• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

little things not to miss

minniegidget

Can't wait till I can go back to Disney
I will be going to Disneyland in Sept right after Labor Day. I have been so many times but always in a hurry to ride the big rides. This time I would like right to take my time and see litttle things that you miss becuse you are rushed. So please help me. What are some of the hidden things to watch out of. I have done HM POTC IASWAA so many times and I do not have kids but I do have 2 people in EVC.

The best advice I can give (actually passed down from my mom) is to look UP! Everywhere you go, there is something to see that most people wouldn't normally notice because they are rushing around to get from one ride to the next. Two great examples are in the Emporium and the back of the castle. I've been a million times and I still notice stuff that I didn't before in both parks. I would also suggest riding HM if you can, as they've made some updates recently.

I hope you have a great time on your trip! :earsgirl:

what stuff have you noticed. what is so neat about the Emporium and the back of the castle. The last time we rode HM I saw the hanging person in the room and I showed that and the hidden Mickey(the plates) to my sister. I thought it was pretty cool.

Hey MinnieGidget! I'm going to DLR after Labor Day as well. Maybe we can meet up one day and have lunch. I haven't been in years so somethings will be completely foreign to me. I would suggest just taking is slow and sit down and relax every once in a while.

Some things that I've taken the time to do recently.....

Billy Hill and the Hillbillies
Wander the caves on Tom Sawyer Island
Wander around the back alleys in New Orleans Square

My "little things" must dos are:

Billy Hill and the Hillbillies--I've had their cd for about a month now and haven't stopped listening to it in my car. I love them and have to catch at least one show when I go (which has been every weekend lately). They are inside the Golden Horseshoe.

Laughing Stock Co--My favorites of all the street performers around DLR. They do a somewhat improvised 3 part show with lots of audience participation. The perform in front of the Golden Horseshoe.

Farley--He plays the fiddle in front of Pioneer Mercantile in Frontierland, usually when Woody is out signing autographs. Talented and a very nice man.

DUH (Department of Untapped Hilarity)--They perform in DCA in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot area on a stage in there. It's an improv show along the lines of Whose Line is it Anyway. Very funny.

minniegidget said:
what stuff have you noticed. what is so neat about the Emporium and the back of the castle. The last time we rode HM I saw the hanging person in the room and I showed that and the hidden Mickey(the plates) to my sister. I thought it was pretty cool.

I don't really want to say exactly what you'll see, since it's more fun (to me, anyway), when you discover them and weren't sure what to expect. All I will say is that when you look at the back of the castle, you want to look above the breezeway and you may have to watch for a minute. You might see someone peeking down at you. ;) In the Emporium, it's not really that big of a deal, but I've been with a lot of people who've never noticed all of the displays inside the Emporium because they were too busy shopping. So when you're in there, just take a look up. :goodvibes

I also like the San Francisco style street in DCA, all of the business names are inspired by California cities. And there is a look out at Grizzly River Run that's a great spot to cool down and people watch. (You may get splashed though, so be careful if you stop by :teeth: )

Don't forget to look at the windows up above on Main Street. They are tributes to former cast members(and relatives, too)that helped make Disney what it is today.
Also, check out the window displays in front of the Emporium. Usually, they're tied to the latest Disney film. But, for the 50th, they've brought back a wide variety of ones that they've displayed in other years along with a bit of history about them.
Enjoy the music provided by the various entertainers wandering around the park such as the Disneyland Band and an acapella group in NOS that was really wonderful.

They have a 3 page long list of small stuff to do and see:

http://www.thegoodgirls.com/small_memories.htm

My older son was able to check off over half the things on their list...and it gave us ideas of what to look for. There are details you could easily miss if you weren't tipped off!

This is some good info here. Please kept them coming. I am sure there are lost of peolpe out there that would love to do some of these little things

Look for all 50 of the "hidden" golden mickeys and take your picture with them!

Look for the hidden mickeys on the big rides...like in Indy on one of the skeletons. Don't forget to pull/push anything on Indy that says "don't touch" as it will do something.

Go around toontown and get pics w/the funny stuff like the weights on the ground, the "jail", try the mailboxes.

Talk to the trashcan in Tommorrowland...even dance w/him!

In DCA...read the signs (especially on Hollywood street...funnies), watch the waters dance, find the hidden mickeys in the glass inlays on the concrete.

got2travel said:
Wander around the back alleys in New Orleans Square
also
check out Snow White's Wishing Well and Grotto. It's to the right(facing castle) at the front of the castle. I always try to hand out here for a few minutes when I'm in DL.

Intsmom...Thanks for the link with the great "to do" list. I printed it up and I'm adding it to our DL fun pack...things we've compiled from tour books and the web that we might have missed. We leave for DL on the 9th of July and can't wait for some fun in the :sunny: with ::MickeyMo

Thanks again,
Danny :wave2:

Didn't someone post sometime back that you need to look at the mirror behind the counter at the Mad Hatter in Fantasyland? They didn't say why (which I'm glad!), but I'm going to check it out!

Another couple of things

Take time to look at the mural at the entrance to California Adventure & try to identify all of the California scense -- sea animals, land animals, famous landmarks, famous buildings - it is pretty cool

In the Hollywood Backlot there is a store called Off the Page. If you look at the ceiling, there ar a punch of pages of characters painted. Some of them are actually coming off the page, and some have even escaped & are wreaking havoc around the store. It took my dd & I about 20 minutes to locate them all & find the pictures they were supposed to be in. That was enjoyable.

In the Animation Studio, in the first room, there are a lot of symbols & pics -- find Walt Disney, look at the zodiac w/Disney characters & see what zodiac symbol they represent. Also, take time to draw a character & animate it the old fashioned way.

Take a slow stroll on the Big Thunder Trail and look at all of the scenery. You might even see some fish jumping in the water across from Big Thunder. You can stop off at Big Thunder Ranch or do they call it Circle D these days and check out the wildlife.

I know there has to be out little things not to miss out there. I know the only ride that I have to ride is Space Mountain and now I have to try Thunder Mountain at night in the back.

lntsmom said:
They have a 3 page long list of small stuff to do and see:

http://www.thegoodgirls.com/small_memories.htm

My older son was able to check off over half the things on their list...and it gave us ideas of what to look for. There are details you could easily miss if you weren't tipped off!

I printed the list off to take with us as we leave on Thursday morning 4 am...can't wait to see ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo again!

I know there has to be more. What eles. I really what to show my mom and sister lots of little things they would neve think of doing. i wnat to be a child again this trip.

We just got back from DL....here are a couple of things "to do".

Take a ride on the Mark Twain steamboat....around Tom Sawyer island....when you get on ask if you can drive the boat and they may let you go upstairs and steer the boat, ring the bell, blow the whistle and sign the guest book.

Go to the gallery above POTC ride....tons of poster prints....ask for a tour of Walts apartment.

Have a churro! IMHO the best anywhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter