Lobster Rolls

Hi Robinb!
My DH is from Milwaukee. Brat and Cheese capital of the world if I must say! Oh yea the frozen custard at Culvers (?) is out of this WORLD!!!
Hey Brunette :wave2:! Culvers is okay, but I prefer Michael's here in Madison and Kopps in Milwaukee.

Then perhaps you can't read the tone of the written word.

You also come off as harsh and judgmental and frankly quite rude.

Like whatever you like.... really it changes my day by zero percent.

As you should not! :thumbsup2

I too, am a "Lobster Roll Snob"!! It is sad, that a subject can't be discussed without someone interjecting personal attacks on you simply because you express your negative feelings towards something! If it matters, I thought you were respectful and didn't warrant such a negative response.

I had an interesting experience with the Lobster Roll (Lobster Salad, really..) last fall. DW and I went to a wedding in Cambridge. My first time in Boston. Before we left, we stopped at this small dive-ish restaurant just outside the Boston Harbor. I ordered a Lobster Roll there for about: $8. When I placed my order, three guys in back picked the fresh Lobster and put it on a hot dog bun. There was a creamy sauce which I'll guess was mayo but it was phenomenal! There was twice as much Lobster as there was bun and I needed a fork to finish it! I also had a fresh bowl of chowder that I still dream of to this day! YUM!

oooh i wonder where that was if you can remember the name let me know I'd love to go find it next time i get a chance to go into the city that sounds yummy and i don't even really like lobster, but know a bunch who do! :goodvibes

Just a final comment, I am a food snob as well. A big food snob. I refuse to eat at chain restaurants and I'm a food snob in plenty of other areas too.

That said, I don't go on the chain restaurant reviews and talk about how they are GROSS, AWFUL, DON'T EAT THERE, and then go on to brag about how I live in an area abounding with real, mom and pop ethnic food restaurants. It's just plain rude and ridiculous.

I may go and voice my opinion that chain restaurant food is unappetizing to me, too salty and greasy, and not fresh tasting, but I wouldn't go on and on as if to imply anyone who likes them and eats there is a total idiot. It's the TONE, not the message.

I will say it one last time, I have no problem with people who have a different opinion, and clearly I understand that there are much better renditions of almost every food at WDW, but that doesn't mean what they do have is AWFUL, DISGUSTING, GROSS, HORRIBLE, and on and on.

If you don't like it, fine. And if you want to point out how it differs from the real thing, great, but there are some of us RUBES who like it for what it is, regardless of how it compares to the REAL thing. And the condescension is unnecessary.

If you can't understand the difference between stating you don't like something and why, and using a condescending/bragging tone while you do it, then I can't help you.

I look at it different Bella. Maybe from my perspective, it seems different but I didn't see any harsh words or implications towards you or anyone!

However, if I was interested in sampling a specific culture or food of that culture, I would like to know if it's "the real thing". Threads like this do much to enlighten us on things we don't know about!

Brunette and Robinb are talking about a Wisconsin food (frozen custard) that is a specialty there! It's no different! I tried some frozen custard here in Frederick Maryland and it was terrible! Nothing like Leon's or Kopps or even Culver's in Wisconsin. And being from there, I take a lot of pride in that, you know? And when someone copies it poorly, or at the very least, differently, it is almost insulting (I am speaking about Disney, not a person).

Please don't look at how folks appreciate their local heritage as bragging! It's just something they can relate to and frankly right now, I would love nothing more than grabbing a Boston Lobster Roll and finish it off with a Frozen Custard Waffle Cone!:love:

pirate:

Hey Brunette :wave2:! Culvers is okay, but I prefer Michael's here in Madison and Kopps in Milwaukee.

Hey there!

There's something better than Culvers? LOL! Oh cool! Well next time I'm up there I will have to try out Kopps in Milwaukee! Thank you! :goodvibes

Brunette

Thank you for your kind words Jeff Pirate.... I really meant no harm to anyone.

Just know if you have it and you don't like it... please don't let it stop you from trying the real deal. Plain. Simple.

I had an interesting experience with the Lobster Roll (Lobster Salad, really..) last fall. DW and I went to a wedding in Cambridge. My first time in Boston. Before we left, we stopped at this small dive-ish restaurant just outside the Boston Harbor. I ordered a Lobster Roll there for about: $8. When I placed my order, three guys in back picked the fresh Lobster and put it on a hot dog bun. There was a creamy sauce which I'll guess was mayo but it was phenomenal! There was twice as much Lobster as there was bun and I needed a fork to finish it! I also had a fresh bowl of chowder that I still dream of to this day! YUM!

Was it James Hook & Co by any chance? Right next to the Northern Avenue Bridge?

I work in Boston so I'll try to figure out which place it is.

I look at it different Bella. Maybe from my perspective, it seems different but I didn't see any harsh words or implications towards you or anyone!

However, if I was interested in sampling a specific culture or food of that culture, I would like to know if it's "the real thing". Threads like this do much to enlighten us on things we don't know about!

Brunette and Robinb are talking about a Wisconsin food (frozen custard) that is a specialty there! It's no different! I tried some frozen custard here in Frederick Maryland and it was terrible! Nothing like Leon's or Kopps or even Culver's in Wisconsin. And being from there, I take a lot of pride in that, you know? And when someone copies it poorly, or at the very least, differently, it is almost insulting (I am speaking about Disney, not a person).

Please don't look at how folks appreciate their local heritage as bragging! It's just something they can relate to and frankly right now, I would love nothing more than grabbing a Boston Lobster Roll and finish it off with a Frozen Custard Waffle Cone!:love:

pirate:

Well said. :goodvibes

I would love nothing more than grabbing a Boston Lobster Roll and finish it off with a Frozen Custard Waffle Cone!:love:

pirate:

Oh I'm right there with you...but my Frozen Custard experience is at Ted Drewe's in St. Louis. I didn't know it was famous somewhere else too.

I posted my opinions on the lobster roll way back when this thread started. I just wanted to add...i've ate lobster before, but this was the first time I ever had a lobster roll and I still hated it ;) I had nothing to compare it to but honestly can't wait to try a 'real' or 'authentic' one.

Ok...Pirate: was this the place?

5271531371_7c1631fced_z.jpg

That was my 2nd guess. Both of those are so close to my office. I think I'm going to head to one of them on Friday for lunch.

jealous! I want to go up to Rockport for my annual fish and chips dinner but no one wants to go with me :rotfl: let me know how it is!

Was it James Hook & Co by any chance? Right next to the Northern Avenue Bridge?

I work in Boston so I'll try to figure out which place it is.

That's it!!

I knew it was just past some restaurant called "The Pier" or something like that. The better known place, wasn't recommended by the locals. This James Hook & Co. was! They had a chalk board for their menu in an old rickety building. There was someone walking upstairs and it sounded like the beams were cracking! But, the woman behind the counter was incredibly gracious and the food was outstanding!

It was on a cul-de-sac with the harbor entrance about 50 feet from the front door!

I can still smell the food!

That's it!!

I knew it was just past some restaurant called "The Pier" or something like that. The better known place, wasn't recommended by the locals. This James Hook & Co. was! They had a chalk board for their menu in an old rickety building. There was someone walking upstairs and it sounded like the beams were cracking! But, the woman behind the counter was incredibly gracious and the food was outstanding!

It was on a cul-de-sac with the harbor entrance about 50 feet from the front door!

Anthony's Pier 4?

ETA: James Hook & Co ships food. dunno how good it'll be but its on their website!

That's it!!

Yes, that's the place!

http://jameshooklobster.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=2

That's it!!

I don't think it was Hook then because Hook is about a block down from Anthony's Pier 4, which it what I think you're talking about when you say "The Pier". They do have a big sign out in front too. I can't think of the name of the other place that is right there. I think I'll be taking a walk over that way on Friday though. Maybe I'll get one in your honor!

Hook & Co. is right next to an office building, pretty much in downtown Boston and it's only 1 floor. I can almost picture the place you are talking about, but I can't think of the name of it. I've walked by it so many times.

Ok...just made me think of something...how long ago would you have been there? There was a big fire at Hook a couple years ago (right before Memorial Day) and it's possible you were in the old building. The new one that I posted a picture of is the new one which is more like a trailer that they built as soon as they could because they wanted to make sure they were still there for their customers.

I don't think it was Hook then because Hook is about a block down from Anthony's Pier 4, which it what I think you're talking about when you say "The Pier". They do have a big sign out in front too. I can't think of the name of the other place that is right there. I think I'll be taking a walk over that way on Friday though. Maybe I'll get one in your honor!

Hook & Co. is right next to an office building, pretty much in downtown Boston and it's only 1 floor. I can almost picture the place you are talking about, but I can't think of the name of it. I've walked by it so many times.

Ok...just made me think of something...how long ago would you have been there? There was a big fire at Hook a couple years ago (right before Memorial Day) and it's possible you were in the old building. The new one that I posted a picture of is the new one which is more like a trailer that they built as soon as they could because they wanted to make sure they were still there for their customers.

Actually, I just found it! It was Yankee Lobster. We passed Hook on the way, so I got it confused! I tried to edit my previous post but it wouldn't let me!

I went to this web site though, and this is definitely the place!! But, I see the prices have gone up, considerably! I remember it by the big Lobster statue out front!

http://www.yankeelobstercompany.com/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter