• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

locks to use on chairs at waterparks

sand2270

DIS Veteran
I have seen some posts where people talk about using a lock for your belongings at the water parks (at your chairs). I am trying to picture what you would use. Do you lock your bag to the chair? Does anyone have any pictures of what they are referring too?

I have a hard time imagining a lock to the chair. The chairs are totally movable. Someone who really wanted your stuff could just pick up the entire chair. People move things around all the time at the water parks. "Hey honey, you want this chair way over there? OK, let me pick it up for you".

Flame on but are we really that paranoid of a society we start locking things up at the beach too? Get a locker for your valuables. Or wear a waterproof wrist thing. Or do what we've done all our lives. Stick everything into your shoe.

i think it was more in the spirit of ensuring your things did not get moved from your chair...to save your chair.

I wasn't looking for criticism but an answer.

I've see it talked about on the Disney Cruise board in regards to the chairs at Castaway Cay. I think that is a different environment (and there are no lockers there). I wouldn't try it at the waterparks. They have lockers at the waterparks and you can lock up your stuff there.
DJ

I've see it talked about on the Disney Cruise board in regards to the chairs at Castaway Cay. I think that is a different environment (and there are no lockers there). I wouldn't try it at the waterparks. They have lockers at the waterparks and you can lock up your stuff there.
DJ

Thank you, I appreciate the constructive and useful answer. :)

i think it was more in the spirit of ensuring your things did not get moved from your chair...to save your chair.

Oh, I could see it being used to save a chair. I wouldn't put anything too valuable in it at the waterparks (I know at Castaway Cay people put their digital cameras in it and I would be afraid to do that at the waterparks). But it probably would be a way to save/ID your chair for the day. We used our own beach towels and they stayed there for the day and no one took them (if they did we didn't care too much because they were towels I got free through a Lipton Tea rebate offer).

Have Fun!
DJ

Oh, I could see it being used to save a chair. I wouldn't put anything too valuable in it at the waterparks (I know at Castaway Cay people put their digital cameras in it and I would be afraid to do that at the waterparks). But it probably would be a way to save/ID your chair for the day. We used our own beach towels and they stayed there for the day and no one took them (if they did we didn't care too much because they were towels I got free through a Lipton Tea rebate offer).

Have Fun!
DJ

Great good to know. I keep hearing/reading stories about stuff getting moved or stolen, etc. I also tend to be a bit paranoid about losing my stuff and would never have anything valuable there except stuff like towels. These are the types of questions I post when I am in trip planning obsessive mode but I probably am overreacting. :)

During our trip during the last week of August last year we put our stuff in a drawstring backpack next to some chairs when we got to Blizzard Beach one morning, opting not to get a locker, because we didn't have much just a towel and shirts and sandals...No problems with our stuff growing legs and walking. Same at Typhoon Lagoon...used the same bag and put our stuff BEHIND some chairs down on the sand by the wave pool. No problems there eitherWe could be too trusting though!

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1001&pid=1127

This is a tiny lighweight cable lock that uses a combination. Easy to break on the street, but in the water park, strong enough to hold off peeps as they will not come tooled up.

You could run this through a bag and through a couple of chairs. Would probably work best with a hard sided case

I use on on my bike to secure my saddle and seat pin. On the frame and wheels I use a D lock from the same company.

best of luck

Lock your valuables (park tickets, car keys and cash) in a locker - they're not expensive. We've had no trouble leaving clothes/books/glasses etc in a beach bag under a towel on the chair.

i also agree with most of the other posters. get a locker for valuables. what we do is we get there as early as possible, pick out a place beforehand where we want to put our stuff and my wife and one son go and get some spaces and i go with my other son to rent the locker and some towels. at typhoon lagoon we go where the clock is by the wave pool so at least i have a general area to look in

the lockers are a bit of an inconvenience to use. you have to go and pay for them and then load them thus taking valuable time away from your park enjoyment, i value every minute we spend there but the peace of mind i get by storing anything valuable and necessary like keys and wallets in the locker makes me not worry bout losing or having anything stolen. i believe you can purchase water wallets? in the gift shop. dont know if this is the proper term but it basically is a watertight container you can place your cards and some cash in.i they have always served us well without any problems like leakage

we always travel in the dead of the summer when the waterparks are at their busiest and we have never had any problems with anyone ever moving our stuff or taking our chairs. we are a family of 4 but we always only use 2 chairs and pile our stuff on top of it. we usually are too busy enjoying all the park has to offer so we really dont lay out and use the chairs too much. never had a problem with anything ever getting moved. i have always been asked if an unoccupied chair is being used so a large large majority of people there are very considerate.

IMHO if a lock gives you the peace of mind and security you feel you need then use it. the less time you worry bout your stuff is the more time you spend having fu n

have fun:woohoo: i do love the waterparks. i feel like a 52 year old child when i am there

Sorry you took my reply personally. I was intending it more for the spirit of people becoming so afraid that everyone is out to get them and their valuables all the time. I would have replied differently if the question was about using a lock to save your chair at a water park.

I could be wrong, but I don't think "holding" chairs is technically allowed at the water parks, so I wouldn't be terribly suprised if the CMs cut your lock (I've seen it done with strollers people locked up).

If you ran a lock through your bag handles, wouldn't someone still be able to open the bag? :confused3 Anyway, my vote is use a locker. :thumbsup2

Sorry you took my reply personally. I was intending it more for the spirit of people becoming so afraid that everyone is out to get them and their valuables all the time. I would have replied differently if the question was about using a lock to save your chair at a water park.

No problem, I am sorry I got snippy. It's all good. :)

I could be wrong, but I don't think "holding" chairs is technically allowed at the water parks, so I wouldn't be terribly suprised if the CMs cut your lock (I've seen it done with strollers people locked up).

Yeah, I didn't mean dropping stuff at a chair and than leaving the park...hoping to save seats for later. I think that is what you are referring to, I have heard of that happening at resorts, etc.

It will just be me and my daughter and I want to run off with her and enjoy the slides, etc. But I had read some things about people returning and their stuff was moved, etc. So of course, me being the overly paranoid person I am it got me thinking. But I think I am being just that, overly paranoid, and I need to chill out and not worry about it. :)

I am planning to bring my own towels this trip, last time someone took the ones we rented :rotfl2:

We watched a couple of kids from the wave pool just walk up , move our shoes and take the towels... I had to rent 2 more and put them in the locker... I have some which have our name from camp, and plan on bringing those this time :lmao:

Have Fun!
DJ

I am planning to bring my own towels this trip, last time someone took the ones we rented :rotfl2:

We watched a couple of kids from the wave pool just walk up , move our shoes and take the towels... I had to rent 2 more and put them in the locker... I have some which have our name from camp, and plan on bringing those this time :lmao:

Well sounds like I am not being totally paranoid. Who does that?? Geez.

I do have to say, something similar has happened to me which may have drove the question. We live near a local waterpark that has a wave pool and I took my daughter one year. We rented a tube, left it by our chairs (which everyone did) to go on the slides, came back and it was gone. I was so annoyed. I would be even more annoyed if someone did that with my personal belongings...but I would never leave anything more than towels, shoes and a coverup at our chairs.

True story,

We went to TL a couple of weeks ago. It was a Saturday and they had some huge local company picnic there. The place was packed with locals. We found a spot by the wave pool and rocks. We put our chairs in a circle and the kids left everything there. We pretty much stayed there all day enjoying our beverages except for short spurts of time. I did lock our cooler bag to the chair with a cable lock.

Well this lady and her husband are searching all over looking for the bag her Dh had sat down by some rocks. He really could not remember and since we were sitting by rocks, they passed by our area several times, eyeing my DS's Mickey Crocs that were the same color as her sons missing crocs. Mind you, my whole family has the Mickey Crocs. I have pink, DS11 has red and DS9 has Lime Green. Dh was not with us but he has black.

I told them we were there all day and had not seen her stuff, but she kept looking at the Crocs, like they were her sons. I know she felt we were being dishonest, but I wasn't about to give her my sons Crocs to restore her faith in mankind!:rotfl:

A couple days later, guess who I see at the SSR pool? The same lady and her son had on a pair of the lime green Mickey Crocs!! I pointed her out to my girlfriend and thought I stop by her chair to see if she found her stuff since he had his crocs on. She snapped "NO! We had to buy him a new pair!":eek: Ooops! My Bad! So somewhere out there, there is a Woman who thinks we stole her sons Crocs and there is nothing I can do about that.

I should not let it bother me, but it does, because I am the anti-thief!:wizard:

I went by myself to Stormalong Bay and left my bag and towels on a chair and nothing was moved or touched. I swam for awhile and when I came back all was as it was before.

I think I would feel more vulnerable to theft and people just walking up and using your towels at the Water Parks, but I would go there with hubby and we would take turns in the water and sunning. So that way there would always be one of us at the chairs. All the real valuables? Into a locker. No question. I would not take stuff in a bag to the Park that I was afraid of losing, just some reading material, lotion, and like I said any money or passes or room keys go into the locker. That way you don't risk losing somthing you can't live without.

Magazines and books can be replaced. And if I saw people grab up and use my towels off my chair that I rented? I would certainly say something to them. But that is just me. Or just bring some towels you don't care about losing. We have some of those floating around the house....great idea to pack them for the water park.

Have fun, don't take anything you don't want to lose and use the lockers!
ariel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter