Locking suitcases?

Rroo

Mouseketeer
Just wondering if the majority of people lock thier checked suitcases or not? and if so what do you use? I'm not sure what the new regulations are now.

Thanks!

There are TSA approved locks out there. But, I don't lock mine. If, for some reason, they need to get into mine, I want to make it as easy as possible. Otherwise, I could end up with damaged luggage. There is nothing in my checked bags that I'm worried about being stolen. I mean, who really wants my socks or teeshirts!!! Anything of value goes in my carryon. Now, once I get to the resort, if I have to leave my bag with Bell Services, then I put on a lock. I don't want to have to worry about my computer or other electronics going 'missing' while in that back room. Just keeping the honest honest so to speak.

At some airports, such as LAX International terminal, the TSA will not even take your luggage if you have used a lock other than the TSA approved lock.

I do lock mine, mainly to keep the zipper pulls together. But I do use twist ties instead quite often. I don't like zip ties as I can't get them open at my destination.

My suggestion is that you use a TSA approved lock, or twist ties. Either works just fine.

Some people like to lock their valuables in their suitcase in their hotel room, so that is another thing to consider.

I am pretty sure they wont allow you to take scissors in your carry on anymore with the strict regulations....

TSA WILL allow blades of 3 inches or less for domestic flights; CATSA does not allow ANY scissors.

As always, check YOUR local agency, and do not assume that what one allows another will allow

I am pretty sure they wont allow you to take scissors in your carry on anymore with the strict regulations....

You can bring along scissors in your carryons! Go figure:confused3 .
There is a size limit, but smaller ones are allowed.
It seems that liquids are the major concern of TSA.

To get plastic locking-ties off bags without scissors, insert a pen or key and twists. After about 5-6 turns the plastic will snap.

To get plastic locking-ties off bags without scissors, insert a pen or key and twists. After about 5-6 turns the plastic will snap.

not so easy for those who lack manual dexterity or have reduced manual strength

Twist ties are easier for those of us with such issues

I would not lock your suitcase - they just snap the lock when they check your suitcase - and they do check - I had mine checked and found the insepcted tag on my suitcase on one trip - they didn't re-pack it as neatly either!! :-)

I would not lock your suitcase - they just snap the lock when they check your suitcase - and they do check - I had mine checked and found the insepcted tag on my suitcase on one trip - they didn't re-pack it as neatly either!! :-)

they don't just snap TSA locks. They can unlock them so that they can be resued - that is why they are the only recommended lock to use

I use cable ties - I know if someone has been in the luggage and they keep the zipper in the right place. You can't count on TSA putting the memo in your bag.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter