Live from POR

drusso

Mouseketeer
Hi All,

Checked in very late on Thurs. 8/25. Here for 16 nts. When we arrived our plan was to do a split stay between 3 hotels. We typically stay deluxe. Well we love it here so much I went to the front desk to ask if we could do all nights here. They were very accomodating - canceled my other ressies and transferred the money over. Let me say I first called the 407 WDISNEY number and they did try very hard to help me - but the rate was much higher. They suggested calling the front desk. We are all happy things worked out.

Oh, one more thing, I made no room requests, other than non-smoking before I got here. Thought if they asked when I got here I would request the AB section. Well it was so late when we arrived they pretty much handed me my key and a map and wished me a good night. We are in the mansion section - Oak Manor building. I love it.

Also, took that magical express bus. Worked wonderfully - even at that late hour. Surprised to see so many guests at that hour! My bus made 3 stops - Old Key West - French Quarter - Riverside. Door to door the whole process took 40 minutes.

Had arranged for Wegoshop grocery delivery early Friday morning. Fantastic service.

Not on food plan but got the DDE card. This thing has just about paid for itself on 3 meals (only 2 of us). We saved $47 dollars already. We ate at Boatwrights for breakfast, Citricos and Kona's for dinner.

Will log back in late tonight. If you have any questions - I'm happy to try to and help. I've learned so much from all of you :wave:

Hi. I'm glad all is going well at POR. We check in on Friday for the weekend. We requested non-smoking and Oak Manor. I know we'll get a non-smoking room for sure due to my son's health issues, but the building is just a request. Who knows maybe we'll be neighbors for a few days.

Thanks for the report. We look foward to your updates.

Have a great time!

:banana:

Hi,

We'll be there too in October. Can you elaborate on Wegoshop grocery delivery ??? What is it and how do you go about ordering stuff??

Thanks!

Chantal

lovethattink: resort is not overly crowded so I'm hoping you get your request
also - there doesn't seem to be a bad view - landscaping is lovely

chanty: check out wegoshop.com - it will walk you through the process
I placed my order approx. 2 weeks before leaving home, I entered a grocery list (water, pepsi, etc.), I was specific with brand names and offered alternate acceptable brands. You enter the day and time you would like your groceries delivered (within 2 hr. timeframe). I received a prompt email confirmation from them with a telephone number to call once we had a room assignment . I did that and left them my cell number. They called me to let me know they would be by my room in approx. 15-20 minutes - I was at the pool at the time - it was great

So glad you're having a good time! Real time updates are so much fun. Looks like you're getting some rain right now--I suggest going to see Piano Bob in the River Roost Lounge! :)

We liked POR when we stayed there as well. Have a great two weeks!

We absolutely love POR! When we were there in March, we stayed in Oak Manor. I'm so glad that you can see the beauty of the place. Our son was staying at the Contempory but thought that POR was much nicer. Enjoy your stay there and thanks for the updates. Make those memories!!!

I am glad to hear that you like POR, it's hard when some people say it's great and others don't like it. We are going on our first WD trip 12/19-27 and are staying at POR. I'll be interested in your updates. :flower:

Glad you're having such a nice time and thank you for taking the time to report. :flower:

Drusso, thanx for the Live report!

I'm going to stay there in 2 weeks with a friend, and was thinking about staying in Oak Manor. Please let me know the following: Is it a long walk to the bus stop, or food court? Are you close to a pool? Is there a section/room/floor I should avoid? Any other helpful tips . . .

Sorry for so many questions . . . any answers you have, would be a great help! :listen:

lovethattink: I sent you a PM with my contact details. Hope to see you here.

chanty: I forgot this before, Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time here.

mef78: Have not yet had a chance to stop and enjoy Bob, but the two nights I have run through the joint was packed. Looks like everyone was having a blast.

sweetinmaine: I must have 25-30 onsite trips and stayed many WDW hotels, the Contemporary is the only one I would not consider returning to.

glendamax: Still finding my way, but Oak Manor seems to be situated a equal distance between 2 bus stops (maybe 5 min. walk if that). I tend to get off at the front of the hotel when returning at night, prefer that to going through the parking lot, cut through the main building which houses registration, food court, bar, arcade, etc. then there is a bridge over the 'river' and Oak Manor is right there. There is a large 'quiet' pool on the side of the building which is wonderful. Mansion section has 2 pools while AB section has 3, in addition to the larger pool with the slide. As far as location, the only place I wouldn't want to be is on the third floor - I personally don't like the interior staircases and I have not yet seen anyone use the elevator. I paid for a standard room and that is what I got, however I think the view of the landscaping is very nice. I would not pay extra for a water view here.

Only suggestions for improvement:

hot tub is very very very small (yes it is working) there were 4 people in
there when I found it - they looked to be on top of each other

ordered in a pizza last night for dinner - it had to have been the worse
thing I have ever eaten - no matter how lazy and tired you are feeling - go
out for food or go to bed hungry

Weather has been cooperating. Yesterday was the first rain day since my arrival and it didn't move in until after 3pm so no complaints. It was one of those true Florida thunderstorms - soaked through to your underwear! Lasted several hours - hence the pizza......

Had dinner at Wolfgang Pucks tonight. Food was wonderful has usual. Service was off. Saw two groups get up and leave.

Drusso, thanx so much for taking time to answer our questions so thoroughly!:teeth:

I hope you have yet another fun day!
-Gmax :wave2:

Thanks for the thoughts!! The wedding is surely getting close and we can't wait for the honeymoon :Pinkbounc

Don't forget to update us on your trip!

Take care,

Sat. 9/3

Crowds have picked up here today at the hotel and in the parks as expected for the holiday weekend. Last week we were able to walk into most restaurants without reservations (I hate planning too many things in advance). I've made a reservation for Yachtsman Steak this weekend but expect it to quiet down again come Tuesday. The days have been sunny and hot and the rain storms move in about 3pm for 2 hrs. or so.

Just an FYI - in all the times I have been here I didn't know...
1. annual passholders get a discount at the movies in Downtown Disney
2. you can take a city bus from the TTC to Sea World (makes for a fun day)

Enjoying our time here. POR is a beautiful resort. Housekeeping has been great.

Glad to see we aren't the only ones who hate WDW pizza. It's actually a disgrace to call it pizza!
Glad to hear you are having a great trip, I will be reading all you updates as we are staying at PO for the 1st time in december.

we'll be arriving in 2 weeks. it will be our 3rd stay at por, we love it as much as some of the deluxe resorts! look forward to your other reports. ::MickeyMo

We just returned on the 3rd. We arrived on Sat. 8/27 and stayed the week in building #18 AB at POR and had a fantastic time! This was our first ever trip to Disney and we are really grieving that it is over now. :guilty:

I can't believe how sad we all are! We had a wonderful visit-minus the extreme heat and humidity (and we are native Texans living in Virginia so we know heat). The crowds weren't bad and we loved our resort. The food court was madness on Sat. morning 9/3 but other than that was very manageable.

Glad to hear you love POR as well. It's hard not to wonder about the "other side". We ate at CR (Chef Mickey's) and Poly (O'hanas) and Fort Wilderness (Hoop Dee Doo) so we had the "what ifs?" a couple of times. Still we were thrilled with our choice and can't wait to go back! -(I can't believe I am saying that!!!! :rolleyes1 )

I am going to do a dining review and a trip report but I am still so overwhelmed by it all and school starts day after tomorrow!!!! AHHHHH :earseek:

Drusso, thanx for giving another report! And TXgirl, I'll be looking fwd to your report as well. I'll be leaving for POR on Friday, so make it SNAPPY! :rotfl:

Hi,

Are you using the new hi-speed internet access at POR? I know it's suppose to be working some time this month.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter