Live- from the Beach Club!

Thanks for the reporting! I agree about the lobby issue, it is nice to be able to sit and relax or people watch. That is why AKL is my ultimate favorite, that and the feeling that I am truly getting away from the parks. I stayed at the Yacht Club once in concierge and it was okay. We did not get the chance to use the pool (it was COLD) but..the Yacht Club was beautiful and upscale and had a nice location, but did not feel as disney-ish to me. We still had a great time, but I prefer others more. The concierge at Yacht was underwhelming, nothing special, in my opinion. The staff there were great but they lounge was tiny.

santonucci said:
Without quoting everyone that asked, here is an expansion to my original post:

I stated that it felt less Disney than other hotels, and I'll stick by that. In almost every way, I feel that the other premium resorts outshine BC (except the pool).

Crowds aside, here is a short list of amenities I've grown use to in the other resorts:

1.) Tours. Since there wasn't anything worth seeing, I guess they don't need a tour.
2.) Friendly staff (BC staff didn't seem unfriendly, but they didn't go out of their way to do anything "magical"... I let them know that I had TWO birthdays DD5 and DW40 in our party, and while they upgraded me to a room that was supposed to be better than regular, I didn't notice anything special. We had birthday buttons all over the room and nothing... no cards, towel animals, zippo...
3.) Ok, I can't put the crowds aside. It was a zoo. Lots of dump and run parents poolside. Mostly well behaved kids, but it only takes one or two to ruin the ambiance, and we had them every day. Doesn't happen at the AKL or WL in my experience.
4.) Restaurants were themed "Beach". We ate at the Cape May Buffet, and I was completely underwhelmed. I'm not a fan of shellfish, but the theming was a bar with a bucket of clams? Certainly doesn't compare to Whispering Canyon Cafe or Boma...where the food is better, and the atmosphere is fun. And there is nothing I'd rather do than sit in the sun for 30 minutes while they get my table ready at Beaches and Cream... sweat up a good appetite.
5.) No lobby, no cartoons after a day of walking the parks. It's a tradition. The lobby has a small TV with small wooden chairs for about 4 kids to crowd together...
6.) A hotel store worth visiting. Again, the WL and AKL store blow the BC away... I can buy a towel anywhere.

Someone asked me which resort I felt was the most magical? Hands down, it would either be the GF or the WL. While my family has never stayed at the GF (I have), we eat there whenever we go. Afterwards, we sit in the lobby and listen to the band or the pianist. My daughter can't control herself, and must break out in dance (she takes ballet) and prances wildly around the lobby. This causes other little girls to lose their inhibitions, and soon there are several little girl dancing around the pianist (with people filming kids that aren't their's to show in their vacation videos). Parents talk. People meet and linger. That is the magic of Disney.

The Beach Club is a good resort complex, but it's not for me. If AP rates are good in January at AKL, GF or WL, that's where you'll find me.

Steve

I'm really glad that you will be able to leave this nightmare soon and plan a trip back to the WL or AKL. ;) The BC holds plenty of magic for many people. We love the activity buzz at the BC and maybe when you have teenagers you will as well.

MermaidsMom said:
I'm really glad that you will be able to leave this nightmare soon and plan a trip back to the WL or AKL. ;) The BC holds plenty of magic for many people. We love the activity buzz at the BC and maybe when you have teenagers you will as well.

My, my...

People getting defensive over their beloved Beach Club?

I'm home now, and going through Disney withdrawal. In retrospect, the BC is a very different kind of Disney vacation experience. It's not for me, but it's not "bad". I won't return unless there is a convention or something, but here are the "positive" aspects of the Beach Club that we found:

1.) Walk in access to World Showcase.

2.) Short boat ride to MGM. Great not having to break down a stroller for either #1 or #2 (we have infant twins).

3.) Convenient to some great dining (Shula's, Flying Fish...)

4.) Best pool hands down.

January is our next trip and we're hoping for great AP rates at AKL...

Steve

CoolDisneyCat said:
It's amazing how different people are and that's why it's great WDW has so many choices. We love the Beach Club so much! AKL, YC, GF and Boardwalk are wonderful, too, but WL, CR and the Polynesian do nothing for us at all.

The only time we stayed at WL was right at Christmas and the place was a zoo. There were a zillion running and screaming kids under foot all the time! You couldn't even walk in the store. I really think crowd levels make a huge difference in one's impression of a resort. We walked into the lobby this past June to dine at Artist Point and it was like a different place.

FYI to the OP .. you might want to walk over to the Villas common areas. They are very nice and quiet.

Too late, I'm home... :sad2:

We had originally booked the Poly to do something different, but the AP rates were too good to pass up. We did go to the Poly to have breakfast at Ohana's (which I thought was pretty good and relatively cheap...), and having been to Hawaii twice, I think it would have also been a disappointment. It may have been a visualization of Hawaii in 1956, but it's not even close to Hawaii today.

Coronado Springs was also a "something different" trip for us, and it lasted 1.5 days before we checked out and moved to the WL. Don't even get me started about that place...

I guess we're all different, and Disney markets different "paces" of life to those differences. Add Beach Club to the list of places I've been, and cross it off of places I'd go back to...

Steve

I want the AKL built on the WL lot with the BC pool... (I don't need the monorail to the MK if there is a boat...:-)

i think you hit it on the head w/lobby, when i walk into poly,i'm mesmerized,i feel this is where i want to be forever..i feel it's mine,my pool,my lobby my monorail, and i'm in another world, i love all of it..beach club was nice,and ok,and i liked the kichen stuff, but bad view of the parking lot,hike to the good pool,and stuff floating in the quiet pool that should't have been there(yuck..) almost everyday,, wasn't magical didn't FEEL like i was in another world,or like akl lobby,oh yeah that was all mine also...

1.) Walk in access to World Showcase.

2.) Short boat ride to MGM. Great not having to break down a stroller for either #1 or #2 (we have infant twins).

3.) Convenient to some great dining (Shula's, Flying Fish...)

4.) Best pool hands down.

Ahhh, now that's much better, isn't it? ...... I'm only pulling your leg! Sometimes it's hard to convey a "playful" tone when posting and my sense of humor can be very dry (In need of a cool drink by the SAB? :cool1: ) I do understand your point though and each resort holds it's good and less good points for each family. :sunny:

I do have to agree here. I was not thrilled with the BC. It was a nice hotel but lacked magic for me too. I felt overwhelmed by the size of the place and missed having a food court/or kitchen in the villa. Too many people and to crowded for my taste. I like the AKL to because the resort is manageable. The pool, lobby, restaurants, food court are all centrally located. I did like the BWV just across the lake. Go figure.

I think that's what makes WDW all so great, They have so many different hotels for all of our different likes/dislikes.
We personally LOVE the BC, stayed there concierge twice, and staying YC concierge this yr (no space at BC) ..
Anyway, i think too, that the time of yr / crowds make a big difference. When we go, it is not crowed at all.. so you feel almost like it is all yours.. To me, the lobby is plenty big, and plenty of fluffy couches/chairs to sit and people watch. Plus an area for kids to watch cartoons..if that is how they want to spend their time in WDW! LOL (only kidding, i know it comes in handy at some points, like waiting in line at CApe May Cafe!!)
Anyway, I guess like i said, i think that is why the theming of WDW is so awesome, Because there is really something for everyone.. While BC is my favorite, and AKL and CR don't do it for me, it isn't for everyone..
Thanks for your check in!

Thanks for the report Steve, I had to laugh because I guess us "Beach clubbers" do get a tad defensive about our resort. The bcv's is my "home" resort and I love it. While the WL leaves me feeling like I'm Daniel boone, I keep waiting for "Fess Parker" to mosey on up at any time and the decor while inspiring is too dark for me and a little too woodsey for me. Give me my Beach club villas any day of the week. :thumbsup2

santonucci said:
My, my...

People getting defensive over their beloved Beach Club?

Hi Steve:

I was not getting defensive~I love that there are so many choices in resorts and if we all liked the same things what good would that be!? Life would be boring!

for reporting in. Isn't it interesting how we're all different? We LOVE the YC/BC...it's our second favorite resort. Poly is #1. We stayed at WL once and didn't like it. It's beautiful, that's for sure, but we thought the rooms were small and dark, the pool was small, and the boat transportation was slow as molasses. I do like what you're calling the "grand area" @ WL. I guess I would stay there again, but ONLY if I got a really good rate oflike $129 - $139. However, I'm not sure about that because we weren't impressed with the CM's at WL. At all.

We think the BC is very magical and we love Stormalong Bay. We also love the location - the Epcot resort area is so nice...a lot to do, walk to Epcot and MGM.

PamNC

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter