Live from Enchanted China!

This travel alert was just issued by the State Department. It sounds like the Chinese government isn't taking any chances with this swine flu pandemic.

June 19, 2009

The Department of State alerts U.S. citizens to the quarantine measures imposed by the Government of China in response to the 2009-H1N1 pandemic that may affect travel to China. This Travel Alert expires on September 30, 2009.

Current quarantine measures in China include placing arriving passengers who exhibit fever or flu-like symptoms into seven-day quarantine. Although the proportion of arriving Americans being quarantined remains low, the random nature of the selection process increases the uncertainty surrounding travel to China. The selection process focuses on those sitting in close proximity to another traveler exhibiting fever or flu-like symptoms or on those displaying an elevated temperature if arriving from an area where outbreaks of 2009-H1N1 have occurred. We have reports of passengers arriving from areas where outbreaks have occurred (including the U.S. and Mexico) being placed in precautionary quarantine simply because they registered slightly elevated temperatures.

In some instances, children have been separated from their parents because either the parent or the child tested positive for 2009-H1N1 and was placed in quarantine for treatment. This situation presents the possibility of Chinese medical personnel administering medications to minors without first having consulted their parents.

The Department of State has received reports about unsuitable quarantine conditions, including the unavailability of suitable drinking water and food, unsanitary conditions, and the inability to communicate with others.

Travelers to China are reminded that all foreign travelers, including U.S. citizens, are obliged to follow local procedures regarding quarantines and any other public health-related measures. The U.S. Embassy will be unable to influence the duration of stay in quarantine for affected travelers. The Chinese government will not compensate people for lost travel expenses. Travelers to China are urged to consider purchasing travel insurance to protect against losses in the event they are quarantined.

For more information on U.S. Government policy during a pandemic, and for travel safety information, please see the State Department’s “Pandemic/ Avian Influenza” and “Remain in Country” fact sheets on www.travel.state.gov

Further information about 2009-H1N1 Influenza, including steps you can take to stay healthy, can be found at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control website at http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/ ; the U.S. Government pandemic influenza website at http://www.pandemicflu.gov ; and the World Health Organization website at http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/en/index.html

U.S. citizens are strongly encouraged to register with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate through the Department of State’s travel registration website. By registering, American citizens can receive the Embassy’s most recent security and safety updates during their trip. Registration also ensures that U.S. citizens can be reached should an emergency arise either abroad or at home. While consular officers will do their utmost to assist Americans in a crisis, travelers always should be aware that local authorities bear primary responsibility for the welfare of people living or traveling in their jurisdictions.

My daughter is in Xian now. she had an exchange student from China this year and her parents wanted my daughter to come back with the student and they said not to worry that were going to pay for everything. She arrived friday morning around 2 am. They took her out yesterday and had her fitted for a traditional Chinese dress then last night took her out to a red carpet event, an opening for a new French restaurant, invitation only, lots of Chinese big wigs there, I guess it was just like here when movie stars arrive at the award shows and photographers everywhere taking pics

What an awesome experience for your daughter! I hope she is having a wonderful time.

I am here in china right now too, in Xi'an for 10days although I only have until sunday morning at 7 until i leave for shanghi to catch my plane that afternoon for Ohare airport. Yesterday we went to the terracotta warriors and it was a wonderful thing to see. Just amazing, and they are still digging and finding more things and looking for the body of the president who is buried there somewhere. And the mountains near there are amazing too! I am staying in Xian for my whole stay with my chinese exchange student and her parents and I feel like I am royalty here. Her parents paid for my airfare and all the meals. So far I am having an amazing expierence. This is my only time I have been outside of the USA. When I get home I will make sure I post photos. I have posted some on my myspace if you want to look jones.family5@sbcglobal.net Not to hijack your thread, but i wanted to share the joy of being in China with you, it is a trip that I will never forget.

I am happy you are having a great experience! The terra cotta warriors were fantastic! I am glad we got to see them. It made the trip complete. With your having more time, you were able to see all 3 dig sites. We were only able to see 2 and we missed the building with the bronze chariot. Oh well, next time!

So sorry for the lengthy delay in posting, but we had trouble with the internet in Shanghai. The broadband wouldn't work in our room. It was supposed to be $15 per day which I was going to pay for 1 day. I sat on the phone with tech support at the Hilton for 30 minutes to discover that the broadband in my room wouldn't work for some reason, but the wifi did. The only 2 packages offered by the hotel were broadband only for $15 for a 24 hour period or broadband plus wifi for $20 for a 24 hour period. They would not discount the wifi even though the broadband didn't work so I refused to use their internet. There was an ecafe next to the hotel, but I didn't have time to drag the computer over there to work. We were just too busy! Anyway, here is where I left off:

Day 7
Today we began our day with a session of tai chi. How wonderful! The local master spent about 30 minutes with us and taught us some basic moves. At the end of the session he gave us a demonstration. Wow! I never knew tai chi was so versatile. You can use some of the moves as self defense. We did our tai chi with the gum drop mountains, a beautiful lake and lots of sculpture in the background. It was very relaxing. Later in the morningwe took the bus to the dock where we board a boat for our Li River cruise. Disney uses a different, less crowded dock further down the river from the point where most boats load. It was great to have a whole boat to ourselves. We could see other boats that were crammed full of tourists. Tour groups and individuals had been mixed to fill a boat. We had our own and could chose to sit inside in the air conditioning or sit on top with the best views. It was magnificent! The mountains are breathtaking. The cruise lasted about 90 minutes and definitely made for a great break in the high energy touring we have been doing. We ate lunch at a hotel in the city where the cruise ended. Once again the food was served family style and it was delicious. We had almost 2 hours to shop and I found a beautiful majong set for just under $30. It had a leather case and bone and bamboo game pieces. You never know if what you buy is authentic in these markets, but I like the set and I didn’t feel $30 was too much to pay even if its not real. I also found 3 yellow jade pendants of my daughters’ and my birth years. I paid around $10 each for those. The bus brought us back to the hotel with enough time for the kids to have a quick swim before dinner. Some rode bikes instead. There are bicycles available for the guests to use and it is a wonderful area to ride and enjoy all of the sculptures. Dinner was a “barbeque” and I won’t say what all we had since I know some of you are taking the trip after me. Since we arrived late last night because of our stop in Xian, the movie night was moved to tonight. There is a small theater on the grounds of the hotel. I attended because I like the movie they were showing. It was a lot of fun. That’s it for today.

Day 8
We were not rushed this morning since our flight wasn’t until late morning. We were able to enjoy a liesurely breakfast. Some of the kids had time for a bike ride. My DD and I went for a short walk. We traveled by bus to the Guilin airport to travel to Shanghai. The flight attendant said it was 2 hours 15 minutes flight time, but I don’t think it was that long. It didn’t feel that long anyway. Again, our bags were picked up and delivered to the hotel for us. We didn’t have to touch them other than putting them out into the hall by 9 a.m. before we left the Hotel of Modern Art.
We were supposed to go to the Children’s Palace but because of the H1N1 scare, they asked us not to come. There has been another event scheduled for tomorrow to replace this one. We had time upon arrival at the Hilton Shanghai to walk to a Buddhist Temple not far away. The detail in the roof and doors is beautiful. There was a small admission fee, but it was worth it. Next to the temple is a large mall. We will probably visit there later. Now, we have to get back to get ready for a very nice dinner.
Dinner tonight is at “M” on the Bund. Wow, what a view! The Shanghai city skyline is beautiful. We were able to take picdtures before and after dark. A rain storm drove us back inside for a while, but after we ate it was dry again and we were able to take some beautiful pictures. The food is wonderful. We ordered from a limited menu. Dessert at most of the Chinese restaurants we have been to has been fruit. Tonight we were served an assortment of sweets on a tray to share. They were delicious!

BriarRose59, glad to hear from you! I would totally have done the same about the Internet connection as you. How very petty of them. Honestly!

Sounds like you are still having a wonderful time. I'm sorry the H1N1 scare has skuttled some of your plans, but I'm sure they have something great ready to substitute!

That dinner at "M", with the view and all, sounds wonderful!

Sayhello

Hi Briar Rose!
I am so glad you are having such a fantastic time! Thanks very much for posting your updates. We all gather around the computer to read them. We are leaving tomorrow for China.

The girls are so excited. I think we have them convinced that the plane ride will be a fantastic adventure!;)

Have fun!

We can't wait to meet you either! Our family is pretty easy to spot. DH has a full beard, I laugh a lot, and our daughters are frequently singing and dancing.

I hope you have an uneventful flight! We have to go to Chicago first, then on to Beijing.

2GirlsMama, have a WONDERFUL time!

I just noticed you are in Ohio. Go Bucks!

You're flying non-stop from Chicago to Beijing? Wow! That *will* be quite an adventure. Hopefully an uneventful one!

Sayhello

This is the trip that we lined up for our "early day". I thought the Summer Palace would be great to see (my son wants to see the marble boat) and there aren't many that don't include somewhere that Disney is taking us anyway. The Lama Temple sounds neat... and the zoo... well... my kids always like going to the zoo to take pictures. I figure getting my son out of the zoo without having to read every sign about every animal we have time to see will be much easier since he won't be able to read them anyway.

http://beijing-tourism.com/beijing-day-tours/BTPT01-J.html

I'm getting excited. 28 days until we leave

I am sitting at the Hong Kong airport waiting to board our flight home. I am sorry that I haven't been able to finish the trip yet. I will work on that on our 11 hour flight from Tokyo to LAX since I'll have plenty of time! I have been typing the daily reports in Word and then using cut & paste to post them.

I hope all of you that are leaving on this trip soon will have as wonderful of a time as we had. It is a fantastic trip and one that we will always remember. ABD is fantastic and the guides they employ are first rate. Thanks Brian, Huan anhd ABD for a wonderful experience!

Just started reading your TR! My husband and I were looking through the adventure trips and thought the China one looked amazing!! We already said that we wanted to do it when our children were old enough. Thanks for sharing your experience!!

My DS said ABD called the house today to inform us that they've added Xian (TC Warriors) to our trip as well! I hope he heard correctly because that would make the trip absolutely perfect! We leave in about 24 hours and can't wait. BriarRose...thanks so much for your posts. It makes us feel like we're there (wait...we *will* be soon).:tigger:

My DS said ABD called the house today to inform us that they've added Xian (TC Warriors) to our trip as well! I hope he heard correctly because that would make the trip absolutely perfect! We leave in about 24 hours and can't wait. BriarRose...thanks so much for your posts. It makes us feel like we're there (wait...we *will* be soon).:tigger:
Siliobear, that's wonderful! Man, if they are adding this permanently to this trip, it has zoomed way up to the top of my "must do" list!

ENJOY YOUR TRIP!!!! :cool1:

Sayhello

We just got "the call" from Sue at ABD. They have changed our itinerary to include the terracotta warriors! Day 6 will have its changed itinerary letter in the mail in the next couple days!

Woohoo!!!

Broken hearted DS <girlfriend broke up with him> even almost smiled!

We just got "the call" from Sue at ABD. They have changed our itinerary to include the terracotta warriors! Day 6 will have its changed itinerary letter in the mail in the next couple days!

Woohoo!!!

Broken hearted DS <girlfriend broke up with him> even almost smiled!

Congrats for the addition! It was an awesome experience, one that I'll always remember. Sorry to hear about DS. This trip will be a nice time away for him. We had a great group of kids on our trip. They were tight from day 1 and it was hard to see everyone say goodbye at our farewell dinner.

I haven't been able to type up the rest of my report yet. I had a wedding yesterday and didn't have time to do any work. Today we have tickets to a musical in Dallas so I will try to get to it in the next couple of days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter