Live Nativity at Public School Christmas Concert

As the title states we attended a public high school Christmas performance recently. Beautiful hard working group of students and at the end (as is done each year) there was a live nativity with the choir singing religious music. Staff does the nativity.

What do you think? Nobody ever complains to administration but I have a family member who says how terrible it is a public school does this and how against the law it is. The same district also does prayers before some of the sporting events. THIS is not a Catholic or religious school. Just a regular public school in the midwest.

I think "terrible" is too strong a word for my feelings. Surprised certainly nails them though. We live in a rural community in Virginia, where I'd say 90 percent of us are Christian, and the rest are atheist. Our school programs have always been secular. And I think it should be that way. I always try to imagine how I'd feel if I moved to Israel, India, or China, or somewhere with a non-Christian religion. I wouldn't like to feel left out, or my kids left out. Our founding fathers believed in religious freedom.

Finally, if I want to hear Christmas music, all I need to do is go to church with my fellow Christians. It's not like there's a shortage of opportunities.

I welcome all good wishes that are spoken from a spirit of goodwill. This includes Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Peace be upon you, and even God bless you. There is too much hate and loneliness in the world for people to get upset by a greeting.

:thumbsup2 I completely agree with you!

Just because I'm a Christian doesn't mean I don't realize there are other faiths besides mine, and I think everyone should be respectful of everyone's faith, or lack of as well. My best friend is agnostic and for years she didn't want to talk about religion with me as she was afraid I would get mad. No, I didn't get mad. She has a right to her beliefs just as I have the right to mine.

If I were to say "Merry Christmas" to someone and they were to tell me they were Jewish I would smile and say "Happy Hanukah" to them. I wish I knew a Jewish person so I could talk with them and learn more about their faith, same for other religions too but our area is predominantly Christian.

In our state, none of the public schools have Christmas break. It is Winter Break. Nor do we have Easter break, it is Spring break. I have no problem singing different songs in a Holiday concert. Yes, we do not have Christmas concerts. We have a Holiday concert. Choir in our state is a class, so the concerts are mandatory if you take the class. You cannot just decide to sing. Now, the HS choir director is very good at mixing up all different songs. They are very diverse. But you should have seen the uproar when the students were required to stand in a circle around a post and do Wiccan chants as part of the program. But if you accept one religion's songs represented in a Public school's Holiday concert, you have to accept all religions' songs and traditions. What I do have a huge problem with is teacher/coach led prayers before a game, tournament, match, meet or anything else that is school sponsored. That is not appropriate. A moment of silence for the students to engage in their own prayer if they want is ok, but not one religion represented by a state employee. One poster said "if you don't want to sing the songs, don't go out for choir." The same could be said that if you want your child to have their religion represented in their school, then they need to go to a private religious school. A live nativity would not be allowed in our public schools. I find it funny that people say this is an attack on one religion. I see it more as a push to get one religion more represented. As evidenced by the people who refuse to acknowledge that there are other religion's ceremonies in the same time frame. And traditional beliefs? Traditional for who? Every different religion has their own traditions. There is no standard tradition for our country.

I agree! This all very much like my experience and my thoughts. Thanks for saving me the time of writing it!

No one that auditions for and makes choir is excluded. If they choose not to sing, then they don't sing. Its their choice.

The a capella group, quartet and sextet all sing contemporary music. But in competitions they cannot sing those selections, its not allowed.

I am not talking about what is done in one school here. Its what every single school choir does. High school and college. No one is forcing them to do anything. They can participate or not, its totally their choice.

Most of the music is very old songs. Its traditional choir music.

So it's completely black and white. All choirs only sing music from church in every single solitary school without exception. Wow, how frighteningly prohibitive and inflexible.

You owe me a Dole Whip because I just looked at my school district calendar and it states Christmas break. And it a large suburban public school.
Drat! :lmao: Here you go...

Img_6343.jpg

:thumbsup2 I completely agree with you!

Just because I'm a Christian doesn't mean I don't realize there are other faiths besides mine, and I think everyone should be respectful of everyone's faith, or lack of as well. My best friend is agnostic and for years she didn't want to talk about religion with me as she was afraid I would get mad. No, I didn't get mad. She has a right to her beliefs just as I have the right to mine.

If I were to say "Merry Christmas" to someone and they were to tell me they were Jewish I would smile and say "Happy Hanukah" to them. I wish I knew a Jewish person so I could talk with them and learn more about their faith, same for other religions too but our area is predominantly Christian.

I wouldn't have a problem answering general questions people have about Judaism, but I already know this isn't the right board to try an "Ask a Real Live ____" type thread. I generally find it quite easy to coexist with people who have different beliefs. When I've had issues is when people fixate on the differences, whereas I would be perfectly happy to have us both hold our beliefs in relative private.

To respond to the OP, if I knew there was going to be a live nativity at a school event, I would not have gone. It would bother me some that this was a school event, but choosing to skip it would usually be good enough for me. Now if I was told I had to go because it was a school event, then I would push back. When it comes to things like holiday concerts, I'd rather just opt out. It is not meaningful to me if they include the dreidel song or some of the decorations are blue. Hanukkah isn't as major of a holiday, so I'd rather just grin and bear some of the more in your face Christmas things that happen every year and move on until next year. Not every Jewish person shares my opinion, but that's how I deal with it.

What is the person talking to you isn't Christian? Should they feel obligated to say "Merry Christmas!"? Unless they know you, how do they you know are Christian? If they say 'Happy Hannakah!" instead, because they are Jewish, would that upset you?

You take it with the spirit and cheer in which the greeting was intended, and simply say thank you.

(I can't take credit for that...saw it on a Facebook meme or something!)

This is a high school choir, right? So not a class or grade thing?

DD is in high school choir. Almost everything the concert choir sings is Christian based. And for Christmas the same will be true for the smaller groups that sometimes sing pop pieces.

All of the other high schools that we have had the pleasure of hearing, sing the same kind of music. You will have your occasional other types of songs scattered in a performance or in the trio of songs they do for competition but the remaining songs will be Christian based. And at all of the college choir performances, its the same thing. Choir music simply comes from the church.

If a student doesn't want to sing that kind of music than they know not to join the choir.

Sounds like a beautiful program. Looking forward to our's next week!!

Gosh, Euripides and the madrigals sure were slighted by your oversimplification.

I went to my sister's top ten banquets when she was in 6th and 7th grade. At each one there was a teacher led prayer. The first year I let it go but the second time my sister told me that the student counsel were forced to attend and that the teacher leading the prayer was also being forced to do it. So after the second banquet I wrote a letter to an organization who handles issues like this. I did it that way because I figured a: it would hold more weight and b: my sister still had a few weeks left at that school and I didn't want anything taken out on her. They sent a warning to the school superintendent (who had been at both banquets) that said the prayers needed to stop or they would take legal action against the school corp. I don't have issues with kids praying of their own violition at school. I have a big problem with kids being forced to sit through a prayer at a school function where some students were forced to attend.

Primary schools here do nativity plays with the younger children and certainly when I was still little enough to participate nobody complained.

Aaah, memories of the run up to Christmas.

Primary schools here do nativity plays with the younger children and certainly when I was still little enough to participate nobody complained.

Aaah, memories of the run up to Christmas.

No church/state separation where you're from. It's not as if we have a state religion in the United States.

I think it is appalling and highly offensive. If it happened in my district, I would raise hell.

As the title states we attended a public high school Christmas performance recently. Beautiful hard working group of students and at the end (as is done each year) there was a live nativity with the choir singing religious music. Staff does the nativity.

What do you think? Nobody ever complains to administration but I have a family member who says how terrible it is a public school does this and how against the law it is. The same district also does prayers before some of the sporting events. THIS is not a Catholic or religious school. Just a regular public school in the midwest.

Don't know how someone could be against something so nice. I think it would be nice.

So it's completely black and white. All choirs only sing music from church in every single solitary school without exception. Wow, how frighteningly prohibitive and inflexible.

The majority of songs, yes. No one is inflexible. The music is traditional choir music. No one is trying to convert anyone they are simply singing. Not all of the students are Christian but they are doing something they love to do. Many of these kids will go on to sing the same music or similar in college. Why make it sound wrong?

Its not black and white. They do have to follow certain rules in competition. No Pop music and it can't be hymnals.

Not everyone looks for things to be oh so offended by.

It is indeed a violation for government employed school officials to be involved in the production of a living nativity scene performance. However, if parents and students want to do it on their own, it passes muster. FYI some Christmas songs in program would also pass muster.

Gosh, Euripides and the madrigals sure were slighted by your oversimplification.

The madrigal groups are smaller parts of the concert choirs and yes a different type of music.

Choir here is a class too but not required. Its just music no one is pushing beliefs. Some of the songs are in Latin, German or Italian. Heck it takes most of the semester for them to even know what the words mean. I don't know the proper terms for all the music but God is definitly in there. Very little about Jesus except at Christmas.

The womens choir has a song that isnt sacred music and the other one is Joshua Fought the Battle. One year they sang Let Everything that Hath Breathe and the other song was in Latin. The a capella group has done Royals., Say Something, Mirrors and other Pop songs. The concert choir sticks with traditional music though.

Some people might do best by homeschooling their children if they are so offended.;)

I think the point is that public schools are not the place for religion. That why laws were passed to separate church and state. A live nativity scene belongs at church not a public school.

I work for a public school board and I just checked the website to see what the upcoming holiday is referred to as and it's listed as the "Christmas Break".

Tonight was our concert, and there was a mix of religious and non-religious songs performed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter