunch at the station before we boarded. I heard a couple women say they wish they'd known how much food we would get b/c they wouldn't have bought lunch.

Because we were touring Notre Dame on a Sunday, we weren't able to go up to the top as a tour group due to mass. And the line was really too long after we toured Sainte Chapelle that we couldn't do it during our time on our own. That was one thing I felt wasn't explained very well. I think we were only supposed to do Sainte Chapelle that day instead of Notre Dame, but we tried to do both because enough people asked about seeing Notre Dame. Had the guides provided us with full information that day some of us would have skipped Sainte Chapelle and waited in line for when they opened up the steps to go up to the top of Notre Dame.

Thanks for the great notes from your trip. Sounds like a wonderful time. Sad to hear about the love locks but I kinda expected it since they usually have to cut them off every few years anyway. I'm glad we at least have a chance to see it. I'm happy to hear NY resort was the better deal. I didn't find the dlp hotel all that special viewing it online so I think we'll just stay at NY. Glad to hear we may have time to book an appointment at the spa. I love surprising my husband with things not on the itinerary. I'm glad we now know the outlet types that will sure help when keeping our cameras charged. Thanks for the heads up on the Notre Dame I would hate to miss the climb but at least now we know that going in so if happens it's not a total shocker. Good to know about the weather in July I'll make sure to pack good shoes and umbrella now.

What type of lunch did they serve on train?

All of my ABD trips have been regular trips and I didn't find having kids on the trip a problem. What you find is that the kids hang together and the adults hang together. Most of the kids are well traveled, so you're dealing with more mature kids. As OP said, it is fun to see the trip through the eyes of the kids. They keep the atmosphere light and fun. However, if you want a kid free zone, do the adults only one. I want to say that sayhello does them(but don't quote me on that), so hopefully she will post soon.
Oops, I missed your post, abdgeek. I *do* take the Adults Only trips. The only one I've taken that wasn't was the Med cruise ABD add-on. And, as you said, all the kids were seasoned travelers, so it wasn't really a problem. But I still do prefer the "kid-free zone". There's not the concern about kids getting tired or cranky, and the ABD Guides get some time off during the time they'd normally be doing the Jr Adventurer night. They also occasionally add something that they couldn't do with kids (like on my Alaska ABD, where they took us to a brew pub for a tour and a beer tasting instead of going to the family restaurant they normally went to). I just like the dynamic better. But I'm sure you'd have a good time either way! (I also like the fact that most of the Adults Only tours are in the "shoulder season" before or after the kids get out of school. I really like traveling in May or September).

Sayhello

Thanks for the great notes from your trip. Sounds like a wonderful time.

What type of lunch did they serve on train?

You're welcome! It was!

I chose the cheese platter for the light lunch on the train. There another option too, but I don't remember what it was. I think it had hummus. The cheese platter had a couple of cheeses, some bread, a dessert, and I don't remember what else. I didn't take a picture or write down the details on that one. But the family I sat across from was upset that they spent time and $ buying a lunch for everyone. What we got on the train would have been enough of a lunch for everyone except the dad. Especially with the buffet breakfasts we got every day!

Oops, I missed your post, abdgeek. I *do* take the Adults Only trips. The only one I've taken that wasn't was the Med cruise ABD add-on. And, as you said, all the kids were seasoned travelers, so it wasn't really a problem. But I still do prefer the "kid-free zone". There's not the concern about kids getting tired or cranky, and the ABD Guides get some time off during the time they'd normally be doing the Jr Adventurer night. They also occasionally add something that they couldn't do with kids (like on my Alaska ABD, where they took us to a brew pub for a tour and a beer tasting instead of going to the family restaurant they normally went to). I just like the dynamic better. But I'm sure you'd have a good time either way! (I also like the fact that most of the Adults Only tours are in the "shoulder season" before or after the kids get out of school. I really like traveling in May or September).

Sayhello

I think the hardest part at this point will be choosing the date. Our Anniversary is in June while my birthday is in September. I'm anxious so see how your trip to scotland works out. We're considering doing some pre-trip days there.

You're welcome! It was!

I chose the cheese platter for the light lunch on the train. There another option too, but I don't remember what it was. I think it had hummus. The cheese platter had a couple of cheeses, some bread, a dessert, and I don't remember what else. I didn't take a picture or write down the details on that one. But the family I sat across from was upset that they spent time and $ buying a lunch for everyone. What we got on the train would have been enough of a lunch for everyone except the dad. Especially with the buffet breakfasts we got every day!

Sounds like I will be getting a cheese platter on my way to Paris.

Definitely didn't need to buy extra lunch. The Eurostar's lunch was some of chicken dish and dessert. Also wine.

Side note about DLP - dd and I went this October when I visited her during her semester in London. We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and it was gorgeous. Very similar to the Grand Floridian and located right in the magic kingdom. You stepped out the door and the park entrance was right there. Beautiful! I wouldn't make a special trip just for DLP, but if I was in the area, it was neat to see.

You're welcome. ABD is a *fabulous* way to do a first trip to Europe! They take care of all the logistics: transportation, moving your luggage, most meals, VIP entrance to sites, excellent local guides, etc. And if you don't speak French like I don't, they help with the language issues. If there is something in Paris you feel you will miss, and Versailles is not interesting to you (although I agree with rxtiger that I really enjoyed it) then skip it and do what you'd like.

As for currency exchange, what I do is get a small amount at either my bank or AAA before hand. My bank does not charge any exchange fee, and neither does AAA if you're a member. I always like to arrive with at least a small amount of the local currency in my pocket (in case I need to take a taxi, buy a bottle of water, or whatever). Then use ATM's to get any additional money. As long as you have a 4-digit pin on your ATM card that doesn't start with a zero, you should be OK, and ATM's have the best exchange rate.

I think this is a good choice for a trip, but beware! :) As I've told many others, ABD's are addictive!

Sayhello

This is GREAT information!:thumbsup2 I like HarleyRose am looking at the England/Paris ABD vacation and excited about it. I think my mother and I are sold on it, we like the fact that Disney handles just about everything. We've never been to Europe either so are a bit nervous about not having some sort of structured tour group. We probably won't be traveling until at least 2017 as we have some other travel plans before then.

So how does the payments work? Do you just put down a deposit and pay the balance 90 days before you travel or are you allowed to make payments (like DisneyWorld & DisneyCruise packages)?

Also if we wanted to add like two days ahead of the tour (London) can Disney take care of that as well? Has anyone done this and what type of $$ does it add on to your package?

I'll read on through the tread but i'm sure I will have plenty more questions! :lmao:

Karen :goodvibes

This is GREAT information!:thumbsup2 I like HarleyRose am looking at the England/Paris ABD vacation and excited about it. I think my mother and I are sold on it, we like the fact that Disney handles just about everything. We've never been to Europe either so are a bit nervous about not having some sort of structured tour group. We probably won't be traveling until at least 2017 as we have some other travel plans before then.

So how does the payments work? Do you just put down a deposit and pay the balance 90 days before you travel or are you allowed to make payments (like DisneyWorld & DisneyCruise packages)?

Also if we wanted to add like two days ahead of the tour (London) can Disney take care of that as well? Has anyone done this and what type of $$ does it add on to your package?

I'll read on through the tread but i'm sure I will have plenty more questions! :lmao:

Karen :goodvibes
I'm so glad you found my info useful! :thumbsup2

How payment works is that you pay a deposit up front. That deposit is non-refundable after 14 days. You are not required to make any more payments until your Paid in Full date (I do believe it's usually 90 days before the trip). You *can*, however, make interim payments along the way. That's totally up to you and optional.

As far as adding on pre-days to your ABD, it depends on the ABD. Some ABDs, no pre-days are offered. (For example, I believe there are no pre-days for the Arizona & Utah trip because the pickup for the trip is a group pickup in Phoenix, and then you travel as a group to Sedona. The first hotel is in Sedona, not Phoenix). For some ABDs, you can only book one pre-day, others allow 2 pre-days. The cost varies widely. I've seen it range from $200 a night to $800 a night. It really depends on the location & the hotel. In *general* pre-nights through ABD are more expensive than booking on your own, and "worth it" or not depends on the cost, the availability of other options, where you're going, etc. My pre-nights in Athens were a tad over $200 per night. I don't remember how much it would have cost to book it myself, but the inclusion of the transfers in a country where I don't speak the language and can't read the alphabet seemed more than worth $200 a night. I don't remember how much the pre-nights were for Alaska, but it was worth it to me because I was coming in after Midnight, and didn't want to have to worry about getting to a hotel on my own at that hour.

On the other hand, for Scotland, the pre-nights were just under $800 a night. There were tons of other MUCH cheaper options within walking distance of the Balmoral, in a country where I knew the language, and it was easy for me to get to the other hotel and from that hotel to the Balmoral. As I said, it can REALLY vary.

Your best bet is to talk to ABD or your Travel Agent if you are going through one, and find out from them what the cost of pre-days is for the trip you're interested in. (The same info applies to post-days).

Feel free to ask any questions you might have! There are tons of folks on this Forum who will be happy to answer them!

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter