Little Tip for riding Mission Space...

LauraR

Mouseketeer<br><font color=red>Needs to do some se
Don't go to Ice Station Cool right beforehand! Drinking Beverly was bad enough, but then my kids started mixing flavors and trying them out on Mom and Dad. I didn't have any trouble with Mission Space the first time, but when we went back to use our Fastpasses after our Ice Station Cool experience, my stomach was feeling much more queasy (and that was before the ride!) Happy to report we didn't have to use any sick bags, but didn't feel like eating anything for awhile either...

Very good tip! I have yet to ride Mission Space and will be riding for the first time this May. I've never been sick on a ride, but this one is making me nervous!

i wasn't too nervous about this ride until we got there. there must have been a thousand warnings and it really rattled me (which is unusual)

it turned out to be just fine

one other tip: they tell you to look straight ahead and not look around--listen to this one! i looked away from the screen for a couple of seconds and boy was i dizzy!

no problem with motoin sickness though.

Originally posted by maps
one other tip: they tell you to look straight ahead and not look around--listen to this one! i looked away from the screen for a couple of seconds and boy was i dizzy!

oooh...good to know! I have habit of closing my eyes on roller coasters! -- not for the entire ride, but just for a second every now and then.

How is this ride for little kids? My son will be four when we go and tall enough to ride. He's a pretty tough kid, but I'm not sure if he would like this one. He loves simulator rides like Star Tours but this sounds rougher.

I DON'T THINK SIZE HAS MUCH TO DO WITH IT. MY CHILDREN LOVED THE RIDE I DID NOT. IT MADE ME VERY UNCOMFORTABLE. I DIDN'T REALIZE IT WOULD BUT BOY ONCE I GOT IN THEIR I WAS WISHING I COULD BE SOMEWHERE ELSE. I DON'T MIND CLOSED IN SPACE'S OR AT LEAST I DIDN'T THINK I DID. BEING CLOSED IN AND THE GFORCE WAS TOO MUCH FOR ME. I MADE IT TO THE END BUT VOWED "I'VE DONE THE RIDE AND I NEVER HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN"

Add me to the been there, done that, list! Never again! Both the boys want to ride, but I am not sure I want to let them! What if they end up being sick the rest of the day? that's no fun!

I'm not sure I want to try it now. I hate closed spaces and I get sick easily.

I have already decided that I will not ride it. I would not get sick from the ridr but all I would have to hear is someone puking and that would be it for me. :D

We just got back and after reading all the warnings, we just couldn't ride it. There is a warning if you have a headache not to ride, don't close your eyes, etc. etc.

We were going until all those warnings.

Does the ride itself spin?

Does someone feel like explaining the ride in detail?

Thx
Joanna

Yes the ride spins.

Perhaps you have seen if not ridden the Round Up at amusement parks or county fairs, although I don[t think Mission Space tilts up that much.

Like on the Round Up, everybody in all six or so cabins is in a circle facing the center. Although unlike Round Up where everyone stands, on Mission Space everyone is seated and (I think) each cabin or group of seats can tilt in or out a little. Like Round Up it is as if the circle then starts to turn like a giant turntable. The ride cabins of Mission Space are shaped in a way that it does not look like everyone is in a circle. Supposedly when you keep facing the circle center (at the video screen) you do not think you are spinning.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Rode Mission Space once, fortunately didn't throw up but felt uneasy and queasy and disoriented for about half an hour afterwards and wasn't myself for another half hour.

From the time you actually get in the capsule how long does it take before it's over?

Still haven't done this ride, and thinking of trying it in June, but not sure as yet.:rolleyes:

Add me to the been there, done that, never again list. I was not myself for about an hour after I rode it. When we go back next month, DH will ride MS while I ride Test Track. He thinks TT is lame and too tame, but it's just my speed.

I rode it twice in January with no problem. Definitely keep your eyes open and watch the video monitor in front of you...it probably does make a big difference because your eyes can "override" your inner ear as far as whether or not your brain tells you that you're spinning.

Seashore's description is good, to a point...in those carnival rides, there is not a video screen in front of you to focus on...more likely you are looking at a person across the way, as well as can see the rest of the carnival in 360 degrees as you go around...so I would think the spinning sensation is much more pronounced on the carnival ride.

Probably most people would do better to have not eaten right before the ride.

The multiple warnings about getting motion sick, etc. I find to be a bit overdone. As my friend commented in January, "Wonder how many people feel sick just because they were TOLD they would?" The power of suggestion can be amazing.

These comments come from a person who doesn't enjoy the teacups and cannot handle Astro Orbiters. :)
Hope this convinces maybe a few people to try the amazing experience of Mission: Space who might otherwise not. Remember, look at the TV monitor!

Cheers!

Thank you ironz. I was halfway convincing myself while reading this to not even give it a shot. I really HATE spinning things. Even those little "merry-go-rounds" at parks make me ill just sitting on it going SLOWLY. I WOuLD like to try this ride for the sake of my poor husband (who wants me to try EVERYTHING JUST ONCE:earseek: ) and I DO think this would be an awesome experience. Anyhow, reading your post made me feel a little better about MAYBE trying it :)

I REALLY REALLY liked this ride.... my brother liked it, but felt very very nauscious (sp) after..... He had to sit in the grass to actually be able to get up and going. The thing is he CAN NOT take spinning. His palms were sweating a little bit (not just from heat) on the teacups and he didn't even touch the inner circle thing that makes you spin.

You don't REALLY feel like you are spinning (unless you turn your head and trust me, you feel it then) but he said his body could tell it was spinning.... but yet he can ride coaster after coaster drop after drop and loop after loop,.... lol. And then there is my dad who is the same as my brother with spinnig but LOVED mission space!! But what can I say? lol. I really enjoyed it!

Chica...I hope you do try it...remember to watch the video, looking straight ahead...after all, that is part of the total cool factor of this ride...watching Earth below you, just like an Astronaut...

I really think the warning signs are overdone...like I said, the power of suggestion.

Have fun on your trip!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter