• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Locks on Balconies at WL?????

WDWChick

Disney Veteran
My DH and I will be taking our 4 and 2 year old to WL this Sept. My 2 year old is VERY curious about everything and is a daredevil. What kind of safety features do the glass doors have on the balconies????
Is it something that a child can easily unlock????

We like to stay on higher floors to be away from the noise. Can you help me with my paranoia????

Thanks,
Chris

There should be a twist sort of lock you can turn on your balcony sliding glass door. It's very secure. If your 2 YO has unusually good dexterity, then he/she might be able to undo the lock. However, the slats on the deck are much too small for a child to climb through, and too tall for him or her to try to climb over. Just make sure your chairs are pulled away from the deck walls.

I think there is a lock mechanism on the handle and I'm not sure if it is child proof so you might want to call the resort and find out if you're really concerned. My DD was 1 1/2 on our last trip and she is a curious kind as well but she did fine. We put a chair in front of the latch and we made sure somebody was on the balcony with little ones.

We just got back from VWL and the balcony lock was hard to work for the kids - 6 and 12. One up high and one down low with the handle. Maybe the same at WL I'm not sure.

We just returned from WL. The sliding glass doors are very secure. The upper lock is a sliding bolt type thing and would be very difficult for a child to open, even if they could reach it.

I'm 55 and the locks on the door are tuff for me and the weight of sliding the door is even greater, I would not have a problem with kids and the sliding door.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter