LOL, no Avatar land after all?

Disco

Hail Eris!
http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=688768

Licensing for the project could get a lot more complicated. If Cameron has to share all the profits the court decision could force any future enterprises with Disney to share too. That would most likely kill the project or at the very least, scale it back.
Pretty sad really. Either James stole a really crappy story line from another company or another company is fighting for the rights to be recognized as creating the crappy story.
It should be the opposite,
"They wrote it!"
"NO way! Cameron wrote it! We couldn't make such a crappy plot!"
:lmao:

"James Cameron slapped with lawsuit over 'Avatar' plot"

WAIT, AVATAR HAD A PLOT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :banana:

Back in 1998, I read a treatment that Cameron had written for a movie called "Avatar" it was just the first maybe 40 % of the movie, but it was almost Identical to what came out in 2009. So, unless this guy says he wrote it prior to that, I'm sure they got the proof.

Anyways, this has little to nothing to with Avatar land - I am sure the agreement with Disney specifies a flat fee or % annually that Lightstorm gets. This suit would only divide the portion from Lightstorm - not affect Disney. Plus a suit like this would actually drag on for years and years if they don't settle long before the end.

Not going to affect anything,

goood. :) honestly, i've hated that entire project from the start.

I really think it's important to note that the chance of this lawsuit halting the project are about 0.001%

how can you hate it when almost nothing is known about it?!

All we really know is that they plan to have an Avatar land. Thats it!

:confused3

I agree anthony, It's not something I really wanted (though its better than nothing) but I don't feel I know enough and I haven't seen enough of stuff like concept art to really feel like I'm making an informed decision. I just don't know how you can't hate something you know almost nothing about :confused3:confused3:confused3

Disney attorneys do lawsuits through the drive-thru on the way to work. I don't think there's any threat from this. The bigger question is "how big will the Avatar franchise be by the time Disney gets any of this going in the parks?":confused3

I don't know if he stole the plot, but man has anyone ever seen the comparisons of Avatars planet and drawing by the guy who did the "Yes" album covers. They are like identical, I would think that Disney would have to deal with that as well.

I don't know if he stole the plot, but man has anyone ever seen the comparisons of Avatars planet and drawing by the guy who did the "Yes" album covers. They are like identical, I would think that Disney would have to deal with that as well.

Roger Dean--I see the similarities, but Dean's work looks superior to me. Maybe because the music was so good.:)

I agree anthony, It's not something I really wanted (though its better than nothing) but I don't feel I know enough and I haven't seen enough of stuff like concept art to really feel like I'm making an informed decision. I just don't know how you can't hate something you know almost nothing about :confused3:confused3:confused3

It's a perfectly valid viewpoint to hate a project that is based on a property that is known, if the person in question hates that property. I'm sure there are numerous properties, that if aquired by Disney, would turn your stomach.

I wouldn't have any interest in "Twilight" Land, "Kardashian" Village or "Smurf" Town. Aren't there similar properties that would turn you off at the outset?

Now, having said that, despite my thinking that Avatar was disappointing in all respects except special effects, I'll give the new area a shot when it's finished. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. But, I'd be a lot happier about the whole thing if WDW was focusing it's time, energy and money on a property that I had more (or really any) interest in.

It's a perfectly valid viewpoint to hate a project that is based on a property that is known, if the person in question hates that property. I'm sure there are numerous properties, that if aquired by Disney, would turn your stomach.

I wouldn't have any interest in "Twilight" Land, "Kardashian" Village or "Smurf" Town. Aren't there similar properties that would turn you off at the outset?

Now, having said that, despite my thinking that Avatar was disappointing in all respects except special effects, I'll give the new area a shot when it's finished. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. But, I'd be a lot happier about the whole thing if WDW was focusing it's time, energy and money on a property that I had more (or really any) interest in.

I guess you missed my "Avatar was the worst movie i've ever seen and doesn't deserve in any way shape or form" Rant i posted on a different thread.

I HATE Avatar. However I am still reserving judgement of Avatarland until i see more. I just don't feel like i have enough information.

Sorry but Avatar is a complete rip off from Fern Gully. Yes animated but same plot line.

Sorry but Avatar is a complete rip off from Fern Gully. Yes animated but same plot line.

I would much rather see Fern Gully Land! Environmental message with a humorous animal side-kick...sounds like Disney magic to me! :thumbsup2 ;)

I think its a huge gamble for Disney to begin with. Yes, the first film was wildly popular. The other two haven't even been made yet. What if they would somehow bomb and the whole franchise jumps the shark?

This will not hold up the creation of Avatarland

Unfortunately.

While I do think its a huge risk to make a park that wont even open until 2 years after part 3 of a movie comes out (can you imagine a Matrix-themed land if they had signed that deal after Matrix 1, and then it didnt open until a year after Matrix 3??? DISASTER), they are going full steam ahead on this, and a lawsuit like this wont derail it. Its basically a frivolous lawsuit from someone who had an idea that was similar enough for him to try and make a money grab and hope for a HUGE out of court settlement.

I think its a huge gamble for Disney to begin with. Yes, the first film was wildly popular. The other two haven't even been made yet. What if they would somehow bomb and the whole franchise jumps the shark?

It won't matter how well the sequels do if Disney puts together a great land with great theming and with great rides. Ultimately it's the quality of the project itself that will make a theme park ride, land, park popular way over the inspiration for that ride, land or park.

If RnR retools with a new theme will Aerosmith fans quit riding the coaster?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter