Local Tipping and Maid Service - Home

corpcomp

The 100 Yard Dash and Mr. D
Two questions:

We sometimes go to Outback Steakhouse near WDW (love their steak) and get the curb side service. So they bring the food out to the car, we pay and leave and bring back to the room. If you have ever done this, do you tip them and if so how much - DW thinks we should be paying at least 10% but for 1 minute of bringing the food to the car, I think she is being overly generous. In the Northeast, for a sit down meal, 20-25% regular tipping is the norm we are used to, especially for really great service (which is more rare than it used to be). She thinks 15% is being cheap.

2nd, and this is not directly WDW related so if the monitors need to eliminate this I understand, if you have a maid service in your home, what do you pay hourly? We have a maid coming in every two weeks for 5 hours and DW gives her $140 each time. Since DW works, I cannot complain.

I wouldn't tip. IMO we tip too much and it has become expected and not earned in many cases.

Rate for housecleaning would be based on where you live, house size etc.

:earsboy: Bill

I would not tip for curbside service either. I also don't usually tip at any counter service places (Subway, etc.) or anywhere they have a labeled tip jar (pet peeve of mine) either. We never get food delivered to our home, but if we did I would tip the delivery person. I tip when somebody waits on me throughout a meal, not when they bring my to-go order to me. We are also from CT and tip 20% in full-service restaurants. If the service is bad we adjust accordingly, but our starting point is that 20%.

We do not have a maid so I can't help you with that one.

We do indeed tip the curbside attendant. Amount varies, but always a few dollars, up to about 10%. Do the same when picking up pizza or Chinese from a local joint since they know us. Now if I get an "I don't care about your business attitude" from them, then it's nothing. Often give the guys at a quick-lube place a few dollars "for a soda". The gals who know how my sandwiches are to be made at subway also get recognized. Isn't that what we're supposed to do for service? I don't necessarily just put the money in a tip jar, I make certain the recipient knows they're being rewarded/recognized.

Don't have a maid. Can't afford one because we tip everyone...

If I go inside myself, to pick up a to-go order, I don't tip. But if I use the curbside pick-up, I absolutely tip, usually 10% or so. You do realize those are servers who have to run outside and bring you your order? I don't think it merits a 15-20% tip, but certainly it warrants a few bucks.

Housekeeping varies around the country. Here in the Mid-West several friends have housekeeping and pay $80.00 per visit (around 4 hours).

Here's the thing with tipping/not tipping Outback curbside. (We have friends that work there, so we asked once.) The register they ring at does not discriminate between table servers and take out servers, therefore the computer expects that they will be tipped, and taxes are taken out of their paychecks a baseline amount that they are expected to be tipped. In other words, they are taxed as if you tip them whether or not you do, so if you don't tip them, they are paying the government for you to eat there ...

Its not a great system, really take-out should be a different system from table servers, but it is what it is, so keep that in mind if you decide not to tip them for their service, presuming they do a good job in getting your order right in a timely fashion.

Here's the thing with tipping/not tipping Outback curbside. (We have friends that work there, so we asked once.) The register they ring at does not discriminate between table servers and take out servers, therefore the computer expects that they will be tipped, and taxes are taken out of their paychecks a baseline amount that they are expected to be tipped. In other words, they are taxed as if you tip them whether or not you do, so if you don't tip them, they are paying the government for you to eat there ...

Its not a great system, really take-out should be a different system from table servers, but it is what it is, so keep that in mind if you decide not to tip them for their service, presuming they do a good job in getting your order right in a timely fashion.

I don't tip because someone gets my order correct, I expect it to be correct or I talk to the manager or don't visit that store again.

As far as them being taxed on money that they don't receive, as an employee I would be contacting the IRS because the employer is filing false tax returns.

:earsboy: Bill

I think the system assumes they get tipped 10% if they are in a tipped position and withholding occurs based on those assumptions. Worst case scenario is they get anything back at the end of the year upon filing taxes if too much was help back. Normally the tipping assumptions are under the declared tips, not to mention that many don't declare all of their tips. They do not lose that money but it may be delayed.

I'm not sure the standard in this situation as it relates to tipping. For CS tipping is not expected in spite of the tip jars you see everywhere. I would assume that some tips are appropriate but not even the 10% that would be standard for a buffet. I'd think a couple of dollars would be appropriate but would depend on the volume and number of trips required as well.

I'm not sure the standard in this situation as it relates to tipping. For CS tipping is not expected in spite of the tip jars you see everywhere. I would assume that some tips are appropriate but not even the 10% that would be standard for a buffet. I'd think a couple of dollars would be appropriate but would depend on the volume and number of trips required as well.
I usually don't tip at CS, unless I'm a regular then just put a dollar or two in the jar. And really, to me, it should be the restaurant owner/manager's responsibility to make sure that the take out portion of any restaurant that has both table-side and take out service has separate functions for each in the computer. So at the places that I know they don't, I usually add 10%, which is not very many places fortunately, but I've gotten in the habit of asking. Not saying anybody else has to, but just that its something to be aware of.

I usually don't tip at CS, unless I'm a regular then just put a dollar or two in the jar. And really, to me, it should be the restaurant owner/manager's responsibility to make sure that the take out portion of any restaurant that has both table-side and take out service has separate functions for each in the computer. So at the places that I know they don't, I usually add 10%, which is not very many places fortunately, but I've gotten in the habit of asking. Not saying anybody else has to, but just that its something to be aware of.
I don't tip routinely for CS but I do if they do more and they often do at many of the places we go. At many they deliver food, take away trays, refill drinks, check on us and if they do, I go back and tip if there's a jar or give it directly to the person involved if possible and it was only one. Otherwise we leave it on the table.

I would agree that managers should designate according but really they should simply pay ALL of their people appropriately and not pass those costs on to the customer in such a sideways fashion.

where I work if someone orders food for pick up, the kitchen doesn't necessarily put the whole order together. they do the entree, but then we have to put in whatever else is needed (lemons, sour cream,coktail sacue,etc) and we putrolls in a bag, put the salad together, along with a little cup of dressing, bag the whole order, run the check (either credit card, or give change)

all this takes times away from waiting on our tables in the dining room. I don't expect 20% for this but 10% or a few bucks is warranted, and very nice!

I would tip because I want to, not because it is expected, especially if the person is pleasant and efficient.

Heck at random times I tip the drive thru person at McDonald's. ::yes::

where I work if someone orders food for pick up, the kitchen doesn't necessarily put the whole order together. they do the entree, but then we have to put in whatever else is needed (lemons, sour cream,coktail sacue,etc) and we putrolls in a bag, put the salad together, along with a little cup of dressing, bag the whole order, run the check (either credit card, or give change)

all this takes times away from waiting on our tables in the dining room. I don't expect 20% for this but 10% or a few bucks is warranted, and very nice!
I believe the standard isn't to tip to individual go orders that are picked up within a business. Of all of the restaurants I'm familiar with and know about the process, I can't think of a single one that routinely use wait staff that is currently busy. I've seen them ask a wait person that is standing around if they minded grabbing an order. It seems most use the hostess staff and management in combo to take care of this task, none of which are in a tipped position. I realize each situation can be different. I wonder what the % is on the order not being correct, I'd guess 10-20% or greater partly because there's often not a chance to correct it. IMO this is something that should be put on management, not the customer and simply illustrates the flaws of the system when one feels like they should only be doing things that are directly tipped. As Sammie points out, there are individual circumstances that must be considered given we're stuck with this system at present.

Two questions:

2nd, and this is not directly WDW related so if the monitors need to eliminate this I understand, if you have a maid service in your home, what do you pay hourly? We have a maid coming in every two weeks for 5 hours and DW gives her $140 each time. Since DW works, I cannot complain.

years ago I bought a cleaning service but sold quickly as it was difficult to find reliable employees and those who could 'bond'. Most people who clean want to be paid off the books for varying reasons, no judgement from me it's difficult work.

Even if you go thru an agency, it's a good idea to independently tip whoever is assigned to you, i'd suggest at least $10 each time. At Christmas holidays a tip equal to a cleaning fee is the norm in Pittsburgh.

ps LOL working outside the home or not, who says the mrs is solely responsible for the household cleaning?

I don't know what the standard is - and honestly I don't care - I know it is extra work for someone to put my to go orders in all the containers, get all the extras together, put it into boxes or bags, etc - so I tip on to go orders. The people seem to appreciate my "thank you" - which is why I do it - not because it is expected or because I'm "supposed to"

I believe the standard isn't to tip to individual go orders that are picked up within a business. Of all of the restaurants I'm familiar with and know about the process, I can't think of a single one that routinely use wait staff that is currently busy. I've seen them ask a wait person that is standing around if they minded grabbing an order. It seems most use the hostess staff and management in combo to take care of this task, none of which are in a tipped position. I realize each situation can be different. I wonder what the % is on the order not being correct, I'd guess 10-20% or greater partly because there's often not a chance to correct it. IMO this is something that should be put on management, not the customer and simply illustrates the flaws of the system when one feels like they should only be doing things that are directly tipped. As Sammie points out, there are individual circumstances that must be considered given we're stuck with this system at present.

ya know, I don't know how they work it at, say "chili's" where they advertise take-out, or other chain restaurants.

I work at one of the numerous independant restuarants across the nation.. we do not have a hostess or "management". the couple who own the restaurant are the "management".. there are them, the bartender the cooks, and the witresses. and we all work together. and, you answer the phone, you get the order together.sometimes it's me or the other waitress, somtimes it's the owner. sometimesit's the bartender..

I don't know what the standard is - and honestly I don't care - I know it is extra work for someone to put my to go orders in all the containers, get all the extras together, put it into boxes or bags, etc - so I tip on to go orders. The people seem to appreciate my "thank you" - which is why I do it - not because it is expected or because I'm "supposed to"

:thumbsup2thank you!!!! so much!!!

ya know, I don't know how they work it at, say "chili's" where they advertise take-out, or other chain restaurants.

I work at one of the numerous independant restuarants across the nation.. we do not have a hostess or "management". the couple who own the restaurant are the "management".. there are them, the bartender the cooks, and the witresses. and we all work together. and, you answer the phone, you get the order together.sometimes it's me or the other waitress, somtimes it's the owner. sometimesit's the bartender..

:thumbsup2thank you!!!! so much!!!
Being empty nesters we eat out maybe an average of almost once a day and rarely fast food though some CS, so we see many restaurants options from low end to high and we get take out rarely other than a to go meal added for a family member who might be tied up or working and I pay attention to details. I'm sure there are many variables and variations, however, this would seem to be a management issue if the overall compensation is not appropriate for an employee doing an appropriate job in this situation. While tipping may be appreciated, IMO, it's not appropriate when someone walks into a restaurant and picks up a basic to go order.

I figure the person that does curbside, does as much or more than a server at buffet and I tip them. :confused3

Being empty nesters we eat out maybe an average of almost once a day and rarely fast food though some CS, so we see many restaurants options from low end to high and we get take out rarely other than a to go meal added for a family member who might be tied up or working and I pay attention to details. I'm sure there are many variables and variations, however, this would seem to be a management issue if the overall compensation is not appropriate for an employee doing an appropriate job in this situation. While tipping may be appreciated, IMO, it's not appropriate when someone walks into a restaurant and picks up a basic to go order.

what is a "basic" to go order? how does it differ from a non-basic to go order?

anyhow, someone has taken the time to put that order together. say they ordered a Tempura Shrimp dinner. and a prime rib dinner. with horseradish sauce. one soup, one salad. I put a few rolls in a paper bag. I put together a salad.(in the togo container, I go to my salad bar, put in lettuce,and dress it with the following: radishes, grated carrots:tomato cucumber, green pepper, onion. and put i n a cup of salad dressing, with a lid. and fill a to go container with soup, grab a packet of oyste crackers, . put the soup, salad and rools i none plastic bag. now, go to the kitchen and get the entrees from the cook. put some cocktail sauce in a little plastic cup with lid. same with sour cream for the baked potato oh, an a couple lemons (which I have cut, and now may have to cut more ).
and I take some horeseradhish and some sour cream and make up a little horseradish sauce, to put in a little plastic cup, with a lid (for the prime rib)

now, I took time out to take the order over the phone (love those people who want you to practically read the menu to you over the phone) . when the customer arrives, I take their credit card and run it.. or take their money and give them change. (this usually takes a couple trips)

and yes, this IS taking time away from my tables in the dining room.

however, in my opinion, a tip in the dining room is expected. a tip for carry out is appreciated, not expected. but it is definitely apppropriate. 10% is great! a couple bucks is appreciated, too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter