Little things that "bust" a budget...stolen backpack

EKW

DIS Veteran
Sigh. I've been trying to be frugal. I took a major paycut 3 years ago...lost my job last year...and am looking at taking a paycut at my new job. Tonight at church (!?) someone took my older son's backpack. It was only 4 months old. He had his cell phone, a baseball cap, a new spray can of sunblock, and a book in it. It's not a fortune...a loss of about $90...but every penny counts!

Thankfully my younger son had borrowed the older one's graphing calculator, so it is safe here at home.

It's these little things that drive me nuts. When you don't have "extra" money, little things like this mean you have to figure out what you can do without in order to replace what was taken. Still, I was thrilled to find out that the calculator was safe at home!

Wow, that's terrible. Can't believe someone stole something while at church.

Did you call the church and ask if anyone found it - maybe the backpack was just mislaid and will turn up?

That would bother me too! It's terrible when people take things that don't belong to them. I hope it turns up.

Wow, that's terrible. Can't believe someone stole something while at church.

It is terrible, but not everyone who enters a church is honest. Also, if the church is as large as the one we attend, sometimes people just come in to steal stuff. Our church has caught a man trying to steal from the offering containers scattered around. They now have slots in the lids instead of just being open, and the people who collect the money have "bodyguards". My DH had a insulated vest disappear from church. Our church also has cleaning and maintenance employees who do not attend, but only work there, so just as anywhere, you have to watch your possessions.

It might turn up; check back for it. My friend was sure someone stole her library books out of her car... Turns out she left them at the library and totally forgot.

So sorry to hear this. I work at a church and we have had things stolen in the past. Our church is right off a major highway in town, we have several people who are hitchhiking across country stop in and ask for money. We do not keep cash in the church. Too risky!

I would definitely post something at church. You never know, it might have been an honest mistake. Someone might have had a backpack like it and thought it was their's.

I understand just what you mean! I had a tote bag stolen recently full of things like a Swiss army knife, Vera Bradley make up bag, thumb drive full of files for work, etc. Probably about $100 worth of stuff!

It's just not in the budget to replace all this plus the broken car window!:sad2:

Sigh. I've been trying to be frugal. I took a major paycut 3 years ago...lost my job last year...and am looking at taking a paycut at my new job. Tonight at church (!?) someone took my older son's backpack. It was only 4 months old. He had his cell phone, a baseball cap, a new spray can of sunblock, and a book in it. It's not a fortune...a loss of about $90...but every penny counts!

Thankfully my younger son had borrowed the older one's graphing calculator, so it is safe here at home.

It's these little things that drive me nuts. When you don't have "extra" money, little things like this mean you have to figure out what you can do without in order to replace what was taken. Still, I was thrilled to find out that the calculator was safe at home!
I'm sorry! Maybe it was accidentally taken by someone else. Call the church today and let them know it's missing.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I hope that it was a mistake and someone turns it in. Someone stole my dh's camera at Cub Scout camp, we felt the same way, it was supposed to be a bunch of trustworthy boyscouts! Our car was broken into last week, $200 just to fix the broken window and they stole the kids' DVD player and our Gps. It just really makes you feel disgusted! Good luck to you, I hope your son gets his stuff back

GPS are probably the most commonly stolen electronic devices. I never leave mine in the car. It's a bit of a pain, but I put it in the case and drop it in my purse when I go inside anywhere. At a minimum, you could lock it in the glove compartment out of sight. And make sure you don't have the type of connector that leaves a circle on your windshield or dash. That's a dead giveaway.

My husband had a truck window broken once in a public garage because he had a dollar bill and a few coins in sight. The window was expensive to replace. I don't ever leave cash in the car, even coins.

Sheila

No news yet! My son was a part of the group enacting the Living Stations. They had all left their things downstairs. Sadly, as you've all mentioned, not everyone who enters a church is there for the right reasons!

I left a description with one of the secretaries from the office. No word yet. I keep hoping that someone grabbed it by accident, you never know. We spent an hour searching the entire church, cabinets and all, so I'm pretty sure it didn't just get moved.

I agree with all of you who have had "small" losses like this...they're disheartening!

Did you call the cell phone? Anyways to see if someone used it and the # they called?

Ditto! Can you access your son's account online to see what numbers have been called since the bag was stolen? I don't know if you're reported it to the police but if the phone's been used and the numbers are visible online, they may be able to track it? :confused3

So sorry. Hate it when stuff like that happens. It's a kick to the budget but also so disheartening.

Did you call the cell phone? Anyways to see if someone used it and the # they called?

Yup, you can also call the cell carrier, have them BLOCK the line, AND let them know it was STOLEN, they CAN track the numbers, believe it or not. Wouldn't it be interesting to see if the "person" that took it just called someone right away :rolleyes1 instead of just swiping the "valuable"phone OR the SIM card?? You just never know...

So sorry this happened, and I agree, VERY disheartening...especially at a Church...who had access to that room with the kids belongings? They should know that AND they should be sure that there is something in place for future meetings IMHO..

If your service is like mine, you can go online and check who "you" have called and who has called your phone. Maybe you could take the info to the police and they could use to track the thief down.

A couple weeks ago DS11 bike was stolen from our school. We live in a very small town and nobody locks their bikes, I don't think anyone even locks their cars in town! The Principal checked the schools' one outside camera and nothing...we're hoping it gets returned one day. It was new last year & $140. He's so bummed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter