• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Local Resident of Hawaii and DVC Member ask me anything

We are planning a trip to Aulani in Feb 2015 for 8 nights. We purchased the Go Oahu card for 4 days. Trying to plan as many things from it that we can fit into 4 days and can hang around the resort and do other things on the other days. We are doing all of the Pearl Harbor items on one day and the Luau that night. Dole Plantation and Polynesian Cultural Center one day. Catamaran& the palace one day. We want to do the Diamond Head Hike and the Lighthouse hike also. Any suggestions on things to combine into one day and suggestions for good places to eat near them would be appreciated. Also, how strenuous the hikes are, my husband is legally blind, he has some vision, just not good. As long as there is a path, we should be fine. This trip is for him mostly, he wants to see Hawaii before he loses the rest of his sight. TIA

Hi :thumbsup2 thank you so much for your generous offer of help:)

I'm currently planning our trip to Oahu for next year and I have a plan in mind for one of our days and wondered if I could run it past you to see if I'm trying to do too much and whether I've understood the geography of the island!;)

Leave Waikiki hotel early and drive to diamond head to hike it before it gets too hot, then drive on to Hanauma Bay and up to LaniKai Beach - we would want to spend a reasonable amount of time at each place, without feeling rushed.

I had planned to drive back via the Pali lookout, but now wish to eat at Haleiwa Joes at Kaneohe. We would want to be at the restaurant for opening at 4.30pm (apparently that's the time to arrive if you want to have the prime rib- and that's the reason I want to go!;)) - I know sunset is around 7pm, so would that mean the view at Pali would still be worthwhile at 6.30pm ish?

I'm trying to cut down the number of days we are having a hire car, due to cost of hiring but also parking charges at our Waikiki hotel, hence the reason for trying to do a few things all on one day.

Many thanks for any advice :thumbsup2

Thanks for all the advice

- how long does the pill box hike take (return)?

- where are the best cliff jumping spots?

- best affordable hotels in Waikiki?

- How is Hanamu Bay (forgot how to spell it - sorry) sorkelling later in day in terms of crowds, fish etc.?

Thx much

1. About 1hr, pretty short and the views are amazing even in the first 15 minutes. However the first 7 minutes of hiking is the hardest. If you look on yelp, theirs a lot of info on it.

2. Waimea Bay (easy), Maunawili Falls (moderate), Spitting caves (advanced). Don't deem me liable lol.

3. Most affordable hotels are directly on Kuhio street or closer to Ala Wai Canal. But you get what you pay for. Kuhio is the cheapest, and the higher cost hotels are on Kalakaua. However Kuhio is "ghetto" at night. Safest bet is to pay a little more per night to be directly on Waikiki strip. A pretty decent price hotel on the strip is pacific beach hotel.

4. haunama bay is better in the morning, because of limited parking. Usually the mornings are better because it's less windy

Hi :thumbsup2 thank you so much for your generous offer of help:)

I'm currently planning our trip to Oahu for next year and I have a plan in mind for one of our days and wondered if I could run it past you to see if I'm trying to do too much and whether I've understood the geography of the island!;)

Leave Waikiki hotel early and drive to diamond head to hike it before it gets too hot, then drive on to Hanauma Bay and up to LaniKai Beach - we would want to spend a reasonable amount of time at each place, without feeling rushed.

I had planned to drive back via the Pali lookout, but now wish to eat at Haleiwa Joes at Kaneohe. We would want to be at the restaurant for opening at 4.30pm (apparently that's the time to arrive if you want to have the prime rib- and that's the reason I want to go!;)) - I know sunset is around 7pm, so would that mean the view at Pali would still be worthwhile at 6.30pm ish?

I'm trying to cut down the number of days we are having a hire car, due to cost of hiring but also parking charges at our Waikiki hotel, hence the reason for trying to do a few things all on one day.

Many thanks for any advice :thumbsup2

Wow pretty good planning. But just a few changes.

your potential route:
1. Diamond Head or Hanauma Bay (3hrs). Check what time both open.
2. Lanikai Beach (2hrs) it would be nearly pointless to do Hanauma Bay since you would be going to Lanikai beach.
3. Pali Lookout (15min). However realize that Pali lookout is facing the eastern side of the island so you would be looking directly opposite of sunset.

What hotel are you staying at? And how many days do r u in Waikiki and aulani. I can make a better plan thx

:confused3
We are planning a trip to Aulani in Feb 2015 for 8 nights. We purchased the Go Oahu card for 4 days. Trying to plan as many things from it that we can fit into 4 days and can hang around the resort and do other things on the other days. We are doing all of the Pearl Harbor items on one day and the Luau that night. Dole Plantation and Polynesian Cultural Center one day. Catamaran& the palace one day. We want to do the Diamond Head Hike and the Lighthouse hike also. Any suggestions on things to combine into one day and suggestions for good places to eat near them would be appreciated. Also, how strenuous the hikes are, my husband is legally blind, he has some vision, just not good. As long as there is a path, we should be fine. This trip is for him mostly, he wants to see Hawaii before he loses the rest of his sight. TIA

Congrats on your trip. Will you be driving a car or not? That would depend on what you would do and your plan. So far you have the right idea on your combination tours. But TBH idc for Dole or Polynesian. I feel like their are better things to do and enjoy. But then again you do have a solid 8 days to tour. Makapuu/diamond head hikes are the most lenient. Makapuu is easier and completely paved with potholes here and their but diamond head has handrails I believe. If I'm not mistaken I believe google maps has a street view of the entire diamond head hike. That maybe helpful. Also plan to arrive at either hikes earlier, it can be scorching.

Wow pretty good planning. But just a few changes.

your potential route:
1. Diamond Head or Hanauma Bay (3hrs). Check what time both open.
2. Lanikai Beach (2hrs) it would be nearly pointless to do Hanauma Bay since you would be going to Lanikai beach.
3. Pali Lookout (15min). However realize that Pali lookout is facing the eastern side of the island so you would be looking directly opposite of sunset.

What hotel are you staying at? And how many days do r u in Waikiki and aulani. I can make a better plan thx

Thank for replying. :thumbsup2

So are you saying that we could give Hanauma Bay a miss, as Lanikai is the better option? We are not huge beach/sea people - in that a couple of hours is ample for us to spend at the beach, we wouldn't last all day ;)

I hadn't planned on Pali for sunset, I was just wanting to visit - but then realised it will be later than we planned originally, so do you think we need to try and get there earlier? (Perhaps if we aren't going to Hanauma Bay, then we could double back on ourselves after Diamond Head and do it on our way to Lanikai? Is that a better idea?)

We are on Oahu for 13 nights, 6 nights at the Outrigger Waikiki and a week at Aulani. I know from one of your other posts (and indeed from many other people on these boards!;)) that perhaps you wouldn't recommend so long at Waikiki :).

We are possibly slightly different from many visitors in that we are from the UK and a big part of our vacation is enjoying the US shops and chain restaurants that we love so much, and which we just don't get to experience in the UK:thumbsup2 So whilst I understand that Waikiki is commercial, busy etc and many US residents aren't fans, we just don't get to do, eat, see 'American stuff' often, so will love it!

As for our plan - we were thinking of spending the first two days in and around Waikiki (relaxing after our long haul flight to San Francisco and the jammed packed three days of touring we are planning there). Then I am considering a day tour at Kualoa Ranch (inc a movie set tour/jungle tour/island boat ride etc) which includes transport from the hotel. We will then collect a car for the rest of our trip - this would include the day trip above, a morning to Pearl Harbour and shopping mall in afternoon. That would be our five days in Waikiki.

We then have the car to transfer us to Aulani and for visiting offsite restaurants etc whilst there. The only day trip we have planned whilst we are there is a full day visting the North Shore, including Waimea Bay and the Waimea Falls Park (we also want to try the other Haliewa Joes at Haliewa too::yes::)

How does that sound?

The only other thing I am wondering is about surfing lessons for the boys (they will be 8 and 11 & whilst both can swim, they aren't great swimmers). We had planned to book something with Hawaiian Fire, but now that it sounds as though they are no longer running them, we'll want to sort something else. I'd also LOVE to try an outrigger canoe ride, but not sure if that's possible with the age of our boys? - We could do either of those from Aulani or indeed on one of our Waikiki beach days.:thumbsup2

Thank you so much for all of your help - I'm really appreciating it :thumbsup2

Thank for replying. :thumbsup2

So are you saying that we could give Hanauma Bay a miss, as Lanikai is the better option? We are not huge beach/sea people - in that a couple of hours is ample for us to spend at the beach, we wouldn't last all day ;)

I hadn't planned on Pali for sunset, I was just wanting to visit - but then realised it will be later than we planned originally, so do you think we need to try and get there earlier? (Perhaps if we aren't going to Hanauma Bay, then we could double back on ourselves after Diamond Head and do it on our way to Lanikai? Is that a better idea?)

We are on Oahu for 13 nights, 6 nights at the Outrigger Waikiki and a week at Aulani. I know from one of your other posts (and indeed from many other people on these boards!;)) that perhaps you wouldn't recommend so long at Waikiki :).

We are possibly slightly different from many visitors in that we are from the UK and a big part of our vacation is enjoying the US shops and chain restaurants that we love so much, and which we just don't get to experience in the UK:thumbsup2 So whilst I understand that Waikiki is commercial, busy etc and many US residents aren't fans, we just don't get to do, eat, see 'American stuff' often, so will love it!

As for our plan - we were thinking of spending the first two days in and around Waikiki (relaxing after our long haul flight to San Francisco and the jammed packed three days of touring we are planning there). Then I am considering a day tour at Kualoa Ranch (inc a movie set tour/jungle tour/island boat ride etc) which includes transport from the hotel. We will then collect a car for the rest of our trip - this would include the day trip above, a morning to Pearl Harbour and shopping mall in afternoon. That would be our five days in Waikiki.

We then have the car to transfer us to Aulani and for visiting offsite restaurants etc whilst there. The only day trip we have planned whilst we are there is a full day visting the North Shore, including Waimea Bay and the Waimea Falls Park (we also want to try the other Haliewa Joes at Haliewa too::yes::)

How does that sound?

The only other thing I am wondering is about surfing lessons for the boys (they will be 8 and 11 & whilst both can swim, they aren't great swimmers). We had planned to book something with Hawaiian Fire, but now that it sounds as though they are no longer running them, we'll want to sort something else. I'd also LOVE to try an outrigger canoe ride, but not sure if that's possible with the age of our boys? - We could do either of those from Aulani or indeed on one of our Waikiki beach days.:thumbsup2

Thank you so much for all of your help - I'm really appreciating it :thumbsup2

13 Nights on Oahu is plenty of time. If you are going to hire a car, I would do it twice. Once in Waikiki and Once at Aulani.

Hired Car Day 1 or Taxi from Outrigger:
Hanauma Bay 9-12pm
Scenic Drive to Waimanalo 12pm-1pm with Stops at Sandy Beach Park and Makapuu Light house.
Lunch at Teddys Bigger Burgers in Kailua (1pm-2pm)
Lanikai Beach for Picture Taking (2-3pm)
Pali Lookout (3-4pm)
With Possible Haleiwa Joes for Dinner.

Hired Car from Aulani:
North Shore with Beach Stops (10-12pm)
Haleiwa Town for Shopping (12-1pm)
Romys Shrimp Shack Kahuku (1:30-2:30pm)
Optional Stops at Dole Cannery or Polynesian Cultural Center

Also in regards to surf lessons. I am currently the G.M of Surfhnl, we surf at the same location as Hawaiian Fire did. However, you can surf near either accomodations at Aulani or Outrigger, although I would prefer the latter. Don't worry i've taught many kids how to surf, they don't have to be a strong swimmer just comfortable in the ocean. Also any kids under the age of 70lbs require a tandem lesson (both instructor and student on the same board) unless they have previous exp. www.surfhnl.com . I would love to surf with your kids they would have a blast. Also to save money our surf lessons are cheaper if youre accomodations are in Waikiki.

13 Nights on Oahu is plenty of time. If you are going to hire a car, I would do it twice. Once in Waikiki and Once at Aulani.

Hired Car Day 1 or Taxi from Outrigger:
Hanauma Bay 9-12pm
Scenic Drive to Waimanalo 12pm-1pm with Stops at Sandy Beach Park and Makapuu Light house.
Lunch at Teddys Bigger Burgers in Kailua (1pm-2pm)
Lanikai Beach for Picture Taking (2-3pm)
Pali Lookout (3-4pm)
With Possible Haleiwa Joes for Dinner.

Hired Car from Aulani:
North Shore with Beach Stops (10-12pm)
Haleiwa Town for Shopping (12-1pm)
Romys Shrimp Shack Kahuku (1:30-2:30pm)
Optional Stops at Dole Cannery or Polynesian Cultural Center

Also in regards to surf lessons. I am currently the G.M of Surfhnl, we surf at the same location as Hawaiian Fire did. However, you can surf near either accomodations at Aulani or Outrigger, although I would prefer the latter. Don't worry i've taught many kids how to surf, they don't have to be a strong swimmer just comfortable in the ocean. Also any kids under the age of 70lbs require a tandem lesson (both instructor and student on the same board) unless they have previous exp. www.surfhnl.com . I would love to surf with your kids they would have a blast. Also to save money our surf lessons are cheaper if youre accomodations are in Waikiki.

That's awesome advice - thank you :thumbsup2

Just a couple more questions if I may?!:rolleyes1

Would you still try to do Diamond Head early morning before Hanauma Bay, or is that too much?

What do you think about the Kualoa Ranch idea? We are very keen to see some of the Jurassic Park filming locations (we cancelled our island hopping cruise as we think the boys would prefer more time chilling in one place than lots of touring, and the one thing I'm sad about is missing the Jurassic park waterfall on Kauai, so thought this might help make up for it!;))

Finally - Loving your offer of surf lessons and I've just told the boys and they are beyond excited! We could certainly fit it in with one of our Waikiki beach days - so we're all hoping you are around mid August next year?:thumbsup2

Thanks so much :thumbsup2

All I can offer is DO NOT buy any chocolate covered macadamia nuts at Dole. I saw the boxes (I think 6) for $60. At Costco they were about $24. Seriously! I wouldn't buy anything at Dole - it's a cute tacky tourist attraction that I won't mind never going again (although I've been over 20 times, since whenever we had house guests we'd take them there to see it).

igomezhnl,

Thanks for offering your assistance! You mentioned Kailua, and I'm planning on making the drive from Aulani when I visit in January. Do you have tips on the best day to visit, and the best place to park? My preference is to go Lanikai, but if parking near Kailua Beach is better, then I will go there.

Thank you!

igomezhnl,

Thanks for offering your assistance! You mentioned Kailua, and I'm planning on making the drive from Aulani when I visit in January. Do you have tips on the best day to visit, and the best place to park? My preference is to go Lanikai, but if parking near Kailua Beach is better, then I will go there.

Thank you!

The best day to visit Kailua would be on the weekday at 9am, especially in Lanikai. Lanikai is a Wealthy beach neighborhood without sidewalks (so you can't park on the street, you have to park on the sides of peoples homes. Recently it's been very crowded.

Don't park by Kailua Beach Park because it's two crowded and a pretty far walk up a moderate hill.

Best place to park would be Kualima Drive or Mokulua Drive and then just walk to the Public Access. However there are no showers near the neighborhood. But it offers the best view of the "twin islands" and the best sand you will ever feel on your feet. If you google map and street view, you will get an idea of what the small neighborhood looks like.

Also I would recommend pill box hike in the morning which is located a few blocks from Kualima Drive on Kaelepulu Drive. After the short hike, go to the beach for the rest of the day. Then finish off for lunch at Fatboys in Kailua order the Garlic Chicken or Whole Foods in Kailua (it's different the others in the mainland) trust me ;)

That's awesome advice - thank you :thumbsup2

Just a couple more questions if I may?!:rolleyes1

Would you still try to do Diamond Head early morning before Hanauma Bay, or is that too much?

What do you think about the Kualoa Ranch idea? We are very keen to see some of the Jurassic Park filming locations (we cancelled our island hopping cruise as we think the boys would prefer more time chilling in one place than lots of touring, and the one thing I'm sad about is missing the Jurassic park waterfall on Kauai, so thought this might help make up for it!;))

Finally - Loving your offer of surf lessons and I've just told the boys and they are beyond excited! We could certainly fit it in with one of our Waikiki beach days - so we're all hoping you are around mid August next year?:thumbsup2

Thanks so much :thumbsup2

Diamond and Hanauma Bay maybe to much to fit in. But it's doable, diamond head opens at 6:00am and I believe Haunauma Bay at 8am. However it will take you a solid 1.5+ hrs to complete hike especially with Children.

Kualoa Ranch is ok it's not majestic. Try taking a look at the reviews on trip advisor and yelp.

don't worry about the questions I love giving my opinion on attractions :)

Thanks very much for all of the great info!

What would be your top 3 must do restaurants NOT in Waikiki / Honolulu area?

Thx again

I will be traveling to Aluani with my mother, my brother's family and my family. There will be 10 of us there Thanksgiving Week.

We are interested in doing Pearl Harbor and my brother and his family don't get up early enough to get in line for tickets. We are looking into one of the tours through PearlHarborWebsites. I have also heard of people booking tours through Aulani; however, I have not seen Pearl Harbor Excursions through the website. Any ideas on how much it costs or a better way to see it.

I have 2 days of rental cars for the family and was trying to save those for our own trips to the North Shore and Hanauma bay.

I will be traveling to Aluani with my mother, my brother's family and my family. There will be 10 of us there Thanksgiving Week.

We are interested in doing Pearl Harbor and my brother and his family don't get up early enough to get in line for tickets. We are looking into one of the tours through PearlHarborWebsites. I have also heard of people booking tours through Aulani; however, I have not seen Pearl Harbor Excursions through the website. Any ideas on how much it costs or a better way to see it.

I have 2 days of rental cars for the family and was trying to save those for our own trips to the North Shore and Hanauma bay.

Aloha,

You can actually book through Aulani. Call 808.674.6200 and ask for Holoholo desk. They can assist you with excursions and are very friendly, I know all of the agents their.

Yes 2 days is enough time to see practically the whole island.

1st Day: East Side-HNL
-Hanauma Bay Morning (after spending time at Hanauma Bay, just punch in Makapuu Lighthouse on your Iphone, it will automatically take you on a 10 minute drive through the Scenic Drive)
-Scenic Drive to Waimanalo
-Kailua
-Pali Lookout
-Waikiki

2nd Day: North Shore

Thanks very much for all of the great info!

What would be your top 3 must do restaurants NOT in Waikiki / Honolulu area?

Thx again

Hard to say, what type of food do you like? My top 3 affordable Restaurants may not be the best food. But a mixture of atmosphere and food.

1. Moena Cafe (Hawaii Kai)
Great Breakfast.
2. Monkey Pod (Koolina)
3. Fat Greek (Kailua)

Thank you!

One additional question. Is Paradise Cove worth it for us or would we be better off just watching Aulani's version and then spend the money on some local food?

Thank you!

One additional question. Is Paradise Cove worth it for us or would we be better off just watching Aulani's version and then spend the money on some local food?

I've never been to Paradise Cove, but i've heard alot of mixed reviews from people. I'm sure Starlit Hui will do just fine at Aulani. Then spending the money for a night sunset dinner at Ama Ama or something.

If you go to the Excursions section on the Aulani website, place Arizona in the keywords area and the Pearl Harbor trips come up. They offer two excursions. One is for the Arizona Memorial ($40 for kids and $56 for adults ) and the other does the Arizona, Missouri and then goes to the Punchbowl Cemetery ($66 for kids and $82 for adults).
We did the Arizona only tour in July. We departed at 6:30. We did not have to wait in any line and were given tickets to the 8:30 movie and ferry. We had time to tour the Bowfin before we went to the AZ. The tour that goes to the other sites departs at 7:30. I made sure to book it shortly after we arrived so we were still waking up a little earlier than normal.

Thank you!

I think Paradise Cove and Starlit Hui are two totally different experiences. I wanted to do the same thing...skip PC and just have a nice dinner. There were 13 in our group so PC was well over $1400 for us since we wanted the Orchid Pkg. My Mom really wanted her grandkids to experience a traditional luau, so we bought the tickets. Luckily when we got to Hawaii, my cousin (who lives there) informed me he was a good friend of the accountant at PC and was able to book the same pkg for half the cost. We had a great time there.
It is a long evening due to all the activities they have ahead of time, but I found it was fun for all ages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter