Loading for RNR

Densgirl

Don't call me unless it's a life or Disney situati
Hi,

For the first time since we've been visiting WDW with DS he is game to try RNR and TOT. He's actually been looking forward to RNR so much. I thought I'd read somewhere that there was a time limit for loading RNR. Is this true? DS is 16 and he's around 5'5 and 130 lbs. My brother and I are taking him and can lift and load him fairly quickly but then we both need a sec to get placed in our seats as well. Thanks in advance for your help. :thumbsup2

I don't know of a time limit. However, when you get to the loading area explain to a CM controlling the line that there is a problem so they are aware of it. A CM is not permitted to provide direct assistance in lifting a Guest, but they will work to make it easier for you.

Densgirl said:
I thought I'd read somewhere that there was a time limit for loading RNR. Is this true?
We have not ridden on RNR with DD, but everything I have read/heard does indicate that there is a 30 second "window" for boarding. You must be able to board in that time perriod to ride. They do have a "practice car" in a private place where you can test things out and see whether or not you will be able to get him on in that time period. There is also a special car that may help with boarding. I don't know much about it, other that that it exists. I believe the door opens wider. I recall someone posting about it, but it must be longer ago than a year ago, since I could not find it on a search. Hopefully, the person who wrote about it before will post for you.

We have taken DD on TOT. That was not a hard transfer, you can bring a wheelchair fairly close to the seat of the ride car.

I had to be carried, if you will, when loading RnR. I loaded at the exit. The CM told me to take all the time I needed.

ETA: Boy I gave a vague answer :)

We loaded in the first row of the limo. It was so cool. Instead if just enough of an opening to walk through, it opened like a quad cab, you know, a little extra door. So my husband picked me up under my knees and my bro-in-law got me under the arms. Hubby stepped down into the limo with my lower half and BIL set the rest of me into the seat. Lickety split!!!! Did the reverse coming out.

Something cool though. The CM at the exit (where we loaded, as mentioned above), saw it took 2 people to get me on RnR, and that it was a bit of an effort, he let us ride twice!!! How cool was that? He also overheard me saying that the "wildest" rollercoaster I had ever been on was Big Thunder Mountain and that I was so psyched to ride this one. He tracked us down in the gift shop and gave us a voucher so we could get our ride picture for free!!! :)

Needless to say, we made sure the "higher ups" knew how awesome this CM was to us :)

Thanks everyone! Lindsay that is exactly what I was hoping for. I didn't know if we'd make a 30 second mark. We'd be close but I'd hate to imagine what might happen if we didn't. I appreciate all of your help. It's been such a long time doing mostly character meals and shows with him that I'm not up to date on the big rides. It's a great problem to finally have though. Yay adolesence and the bravery that is coming along with it.

Just go through the normal waiting line (don't forget to use Fast Pass!), see the preshow and go out in the "alley". When you get to the entrance to the loading dock, the first CM who assign seating will send you through a door. That's the hallway to the unload. In that hallway is a practice car, so you can get comfortable with the loading.

The front row of the second car is the one with the little door and extra bars to help with the transfer. As a special note... you will be announced as a VIP travelling in the second car in the loading area! (that's to make sure the CM's who assign seating leave your rows empty). Transferring to any other seats is extremely tough. The cars are similar to your local Six Flags looping coaster (the old fashioned ones.. with 2 across seatings) in that they are very deep and involve stepping down on the seat to get seated. The little door opens on the side and allow you to transfer without that step..

I'm glad to hear that. It must be the "mysterious" other car I've heard of, but didn't know anything much about (although I don't think the one I heard about was anywhere near as nice for loading as the one you described). It sounded like you still loaded at the regular spot. This sounds good though.

Does anyone know if you are not using that car and loading at the exit if the 30 second time limit still applies?

It's kind of odd but I actually find it much easier to do the transfer with the extra door closed. I do a 2 staged transfer. From my chair to the car side then from the car side to the seat. When they open the door for me the car side is then too low to make an easy transfer in and out of my chair so I just have them keep it closed.

Space mountain is a pain because of this too. The side of the car is just too low to make the transfer. But Big Thunder Mountain is very easy for me since the side is just about level with my chair.

I haven't worked on RnRC, but I believe it would be possible to hold a train at the launch and since a train would be in load, the 4th train going around the ride would just stop behind the unload.

Believe me, for guests with disabilities, RnRC is a charm compared to Space Mountain at Disneyland Paris. I worked on it and there, the thing was a mess. When 5 trains were running (the ride use double loading stations like BTM), there was a tight 36 seconds dispatch interval, since trains are not supposed to stop anywhere during the ride. Also, DLP had a wacky rule for Space Mountain, Indiana Jones coaster and Peter's Pan Flight: guests have to be able to walk unassisted 20-30 feet!

That's great info. Thanks to all of you. I have ridden the RnR so I do know the layout of the cars. DB and I can load DS fairly quickly and if the side door opened it would be a breeze. My brother and I are both fairly strong and can clean lift DS with little difficulty. He can also bend his legs and has no contractures currently so he is pretty bendable. He can also help minimally in placing his own legs. You've all set my mind at ease and I'll post exactly how it went upon our return.

ETA-Sorry I posted under my brothers ID by accident. It should read Densgirl as the poster.

Densgirl (and everyone else), if you don't mind a personal question,

How much upper extremity strength does your son have (and everyone else who has ridden RnR from a wheelchair)? Do you plan on doing anything special to "assist" him from the accompanying seat? Or do you plan on relying on the restraint system?

We have an 8 year old with CP, who is a chair, and would love to ride RnR. Because of his limited upper extremity strength, I've been hesitant to let him ride.

I'm anxious to hear everyone's responses. We can PM, if you wish.

Thanks,
Wade

ETA:It's really Densgirl again. I'm coopting my brothers laptop and keep forgettng to switch users :blush: :rolleyes1

Hey Wade,

Nope I don't mind sharing about DS at all. He has great trunk control, moderate strength in each arm and is extremely weak from the waist down. I'm most worried about his head and neck on this ride but our nuerologist(also a WDW fan, thank goodness)feels he will be fine. I've ridden it and the shoulder restraints are bars that come from over head and wrap from shoulder to mid chest. Have you asked any of his doctors? We are lucky enough to have some that visit quite regularly and actually ride RnR and TOT and Test Track etc. So they know the particular problems of each ride. Just a thought. My DS does fine as long as there is some type of restraint but again he is fortunate enough to have maintained his trunk strength. Hope someone else will come along whose ridden with a DS or DD with CP. Good Luck.

Hello Wade, how tall is he if I may ask? If he's borderline 48 inches... the ride may be pretty uncomfortable, since the restraint would stop on his hips and his head would be right at the top of the restraint.

RnRC is a pretty smooth ride, but if you sit toward the back of the train, it can get pretty shaky and with the position of the restraint...

Wade Shrader said:
Densgirl (and everyone else), if you don't mind a personal question,

How much upper extremity strength does your son have (and everyone else who has ridden RnR from a wheelchair)?

I have a lot of upper extremity stength and a strong core, so the restraint system is enough for me :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter