London "Must Do's"

Warwick castle is a bit difficult to do on your own with train fare, cab fare to the castle, and admission.

It's much easier and cheeper to book a bus tour from London, which also stops a Stratford-upon-Avon, and Oxford.

Here are two tour companies referenced on the Warwick castle website:

http://www.goldentours.com/
http://www.evanevanstours.co.uk/train-tours.htm

-Paul

Thanks, Paul! We're going to check that out. We are planning on skipping the day the group does the Tower. We have been 3 times and done the Ceremony of the Keys. We are Towered out. We may do the bus tour as a day trip.

So, a group of us have booked a tour for the morning before the ABD starts. It's the "Royal Day Out" tour of Buckingham Palace that includes the State Rooms, Royal Mews and The Queen's Gallery. The Queen's Gallery part is timed, and we bought for 10am. The other 2 are whenever during the day. So I'm thinking, somewhere in there, we're going to want to stop for lunch, then go back to our touring. Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice place to have lunch near Buckingham Palace? It doesn't have to be fancy. I'm thinking good food is way more important at this point! (We have a fancy dinner planned for one of our "dinners on your own" already).

Thanks!
Sayhello

I'm planning to check out "Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese" pub, at least for historic element since there has been a pub on this site since 1558.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ye_Olde_Cheshire_Cheese

I could not find a menu, but I understand they serve standard "Pub Grub":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_house#Pub_grub

-Paul
Thanks for the suggestion, but that's actually no where near Buckingham Palace (unless folks want to leave the area). But I'll keep it in mind for another day! It's not too far from the ABD hotel.

Sayhello

I've lived in London my entire life so here are my tips.

Avoid Harrod's at all costs, it's over priced with a dress code, which frankly is more of a tourist trap then anything else. If you want to see a "up market department store" go to Harvey Nichols or Fortnum and Masons.

If you want to take Tea the Ritz is excellent and so is Fortnum's.

Almost all museum's and art galleries are free to get into.

you can't beat the:
Portrait Gallery
V&A
British Museum
Natural History Museum
Science Museum

London Zoo is fantastic (I may be biased many moon's ago I worked there.) For all you Harry Potter Fan's remember this is where Harry spoke to the snake.

Have a "Full English Breakfast"
As some one said have a Pimm's
The London Eye is great.
Camden Lock is good for Teens if they are into Punk or Alternative Music. (There are also several fantastic Greek Cypriot restaurants in Camden Town also).
Borough Market for Foodies
Kings Cross Station has the longest Champagne bar in Europe also again Harry Potter's platform 9 and 3 quarters is actually there.
Visit Carnaby Street if you are at all interested in 60's Mod Music.
Visit Greenwich.
Try Pie Mash.
If you like comics visit the forbidden planet, two floors of comics, a geek nirvana.
Walk down to the Thames at night so pretty.

Look at the buildings quite a few have "blue plaques" and they will tell you if someone of historical note lived in the building or in a building on that site.

Keep your eye's open you'll discover statues down side streets.

Sorry to have rattled on so much I just really love my City and hope other people get as much joy from it as I do.

I've lived in London my entire life so here are my tips.

Avoid Harrod's at all costs, it's over priced with a dress code, which frankly is more of a tourist trap then anything else. If you want to see a "up market department store" go to Harvey Nichols or Fortnum and Masons.
I kind of figured that's what Harrod's is, but there's a bunch from the ABD who really want to go there just to say they've been. As long as our expectations aren't too high, I think we'll be OK!

If you want to take Tea the Ritz is excellent and so is Fortnum's.
Cool. Thanks for that. I really do want to take Tea at least once or twice!

Almost all museum's and art galleries are free to get into.

you can't beat the:
Portrait Gallery
V&A
British Museum
Natural History Museum
Science Museum
I think it's fabulous how many museums in London are free or extremely inexpensive. I'm planning on doing at *LEAST* the British Museum, if not more.

London Zoo is fantastic (I may be biased many moon's ago I worked there.) For all you Harry Potter Fan's remember this is where Harry spoke to the snake.
We have a fabulous Zoo here in Columbus, so I do like visiting a good Zoo. It's on the list...

Have a "Full English Breakfast"
I'm staying at a B&B the first couple of days in Winchester. I'm hoping they'll do the "Full English Breakfast" thing!
As some one said have a Pimm's
Definitely planning on this!
The London Eye is great.
Definitely planning on this, too!!! I'm staying walking distance away!
Camden Lock is good for Teens if they are into Punk or Alternative Music. (There are also several fantastic Greek Cypriot restaurants in Camden Town also).
No teens, but I do love me some Alternative Music.
Borough Market for Foodies
Cool!
Kings Cross Station has the longest Champagne bar in Europe also again Harry Potter's platform 9 and 3 quarters is actually there.
A champagne bar? I may have to check that out, as I'm definitely heading there for Platform 9 3/4.
Visit Carnaby Street if you are at all interested in 60's Mod Music.
Visit Greenwich.
Noted!
Try Pie Mash.
See my reply to pjacobi above!
If you like comics visit the forbidden planet, two floors of comics, a geek nirvana.
I remember friends mentioning Forbidden Planet when I was really into the Lord of the Rings movies... Thanks for the reminder!
Walk down to the Thames at night so pretty.
Will do! I've seen pictures, and it does look lovely!

Look at the buildings quite a few have "blue plaques" and they will tell you if someone of historical note lived in the building or in a building on that site.

Keep your eye's open you'll discover statues down side streets.
Thanks for those pointers!

Sorry to have rattled on so much I just really love my City and hope other people get as much joy from it as I do.
Thank you for rattling on! I intend to try for as much joy as I can wring out of London!

Sayhello

St Pancras has the longest Champagne bar in Europe! Not to be confused... although the actual 'bar' serving area isn't that long!

Roy

I only have a second, and haven't checked the other responses.

But google the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London. Tickets are free but must be gotten ahead of time.

They lock up the tower each night with a wonderful ceremony, complete with ghost stories. It was one of the highlights of our trip!

St Pancras has the longest Champagne bar in Europe! Not to be confused... although the actual 'bar' serving area isn't that long!

Roy

Sorry I live near the stations and we call both Station's Kings Cross. They are pretty much connected to each other. Opposite sides of the street. :flower3:

Hmmm... Pie Mash with green eel liquor sauce. Perhaps if I was in an adventurous mood... Maybe after a couple pints of Sam Smith's.

The sauce is rarely made with Eel water now. It does look vile I admit but it is worth a try and you can request it without liquor.

Remember to have Fish and Chips. The Fish and Chips here are considered some of the best in London.

http://www.seashellrestaurant.co.uk/

Thanks for the suggestion, but that's actually no where near Buckingham Palace (unless folks want to leave the area).

How about booking lunch at The Goring - its a hotel near Buckingham Palace where Catherine and her family stayed the night before she married Prince William, so will continue your royal theme for the day.

Contrary to the advice above, I would skip London Zoo - I think it's very poor; also, Harrods is a must - if you want to keep costs down on a visit there buy some cakes from the patisserie of the food hall, they are scrumptious and excellent value.

Also worth doing is a visit to Tower Bridge - where you can go up to the pedestrian walk ways which span the tops of the two towers across the river.

Sorry I live near the stations and we call both Station's Kings Cross. They are pretty much connected to each other. Opposite sides of the street.

Yes, both King's Cross and St. Pancras BritRail stations *and* the London underground are located in one huge interconnected complex! Americans should King's Cross like an airport, with King's Cross Rail, St. Pancras Rail, and King's Cross Underground as seperate, but interconnect "terminal" buildings.

Note that BritRail train arrivals and departure are specific to a particular station. For example, Eurostar is only available at St. Pancras station and never at King's Cross Britrail station. Follow the signs closely to get to your destination.

Oh... and St. Pancras was the patron saint... of teenagers!

-Paul

I order tickets online for the Tower of London. Tickets are good for one visit anytime during the week that you select.

-Paul

I only have a second, and haven't checked the other responses.

But google the Ceremony of the Keys at the Tower of London. Tickets are free but must be gotten ahead of time.

They lock up the tower each night with a wonderful ceremony, complete with ghost stories. It was one of the highlights of our trip!
Yes, I'm already booked to do the Ceremony of the Keys! I'm really looking forward to that. It got lots of recommendations!

The sauce is rarely made with Eel water now. It does look vile I admit but it is worth a try and you can request it without liquor.

Remember to have Fish and Chips. The Fish and Chips here are considered some of the best in London.

http://www.seashellrestaurant.co.uk/
I'm glad it's not really eel water... just doesn't sound appealing! And definitely have to do some traditional Fish & Chips!

How about booking lunch at The Goring - its a hotel near Buckingham Palace where Catherine and her family stayed the night before she married Prince William, so will continue your royal theme for the day.

Contrary to the advice above, I would skip London Zoo - I think it's very poor; also, Harrods is a must - if you want to keep costs down on a visit there buy some cakes from the patisserie of the food hall, they are scrumptious and excellent value.

Also worth doing is a visit to Tower Bridge - where you can go up to the pedestrian walk ways which span the tops of the two towers across the river.
The Goring looks very cool. I may check out Afternoon Tea there if I can't interest the others in Lunch! And I like the looks of the Tower Bridge Exhibition. Thanks!

The Sea Shell is good, but less off the beaten track you could simply try The Audley Arms in Mayfair, which is a pub, but was where the First Lady and her children dined on fish and chips (etc) when they visited London previously - see here.
I couldn't get the maps on the site to work, but I guess I'll try Google maps. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sayhello

This is a great thread with lots of fun ideas!!

Has anyone done a trip to Windsor Castle on their pre-trip days? I would really love to go but am so short on time. Really the only time I can do it is on our arrival day (the day before the ABD trip starts). Our flight gets in to Heathrow at 8am and we're staying at the same hotel as for the ABD trip - the Renaissance Chancery Court. How long would it take to get to Windsor? Do you think I'd have time to do it that day? I know a flight delay could mess things up, but assuming that's not an issue, I would like to try. I just don't know how to squeeze it in any other day.

Laurie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter