London Hotel Recommendations

Terk-1

Dreaming of Disney Cruising!
Am in the process of planning my first trip to London, but can't figure out a good/safe place to stay. As this is the UK Community boards, thought this may be a good place to start. It's a solo trip and will be mostly walking, tour bus or the Tube to get around London. Any recommendations? Am on a budget (as I also have a WDW trip planned in late November), so am looking for something nice, but reasonable. Is the end of August/beginning of September a good time to visit London? How is the weather? Is a tour bus a good way to see most of the major sites in London? Any restaurants you would recommend (am a bit of a picky eater)? What is the best/least expensive way to get to London from Heathrow?

Terk-1 said:
Am in the process of planning my first trip to London, but can't figure out a good/safe place to stay. As this is the UK Community boards, thought this may be a good place to start. It's a solo trip and will be mostly walking, tour bus or the Tube to get around London. Any recommendations? Am on a budget (as I also have a WDW trip planned in late November), so am looking for something nice, but reasonable. Is the end of August/beginning of September a good time to visit London? How is the weather? Is a tour bus a good way to see most of the major sites in London? Any restaurants you would recommend (am a bit of a picky eater)? What is the best/least expensive way to get to London from Heathrow?

Look at the premier inn at earls court. Close to tube station, safe area. Good clean budget hotel. Easiest mode of transport fromheathrow airport is tube.
Hope thishelps you
Janice
X

I can recommend the Holiday Inn Express on King Street in Hammersmith. 5 mins walk from the tube, breakfast included, nice rooms. Not sure on the pricing because the dates you are talking about are still a part of our major summer school holidays, the kids usually go back to school second week in September in the UK.

The Tube is the way to get around without doubt, you can get day tickets, or longer depending on how long you'll be here.

Premier Inn County Hall..

You can't get a much better location then this one. Its very central with tubes, trains and boats right next to it. It's next to the River Thames and has the London Eye right next to it. You would be able to walk to attractions like the Houses of Parliament, Big Ben etc. You can walk down the southbank to Shakespeare's Globe, The Tate Modern, St Pauls. You can catch a boat to Greenwich...its in a fab
location.:thumbsup2
The tube is very close but if you also wanted to walk to say Trafalgar Square, the Theatre district, Piccadilly Circus, Buck Palace you could do without to much effort.
Waterloo Train Station is just around the corner and you can catch a train into Windsor from there..

http://www.premierinn.com/en/search.action

I can recommend the Holiday Inn Express on King Street in Hammersmith. 5 mins walk from the tube, breakfast included, nice rooms. Not sure on the pricing because the dates you are talking about are still a part of our major summer school holidays, the kids usually go back to school second week in September in the UK.

The Tube is the way to get around without doubt, you can get day tickets, or longer depending on how long you'll be here.

Would you recommend me pushing out my trip to mid-September? Would that be a better time to go?

Would you recommend me pushing out my trip to mid-September? Would that be a better time to go?

You should be fine for the end of August as a lot of people are on holiday and out of London...We go into London a lot and its fine at that time of the year.
The cheapest way to get from Heathrow Airport is by tube. You would catch the Piccadilly line and it will take you into central London. Obviously you may need to change tubes depending on where you stay. There is also a fast direct train but it is expensive, then there is a taxi!
Weather wise you really can't tell...it could be very hot, cool, wet, dry...its very hard to predict our weather!
It is a very beautiful city and well worth a visit but it is expensive...
A tour bus is a good way to see London and then you can hop on and off. Another fun way is the London Duck Tours (the vechicle goes on land then on the river)
An excellent web page for looking at all attractions is Time Out London...

Hope you have a great time..:)

Premier Inn County Hall..

You can't get a much better location then this one. Its very central with tubes, trains and boats right next to it. It's next to the River Thames and has the London Eye right next to it. You would be able to walk to attractions like the Houses of Parliament, Big Ben etc. You can walk down the southbank to Shakespeare's Globe, The Tate Modern, St Pauls. You can catch a boat to Greenwich...its in a fab
location.:thumbsup2
The tube is very close but if you also wanted to walk to say Trafalgar Square, the Theatre district, Piccadilly Circus, Buck Palace you could do without to much effort.
Waterloo Train Station is just around the corner and you can catch a train into Windsor from there..

http://www.premierinn.com/en/search.action

I stayed here last October with my 80 year old mother. Just 2 ladies together and we felt quite safe.

We found the hotel restaurant quite reasonably priced for breakfast and dinner.

We ate lunch at various places but the Wesley Cafe at Central Hall (in tha basement of the church!) was very good value. Central Hall Cafe

We nearly didn't go into Westminster Abbey because of the price (£16!!) but with the audio tour we were there nearly 3 hours so felt we had value for money. Westminster Abbey cafe was very expensive. If you attend a Sunday Service there is no charge to enter but obviously you will be there for a service and won't be allowed to wander around.

We also visited Westminster Cathedral - walking distance but nearer Victoria Station - as it was only £5 to go up their tower (in a lift) where we had great views over London.

(That sounds like we only visited churches LOL!)

Living near London and staying in plenty of hotels I can tell you the hotel prices can get very crazy!
A very standard, budget travel lodge room can be around £100 a night in central london.

If your on a budget I'd recommend a hotel group called Tune. If you google them they are new hotel company to London and recently opened four hotels in central locations dotted around London.
They run a pay for what you want service. The rooms are cheap, clean and in safe, central locations. If you want tv/towels/hairdryer etc you then pay a few pounds extra when you book for what you need.
I'd recommend the one westminister as its in a lovely safe neighbourhood close to tube stations.
tunehotels . Com

If you wanted to pay a little extra for more comfort I'd recommend the hotel group Apex hotels. Again they have some beautiful hotels dotted about. The one i recently stayed in was this one in London city
apexhotels . Co . Uk
A beautiful four star hotel with brilliant customer service. The regularly do special rates and promotions and is right across the road from the Tower of London. This area does get very quiet after 6pm when the city workers leave, so it's a very peaceful, quiet safe place with a tube station a few steps away that will get you into central london in a few minutes.

Before visiting london try hitting up travelzoo. com they have some brilliant hotel and restaurant deals

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter