• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Living around Disney Area

SgtObiWan

Earning My Ears
Hello all!
My wife and I are looking to buy a home near the Disney parks as we will be trying to gain employment with Walt Disney World. Does anyone have any good suggestions on neighborhoods. I hear Clermont, Devenport and Winter Garden are good area's. Are there any pros of renting instead of buying in the area? Thanks

Please don't buy or rent a place until you have jobs. I have heard many sad stories along these lines.

I would rent before buying. It is important to know the area as a Resident and not just as a Tourist. Once you have a job you can then buy in a place where the commuting will be workable. And you will actually learn the good and bad points of the neighborhoods.

If I had to do it again I would rent before buying just to get to know the area and know what area I liked. We live technically in Davenport, but it's the four Corners area where Polk, lake, orange, and Osceola counties all come together. I am just over the Polk county line. There is nothing wrong with it, but I still wish we hadn't rushed.

We are closest to Animal Kingdom. This area is cheaper than closer to Orlando. I'm about 45 minutes from downtown, which is where our church is, it's not a bad drive.

My DH is a realtor and he always recommends that peopel rent for a while in an area where they are moving to so they can get the lay of the land. He then recommends that they drive around, get to know different towns within a commutable distance of where they work and see where they'd like to live.

If I had to do it again I would rent before buying just to get to know the area and know what area I liked. We live technically in Davenport, but it's the four Corners area where Polk, lake, orange, and Osceola counties all come together. I am just over the Polk county line. There is nothing wrong with it, but I still wish we hadn't rushed.

We are closest to Animal Kingdom. This area is cheaper than closer to Orlando. I'm about 45 minutes from downtown, which is where our church is, it's not a bad drive.

We, too, live in the Four Corners area, but in the Osceola County corner. Our side of Rt. 192 is Osceola County, across the highway is Orange County, a mile up that side of the highway is Lake County, and if you cross back over to our side of Rt. 192, you're in Polk County! And if that's not confusing enough, I technically live in Kissimmee, which is really located about 15-18 miles east of my neighborhood! We call ourselves the stepchildren of Osceola County. We have a small fire station about a mile east of us on Rt. 192 and we rarely see a law enforcement presence out here (I think that's a good thing).

We're 15 minutes from any of the parks and Downtown Disney and I used to work at the Disney Store; DH worked at Toy Story. We bought our house during a week-long dedicated house-hunting trip and we haven't regretted the ten years we've been here. Our neighborhood doesn't have an HOA but we haven't found it to be a problem. The county "encourages" homeowners to take care of maintenance and lawn care or they do it and add it to the homeowner's tax bill.

We came down here to truly retire; we didn't need to work and didn't plan to, but the park perqs drew us in. I don't think it's as easy now to find a job with Disney as it was then especially if it's going to be your only income. Unless you're management, Disney does NOT pay well.

I hope this didn't scare you off! Like pps, I'd suggest renting for a year or so to make sure you like the area. We love living down here and would welcome you with open arms.

Queen Colleen

I'm in Davenport, just down the road from Champions Gate. Probably 10 minutes from PigletsPal2 and Conservative Hippie. I really love this area. Close to Disney but not in the crazy tourist area. I love my location. We rent a house now, but if we decide to buy, it'll be in this area.

We, too, live in the Four Corners area, but in the Osceola County corner. Our side of Rt. 192 is Osceola County, across the highway is Orange County, a mile up that side of the highway is Lake County, and if you cross back over to our side of Rt. 192, you're in Polk County! And if that's not confusing enough, I technically live in Kissimmee, which is really located about 15-18 miles east of my neighborhood! We call ourselves the stepchildren of Osceola County. We have a small fire station about a mile east of us on Rt. 192 and we rarely see a law enforcement presence out here (I think that's a good thing).

Queen Colleen

I know right where you live! I am on 27, just about a mile south of 192. My address is davenport, but I have never actually been to davenport!

I know right where you live! I am on 27, just about a mile south of 192. My address is davenport, but I have never actually been to davenport!

I bet you live in one of the developments we looked at houses in. We liked the area very much, but the houses we looked at didn't match for what we wanted at the time.

I live in Windermere. I adore this area. It's just a ten mintue drive to Disney property. I can see Wishes from my house!

Many new apartment complexes are going up in the area. It's a great place to live!

Oh no! You found me! Lunch at Panera sounds lovely. Do you mean the one on Rt. 192 in front of the Target? I don't know of one on or around Rt. 27. And I'd have to bring King Buzz with me as I don't drive. But he's pretty cute.

Queen Colleen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter