Live Updates from the Disney Magic - Feb 13th-20th

This was actually early December 2008. We got on the Magic at the end of that same week on December 6, 2008 and had to walk on at the dock level and take the elevators up to deck 3. Our room was on the terminal side of the ship and you could clearly see where the gangway was damaged. When we got off the Magic on Dec 13, 2008, they had fixed the gangway and we were able to exit normally.

Actually it was the Sunday after Thanksgiving '08 I was on the Wonder during that cruise.

We are supposed to be on the cruise. We stayed at Boardwalk last night and found out this morning that we were not going via our limo company. I have to say that DCL and WDW has been OUTSTANDING today. We were given a free 1 day ticket to EPCOT and a $15.00 Disney gift card for lunch. They set up an area with snacks , a internet cafe (that's where I am posting this from), and DCL employees to offer information. If you stayed on Disney property last night, they are putting you up there tonight. We are staying in a $470.00 Boardwalk room tonight. Due to the crowded weekend, they couldn't accommodate folks who had not stayed on property, but they put them in 5 star hotels in the Orlando area. They bussed people from the port area hotels so that they could take advantage of the day at EPCOT, and are sending them back to their hotels now. We were also each given another $15.00 gift card for breakfast tomorrow.

Once onboard,we will all be given a $100.00 per stateroom credit and $20.00 per person credit to compensate for any meals we had to purchase today. We will not be going to St. Maarten, so they will refund the port taxes for that island also. But the biggest news is... they are refunding 20% of the fare paid in the manner that you paid it (ie: credit card credit or cash).

This is NO ONES fault (weather!) and I think Disney has been very generous to us today.

wow - you have a great attitude and I agree that DCL seems very generous! For us, that 20% back would mean a great deal of money (family of 5) and frankly, if they'd let us choose to sail for 6 days instead of 7, I'd take the money and run! lol. Hope you have a great trip tomorrow!!

I just checked the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration website, there is a gale warning for north of the Bahamas to Florida. Here is a snippet

N OF 27N WITHIN 240 NM W OF FRONT W TO NW WINDS 30 TO
40 KT...DIMINISHING TO 20 TO 30 KT LATE TONIGHT. SEAS 12 TO 22
IN NW SWELL. N OF 27N E OF FRONT S TO SW WINDS 25 TO 35 KT...
DIMINISHING TO 20 TO 30 KT LATE. SEAS 12 TO 17 FT. ELSEWHERE W
OF FRONT NW WINDS 20 TO 30 KT. SEAS 10 TO 17 FT IN NW SWELL NE
OF BAHAMAS...AND 4 TO 6 FT W OF BAHAMAS. FROM 24N TO 27 E OF
FRONT SW WINDS 20 TO 30 KT. SEAS 9 TO 14 FT. ELSEWHERE N OF 21N
E OF FRONT SW WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS 6 TO 9 FT IN NW SWELL. S OF
21N E OF FRONT S TO S WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 6 TO 9 FT IN NW TO
N SWELL. NUMEROUS SHOWERS ALONG FRONT.

Basically 28 - 40 MPH winds, and rough seas, the actual wave heights could be 24 - 44 feet. Not going to be a pleasant ride for the folks on board. :sick:

I just checked the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration website, there is a gale warning for north of the Bahamas to Florida. Here is a snippet

N OF 27N WITHIN 240 NM W OF FRONT W TO NW WINDS 30 TO
40 KT...DIMINISHING TO 20 TO 30 KT LATE TONIGHT. SEAS 12 TO 22
IN NW SWELL. N OF 27N E OF FRONT S TO SW WINDS 25 TO 35 KT...
DIMINISHING TO 20 TO 30 KT LATE. SEAS 12 TO 17 FT. ELSEWHERE W
OF FRONT NW WINDS 20 TO 30 KT. SEAS 10 TO 17 FT IN NW SWELL NE
OF BAHAMAS...AND 4 TO 6 FT W OF BAHAMAS. FROM 24N TO 27 E OF
FRONT SW WINDS 20 TO 30 KT. SEAS 9 TO 14 FT. ELSEWHERE N OF 21N
E OF FRONT SW WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS 6 TO 9 FT IN NW SWELL. S OF
21N E OF FRONT S TO S WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 6 TO 9 FT IN NW TO
N SWELL. NUMEROUS SHOWERS ALONG FRONT.

Basically 28 - 40 MPH winds, and rough seas, the actual wave heights could be 24 - 44 feet. Not going to be a pleasant ride for the folks on board. :sick:

Sadly this is going to be one ROUGH ride:scared1:

Rob

We are supposed to be on the cruise. We stayed at Boardwalk last night and found out this morning that we were not going via our limo company. I have to say that DCL and WDW has been OUTSTANDING today. We were given a free 1 day ticket to EPCOT and a $15.00 Disney gift card for lunch. They set up an area with snacks , a internet cafe (that's where I am posting this from), and DCL employees to offer information. If you stayed on Disney property last night, they are putting you up there tonight. We are staying in a $470.00 Boardwalk room tonight. Due to the crowded weekend, they couldn't accommodate folks who had not stayed on property, but they put them in 5 star hotels in the Orlando area. They bussed people from the port area hotels so that they could take advantage of the day at EPCOT, and are sending them back to their hotels now. We were also each given another $15.00 gift card for breakfast tomorrow.

Once onboard,we will all be given a $100.00 per stateroom credit and $20.00 per person credit to compensate for any meals we had to purchase today. We will not be going to St. Maarten, so they will refund the port taxes for that island also. But the biggest news is... they are refunding 20% of the fare paid in the manner that you paid it (ie: credit card credit or cash).

This is NO ONES fault (weather!) and I think Disney has been very generous to us today.

So sorry to hear about your cruise but I hope you enjoy it once you are on.

Can I ask you or anyone that is reading this and "paid" for the cruise with DVC points, do you know how you will be compensated with the 20%? I wonder if they give you back 20% of your points.
Again, I wish you a very smooth cruise and think DCL did the best they could do in this event. What more could they have possibly done? At least you're at the BW :goodvibes Enjoy!

Is this normal for Feb???? We are taking our 1st cruise ever next Feb & this worries me.

Just drove back into the Country Inn & Suites and heard a ship's horn. Any chance it is the Magic? Or is it too soon?

For those that were delayed, has there been any word yet on what time they will begin taking you to the port/what time the ship will be leaving tomorrow? I live about 10 minutes from the port and would love to see both ships at the same time tomorrow.

Just drove back into the Country Inn & Suites and heard a ship's horn. Any chance it is the Magic? Or is it too soon?

Ill look in a sec but prob too soon. I think she only left at 430 (or 630)and they were expecting a 13 hour ride back mostly due to weather.

Is this normal for Feb???? We are taking our 1st cruise ever next Feb & this worries me.

For a ship to get stuck at an island due to weather no. For the weather to be iffy then yes.For the most part, the weather is balmy, and only will last for a few hours at most. This is just an unusual situation that occurs rarely.

Working as a crew for DCL. The latest returning time has been confirmed, from one of my college, few moments ago and the Disney Magic is suppose to dock in Port Canaveral at 5am on Sunday 14th.
The ship left the Castaway cay at 4.30pm on Saturday 13th.
We are all waiting here in Orlando from Friday to board the ship and exchange some of our colleges. The boarding time will remain the same time as it would be Saturday, so I would not expect the boarding starting before 12pm.

Have all good and quiet night. ;)

We have sailed 4 different dates in Feb. and have been lucky every time. The weather was warm and sunny but the water was a bit chilly in the Atlantic. Sometimes Florida has been a bit chilly. We set sail two weeks from today so hopefully today's problem won't repeat itself!

Laura

Well, we are still cruising along. There is rattling - it sounds like a tray of dishes being pushed down the hall (we are on 2). But it isn't crazy loud. The ship is bumpy but not terribly so. I think we have an ETA of about 4am.

Very nice of Disney. :thumbsup2

Working as a crew for DCL. The latest returning time has been confirmed, from one of my college, few moments ago and the Disney Magic is suppose to dock in Port Canaveral at 5am on Sunday 14th.
The ship left the Castaway cay at 4.30pm on Saturday 13th.
We are all waiting here in Orlando from Friday to board the ship and exchange some of our colleges. The boarding time will remain the same time as it would be Saturday, so I would not expect the boarding starting before 12pm.

Have all good and quiet night. ;)

So nice of you to post this info for us. Miss Shanni Sweetpea and her hubby Tristan will be celebrating their 10th anniversary tomorrow morning when they get back to port. :lovestruc An anniversary they will remember!

We're on the next cruise too. I think Disney has done a fantastic job. We had a great day. We found out early this morning and decided to make the best of it...it is what it is and there was no sense letting it get the best of us. So we decided to buy tickets and go to Epcot. After we bought our tix we found out Disney was giving us free tickets to Epcot (they gave us a refund). Disney really went out of their way to help all of us. We ended up having a great day at Epcot. They gave us: $15 gift cards/person, hotel (connecting suites)...with free breakfast tomorrow, $20 credit per person to help with any extra costs, $100 room credit, 20% return on our cruise price, tax refund. They set up the old Wonders of Life pavillion in Epcot for us and basically ran a carnival there all day. They had characters, snacks, ice cream, popcorn, drinks (tea, coffee, pop, juice, beer). They did free charactatures (sp?), dance music, (think I saw face painting too) etc. Plus they promised extra activities onboard. I was very impressed.

Jess

If you were on Disney property last night-they kept you there-if not, we were sent to caribe royale, omni rosen, and shingle creek-all pre-assigned-all very nice! They have really gone out of their way to accomodate us today-we've enjoyed the day! They are picking us up by hotel-10:30, 11:00 and 11:30. We paid with points-they're not sure how they will give us the 20 percent refund yet. I was not expecting all that they have done so far-so anything else will be way over the top!

Disney has always done things right....and the weather is probably the only thing Disney cannot control. They have abundent resourses that other cruise lines don't have......they have Disney World.....
We have cruised Disney 22 times and have yet to have a bad cruise....enjoy your shortened but great Disney cruise!
Tom

Wishing for a little extra Pixie Dust for GREAT WEATHER, CALM SEAS and lots of Sunshine tomorrow as we board the Disney Magic and for those boarding the Wonder too!!! :tink:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter