live at OKW and after 15 yrs I HAVE HAD IT!

ILoveMyDVC

DIS Veteran
Well, after 15 years of absolutely loving my DVC membership, I have had it.

Let's recap:
1. 4 days of waiting for someone to trim the palm trees that are hanging over the balcony ( I have a real fear and was promised everyday that it would be taken care of) Don't need a truck - just someone with Fiskars. I realize they can't cater to everyone's whims but they shouldn't have said they'd fix it if they didn't intend to get to it.

2. Dinner at Cape May Cafe (always on our arrival night). ADRs were 45 minutes behind. Food sucked. Servers working the buffet were miserable and snipping at each other. At one point, there was only one women back there and she was doing all of the carving. There were no steamers (looked like the oven was going to blow any minute), mac & cheese, corn on the cob, terriyaki salmon or potatoes. They got rid of the lemonade (now, it's lite crystal garbage) Cost was 76 dollars for two without alcohol. We ate at Paula Deen's restaurant in Savannah the night before for 66 dollars with wine and beer and the servers were super nice and the food was very good. At Cape May, AP and DVC discounts gone and 'premium' charge added.

3. Quality of things I look forward to has dropped considerably. No more cupcakes with real frosting. It's fake pumped non dairy lard. Cupcake is thawed dry flavorless frozen cake. Candy apple was 6 dollars and awful - had to be thrown away. Oddly, we were approached to take a survey about our food experiences in HS. Peanut butter cups were 6 dollars and when opened (immediately in store) were one massive melted and re-melted ball. Popcorn in MK and HS was cold and soggy.

4. In HS, refused the one and only water we have ever requested - told they could no longer give water to their guests for health reasons. But they could sell us Powerade for 3 dollars a piece.

5. BUGS in Caesar salad at the Land - several bugs and nobody cared. manager and cashier just looked at them, shrugged, threw it in the garbage and refunded my money.

6. Witnessed a cast member give a guest grief because she wanted a small size t-shirt. The store was empty and he wasn't doing anything but he sure gave her attitude.

7. Three phone calls and a visit to concierge to get an answer as to where to purchase TIW card. Had to go to one of the 4 parks to get it. What a PIA.
1st cast member (desk at OKW via phone) didn't know what it was - had to explain twice. 2nd. member said DTD only. 3rd. said parks only. 4th. said EPCOT only.

8. Last night, late in HS - we were at the board that lists the wait times. THREE Disney MANAGERS were standing there. We asked about the accuracy of the time for Toy Story Mania. We were told that it is 'the hottest thing in Orlando right now' followed by one of the MANAGERS saying until "(blah blah) opens in Universal. He then asked if we'd been to that park. I said, no, we always just go to Disney. His response...."oh you should go to blah blah, it's much better than here" A DISNEY MANAGER WITH TWO OTHER DISNEY MANAGERS. When I looked at him oddly, he said, "my partner works there so my mortgage gets paid either way". Good for him. Maybe Disney should open an institute and run business seminars on arrogant customer service. Reminds me of the airlines.

9. 285 dollar check for 6 people with 3 drinks at O'Hana. Price was outrageous but 22 minute wait for waiter to stop at table to bring skewers (or refills on the appetizers) was even crazier Finally, a server came over and apologized - he said he worked on the other side of the dining room but came over to help out because they were so far behind. (the tables next to us were in the same boat) The mandatory 41 dollar tip was OUTRAGEOUS. Really, how many people do you think make 41/hr plus their salary and benefits in the real world? And that's just one table and he sucked!

10. Knob broken off cabinet (screw is stripped so it can't be fixed); three shelves in cabinets broken, stains on couch, rug worn out in some areas; balcony loaded with wasp nests. Knives are dime store quality. Blender completely worthless couldn't move air.

11. First ever bus ride at WDW- AK to OKW or so I thought. Had to go to Blizzard Beach in between (???). No air conditioning on the bus and I am always cold. My DH and friends left at the same time from the AK lot, they had to go to the tram, go the car (end of row in Dinosaur 31) and go to Publix. We went to the bus top and boarded the waiting bus. We got back barely two minutes before they did.

12. Nobody checked IDs at EMH at HS. Only TOT looked. RRC, Move Ride, and Muppet Vision did not and the lines were enormous. At 11:30, RRC was 85 minutes.

13. Arrogant, miserable cast members in every park. (exception was Louis at check-in, he was very nice) It's as if they are doing you a favor just by being there. Lots of sighing and shrugging and eye rolling and it seems to be consistent with all guests. There's a chip on the shoulder and a make-fun-of-the-guests attitude that is pervasive. Even the roof guy working at OKW outside of our room was snotty and arrogant. Disney has made some very poor decisions in its hiring choices for a few years and it is really showing now at the management level.

14. Last few years, I haven't felt valued as a DVC member. It was more a feeling of being trapped but I loved OKW and WDW. Now I don't feel valued as a guest at OKW or WDW. I can get better treatment and more knowledgeable staff that like and want their jobs at my local mall. And this includes my guide, who I have spoken to 4 times in 15 years (the first 3 before I signed the contract). He is never available and he never returns calls.

Gosh, that was really long but thanks for letting me say it all. We have another 8 days here. Hopefully, it gets better but I don't think it will.:sad2:

I hope it does get better for you. We had a great trip end of May/first of June and stayed at the BCV. It was very nice. OKW is our favorite and where we will be staying next.

I hope it does get better for you. We had a great trip end of May/first of June and stayed at the BCV. It was very nice. OKW is our favorite and where we will be staying next.

Your signature is exactly how I feel - always makes me smile to read it :). MY BEDROOM - don't care who else comes or what their arrangements are. It's MY bedroom. Mattress is comfortable for us but we sleep on 95% sleep select at home. Pillows are cotton balls - I brought my own foam one.

Wow, I am sorry to hear that you are having this experience. We just got back from a week at Kidani and it was great. The vast majority of the CMs we encountered were very pleasant. That story you tell about the manager at DHS demonstrates completely unacceptable behavior by a WDW manager.

We are thinking of booking OKW for a short 4 night stay. Should we not? Our last OKW stay was fantastic.

Your signature is exactly how I feel - always makes me smile to read it :). MY BEDROOM - don't care who else comes or what their arrangements are. It's MY bedroom. Mattress is comfortable for us but we sleep on 95% sleep select at home. Pillows are cotton balls - I brought my own foam one.

What I wouldn't give for DVC to put real king sized pillows on the king sized beds. Wouldn't that be heaven???

:guilty: I think I need to take a break from the DIS for a while. We haven't even closed on our first DVC purchase and this bums me out too much. I want to look forward to my October trip . I am so sorry things have not worked out for you and do hope that your trip improves.:)

:guilty: I think I need to take a break from the DIS for a while. We haven't even closed on our first DVC purchase and this bums me out too much. I want to look forward to my October trip . I am so sorry things have not worked out for you and do hope that your trip improves.:)

I'm brand new to this board and :eek: to all the dirty room bad service comments. We also just purchased.

DH and I have been researching DVC for a long time and have been sooo close to purchasing for a few weeks now. Threads like this are a good wake up call for us, actually. Helps me cool down my rush to buy. We'll keep looking at resales and saving up money in the meantime so hopefully we don't have to finance. Anywho, I'm really discouraged that conditions have deteriorated with DVC and WDW in general.
To the OP, hope things improve for your vacation!

I am SO sorry that you are having such a horrible time, what bad luck. PLEASE write a letter or tell any 'good' manager that you can. Having been a cast memeber and now being a manager I know that if you really want things to change you have to tell the people that can change things! Plus I don't want Disney to go down the toilet. ;)

Different experiences for different people. I'm sorry to the OP for a terrible week, but we have been to the world 6 times in the last 4 years and have had amazing trips each time. Only one was a bummer and that was due to a crabby 3 yo.
I do agree about the dining however. It is just so expensive compared to even fine dining outside the world. Now when we eat out, I compare costs to Disney and am always shocked at where we can dine for much less than what it costs for a meal at Disney. Thankfully that's not a huge part of the experience for us. We would actually prefer a couple of meals out, and the rest in the villa where we can eat more healthfully and eat foods that the kids are used to. We may eventually even start venturing out into Orlando when we start renting a car as the kids get older. Plus we live in Chicago where there are many great restaurants so we don't feel the need to eat at a "great steakhouse" like Le Cellier when we have many much nicer ones here.

Sorry about your trip, hopefully the Disney employee lurkers will see this post.

Well, after 15 years of absolutely loving my DVC membership, I have had it.

Let's recap:
1. 4 days of waiting for someone to trim the palm trees that are hanging over the balcony ( I have a real fear and was promised everyday that it would be taken care of) Don't need a truck - just someone with Fiskars. I realize they can't cater to everyone's whims but they shouldn't have said they'd fix it if they didn't intend to get to it.

2. Dinner at Cape May Cafe (always on our arrival night). ADRs were 45 minutes behind. Food sucked. Servers working the buffet were miserable and snipping at each other. At one point, there was only one women back there and she was doing all of the carving. There were no steamers (looked like the oven was going to blow any minute), mac & cheese, corn on the cob, terriyaki salmon or potatoes. They got rid of the lemonade (now, it's lite crystal garbage) Cost was 76 dollars for two without alcohol. We ate at Paula Deen's restaurant in Savannah the night before for 66 dollars with wine and beer and the servers were super nice and the food was very good. At Cape May, AP and DVC discounts gone and 'premium' charge added.

3. Quality of things I look forward to has dropped considerably. No more cupcakes with real frosting. It's fake pumped non dairy lard. Cupcake is thawed dry flavorless frozen cake. Candy apple was 6 dollars and awful - had to be thrown away. Oddly, we were approached to take a survey about our food experiences in HS. Peanut butter cups were 6 dollars and when opened (immediately in store) were one massive melted and re-melted ball. Popcorn in MK and HS was cold and soggy.

4. In HS, refused the one and only water we have ever requested - told they could no longer give water to their guests for health reasons. But they could sell us Powerade for 3 dollars a piece.

5. BUGS in Caesar salad at the Land - several bugs and nobody cared. manager and cashier just looked at them, shrugged, threw it in the garbage and refunded my money.

6. Witnessed a cast member give a guest grief because she wanted a small size t-shirt. The store was empty and he wasn't doing anything but he sure gave her attitude.

7. Three phone calls and a visit to concierge to get an answer as to where to purchase TIW card. Had to go to one of the 4 parks to get it. What a PIA.
1st cast member (desk at OKW via phone) didn't know what it was - had to explain twice. 2nd. member said DTD only. 3rd. said parks only. 4th. said EPCOT only.

8. Last night, late in HS - we were at the board that lists the wait times. THREE Disney MANAGERS were standing there. We asked about the accuracy of the time for Toy Story Mania. We were told that it is 'the hottest thing in Orlando right now' followed by one of the MANAGERS saying until "(blah blah) opens in Universal. He then asked if we'd been to that park. I said, no, we always just go to Disney. His response...."oh you should go to blah blah, it's much better than here" A DISNEY MANAGER WITH TWO OTHER DISNEY MANAGERS. When I looked at him oddly, he said, "my partner works there so my mortgage gets paid either way". Good for him. Maybe Disney should open an institute and run business seminars on arrogant customer service. Reminds me of the airlines.

9. 285 dollar check for 6 people with 3 drinks at O'Hana. Price was outrageous but 22 minute wait for waiter to stop at table to bring skewers (or refills on the appetizers) was even crazier Finally, a server came over and apologized - he said he worked on the other side of the dining room but came over to help out because they were so far behind. (the tables next to us were in the same boat) The mandatory 41 dollar tip was OUTRAGEOUS. Really, how many people do you think make 41/hr plus their salary and benefits in the real world? And that's just one table and he sucked!

10. Knob broken off cabinet (screw is stripped so it can't be fixed); three shelves in cabinets broken, stains on couch, rug worn out in some areas; balcony loaded with wasp nests. Knives are dime store quality. Blender completely worthless couldn't move air.

11. First ever bus ride at WDW- AK to OKW or so I thought. Had to go to Blizzard Beach in between (???). No air conditioning on the bus and I am always cold. My DH and friends left at the same time from the AK lot, they had to go to the tram, go the car (end of row in Dinosaur 31) and go to Publix. We went to the bus top and boarded the waiting bus. We got back barely two minutes before they did.

12. Nobody checked IDs at EMH at HS. Only TOT looked. RRC, Move Ride, and Muppet Vision did not and the lines were enormous. At 11:30, RRC was 85 minutes.

13. Arrogant, miserable cast members in every park. (exception was Louis at check-in, he was very nice) It's as if they are doing you a favor just by being there. Lots of sighing and shrugging and eye rolling and it seems to be consistent with all guests. There's a chip on the shoulder and a make-fun-of-the-guests attitude that is pervasive. Even the roof guy working at OKW outside of our room was snotty and arrogant. Disney has made some very poor decisions in its hiring choices for a few years and it is really showing now at the management level.

14. Last few years, I haven't felt valued as a DVC member. It was more a feeling of being trapped but I loved OKW and WDW. Now I don't feel valued as a guest at OKW or WDW. I can get better treatment and more knowledgeable staff that like and want their jobs at my local mall. And this includes my guide, who I have spoken to 4 times in 15 years (the first 3 before I signed the contract). He is never available and he never returns calls.

Gosh, that was really long but thanks for letting me say it all. We have another 8 days here. Hopefully, it gets better but I don't think it will.:sad2:

Don't spend your time writing a letter. Just print out what you've written here, and drop it off in the next day or two at one of the DVC offices to be delivered to a manager. Leave your room number and I bet you'll get some response.

I hope your trip gets better.

Wow, did you have any fun?

We have never had a really bad trip. Yes things don't always go as planned, favorite menus change. Sometimes things don't work right in the rooms. I've never seen dirty rooms, but I do see rooms made up and clean so quickly that I doubt they are really cleaned, but that's in DVC and regular WDW rooms, so no real difference there for us. I find things are hit or miss. My worse trips have always been in June or July. Don't know why. Maybe because the crowd level is high, the temps are high and people all over are crankie. You had some very valid points and some not so valid (TiW--with a little reserach prior, you would've know that it could only be purchased at guest relations just like your AP). As for EMH, we don't use it because it's no longer a perk as far as we're concerned and hasn't been since e-ticket nights. We use EMH to know which park to avoid. I'm guessing they didn't think the palm limbs removal were medically necessary -- that's too bad (maybe talking to the manager about your fear would've helped there). We had had air cleaners put in our rooms several times for the smells and it's never been a problem. I think you need to take a break. I'm not sure if you dissatisfaction is all DVC related or just Disney in a whole. Hopefully some pixie dust will fall on your before your trip is over...pixiedust:

Please don't let one DISer's bad trip report spoil your trip planning. There are many wonderful trip reports here on the DIS to read as well!!

During the past year, my family has spent about 20 nights in DVC resorts and I can't think of any negative events that occurred. My family leaves again in less than a month and we are all super-excited!!:dance3:

These Disboards are made up of people's experiences and opinions good & bad. When someone like the OP vents about things not being up to par or rather not up to a standard commonly expected through 15 years of past experience, it's just that, a vent. Imagine how many wonderful trips have been taken in that 15 years of DVC ownership and unfortunately, this trip culminated in several things making the beginning of this trip a disapointment, it happens. These things shouldn't affect someone else's vacation or decision on ownership, IMO.

I do know from friends who are original owners at OKW much like the OP that DVC ownership/perks/service etc. has changed over the years, it's no longer the best kept secret. These resorts are utilized and beat up and the refurbishements never come fast enough but this happens in each resort, even Kidani will show wear and tear just like OKW. I've owned since 2000, used a friends DVC even before that, and I've had 30+ stays, 98% of which were beyond fabulous. Most of the wonderful stays were at OKW, my favorite resort and even though I think mousekkeeping is a problem right now at OKW, it's still my favorite resort and I would not hesitate staying there again, in Aug as a matter a fact.

Disney's perks like free dining and the like has made me change my dining options to go outside of the parks, into Orlando, as Disney has changed I've had to make changes to maximize my vacation using DVC/WDW. I no longer give all my money to WDW.

In the end, as another poster said, "I guess I've been lucky", for me that many stays, isn't luck, but just like the OP it's made me aware of a standard that I've come to expect with DVC/WDW and I hold them to it.

OP, you have another 8 days, as an optimist, I say it can only get better and I hope it does. pixiedust:

so its seems to me that this is more of an overall disney problem not only DVC?

so its seems to me that this is more of an overall disney problem not only DVC?

I got that impression as well. I am so sorry OP for the horrible experience you are having. I know all too well what it's like to plan for so many months and then have a trip go sour. Most of our trips have been absolutely wonderful though and with any luck we will still have many more to come. I hope this will be an isolated experience for you and your next trip will be as magical as you deserve. And pixiedust: to you that the rest of this vacation will be the total opposite of what it's been so far.

I'm so sorry to read about your horrific trip experiences. Here's hoping that today (and the remainder of your trip) is wonderful!! :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter