• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Little Moments.

So true!
It's like 'Welcome Home' is cue for magical fairy dust to fall upon you putting you into the instant mouse-erapy mode. Reminding you ....Yes, mow that you are here, the fun begins!! Corny, but I get that every time!!

Many, many years ago we somehow talked my Grandmother into going with us to WDW. She wouldn't fly so my parents drove down with her and I flew and met them. Just getting her to go was an amazing thing because she really never travelled. The first day we took her to MK and as we got to Main Street she just stopped for a minute then she turned to me and said "now I know why you like it so much". She's been gone for a long time now but I'm glad I was able to share it with her.

This thread is great. It's made me think of a bunch of the little things that we all laugh about as a family and some aha moments.

One was when DS was 5 and had just been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. We spent time wondering what life would be like for him. Well we were at Disney and brought a princess dress for his sister which we pulled out of a bag for her. "Is there anything in that bag for me?" We had brought a Peter Pan costume for him. He was thrilled. That day we watched the parade and Peter Pan saw our son and pointed at himself and pointed at DS and DS walked on air the rest of the trip and somehow from that moment we knew it was going to be okay. That one little gesture from Peter Pan, meant a lot.

Two years ago I had a last minute opportunity to take DD(9) and DS(6) for a four-day whirlwind trip. We stayed at CBR and had to take ridiculous flights because they were the only ones even remotely affordable at the last minute on a school vacation week. We arrived very late on a Sunday night. By the time we got checked in it was 12:30am. The CM told us where to catch the shuttle to our area of the resort but we were so darn tired I figure walking would be faster so we set off with a map, all three of us pulling our rolling luggage. We, of course, decided to cut across lawns as much as possible -- anything to get us there as quickly as we could. My kids never stay up past 9 so they were like walking zombies. As we cut across a lawn area, all of a sudden the sprinklers turned on and we got soaked! We squealed and went running back to the pavement. It was hilarious! :rotfl2: To this day, even with all that we did on that trip, that is my single best memory, and the one that we recall to each other the most. Who would have guessed that a special moment could come at 12:30am while trudging across a parking lot?

One more for you - this was back in - maybe 1979 or 1980 when River Country was still open. My whole extended family was down at WDW for a reunion of sorts. I have this Great Aunt who was probably in her early 70's at the time. We were on this tubing flume ride where everyone rides in their own tube. I was behind my aunt and a lot of the family was up ahead. As they plunged into the pool at the end of the ride they all turned back to see the rest of us come down the final slide. Well, sure enough no tubes were coming through. My aunt had caused a log jam! I was stuck behind her and I just remember the look of bewilderment on her face. Of course, the family waiting down below were in stitches when they realized it was Aunt Mary who caused the log jam. To this day they have not let her live it down. That definitely ranks in my top 3 disney memories. :rotfl:

Thanks for letting me share.

Sorry but this thread is like taking a big Happy Pill!
Thanks for sharing this stuff.
:flower3:

When I was down in February I got tears in my eyes when I thought I saw Wally but then I realized it couldn’t possibly be him because the guy I saw was dressed very conservatively in a sports coat and pants ... no red pants, no sequins, no feather boa ... no halos or devil’s horns sticking up from his head ... no Hello Kitty haute couture ... but for a brief moment I was quite emotional.

(But then maybe the tears were just because my double espresso was really hot.)

My first trip to MK was when I was 42 years old. Despite wanting to go, I was cynical and skeptic that WDW would be a fun place to visit at my age, but my DH talked me into it. We spent a great week riding the rides and I was genuinely impressed. I regret not going sooner.

On the last night, DH took me to Wishes.

When they booted Tinker Bell out of the tower down the zip line, all lit up and waving her wand I was amazed. It was the moment I fell deeply in love with the place.

Suddenly a small girl standing next to me shouted "TINKABEL!" and started to cry tears of joy. Like, really wailing them out as if Santa Claus brought her a pony with the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy riding it. It was pure magic to her.

Which suddenly made me cry too.

Know that I'm bald, goatee, bearish and my face is set to "biker scorn" as default, yet I can be deeply sentimental. I looked down at the girl and she saw I was crying too. We had a moment.

When I was down in February I got tears in my eyes when I thought I saw Wally but then I realized it couldn’t possibly be him because the guy I saw was dressed very conservatively in a sports coat and pants ... no red pants, no sequins, no feather boa ... no halos or devil’s horns sticking up from his head ... no Hello Kitty haute couture ... but for a brief moment I was quite emotional.

(But then maybe the tears were just because my double espresso was really hot.)

Why I oughta! :mad:

So we were staying at DFW - my whole family in one cabin - we had a great time on that trip!

Anyway they love to zip around that resort on those golf carts -
and for some reason this kinda freaked my mom out - she would dash to the side every time and alert us all "Cart! Cart! Get out of the way!" like they were aiming for us! - The rest of us all kind took the carts in stride.

Well one night coming back from the Hoopty-Do we were all walking and laughing and we hear one of the carts coming - mom starts The "Freak Out" and dashes to the side - steps off the road - on what must have been a steep embankment, stumbles and rolls into a gully in the bushes - totally out of sight except for her 2 feet sticking up!

All my sister and I could do was laugh - so hard we had to sit down - finally Helping mom out after a while - She was livid - And the golf cart never even came our way - it went down another street. We still laugh over this story.
Even mom laughs about it ... not then .... but now.

Now Wally....remember that restraining order!!

It was fall 2008 and our first serious trip together. DP and I had been together for 9 years and only did short trips together. WDW was his goal after he got his Kidney transplant and when he got the thumbs up from the Doc, I was on the phone booking and planning. I had been to WDW before, but for day trips only, I have never stayed on property, ate at sit down restaurants, or just took the time to walk around and enjoy the park. He had never been. We booked the Contemporary Resort, booked the Deluxe Dining Plan, bought tickets to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, and scheduled the Spirit of Aloha show for one night. I spent the whole trip watching for his reactions on rides, at shows, and with special moments. Though he smiled, he was not very expressive. Even on our ride home he told me about the wonderful time he had, but I had a feeling that this would be our last trip together for a long time.
I graduated college in May 2009 and took myself back to Florida for a long weekend. DP had to work and he encouraged me to have fun. On my last full day in Orlando, I decided to spend the day at the Magic Kingdom. Out of curiosity, I inquired about Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and quickly called the DP about taking a long weekend in December to celebrate. When I got home, he booked a week in December and ordered another room for our mothers. (As expected his mother refused to go so a friend of my mothers joined us). We arrived in early December and had a great time, but the best was yet to come.
As we were waiting for the late performance of the Hoop-de-doo Musical Revue, we began talking with the DVC Kiosk cast member. We decided to book the tour the next day. He really liked the the idea of DVC, but finances were going to be a little tight if my job didn't extend, so we decided to pass this time. I needed to use the restroom and when I returned, he was waiting for me so we may sign the contract to buy into Kidani Village. He wanted to do this for us, to have a future scheduled for our enjoyment. :love:
Now without a doubt, I have created a monster, but one that I will gladly love for the rest of our lives. We have since returned from our second trip since purchasing DVC and are now looking forward to his 50th birthday bash in 2012.:cool1:

Aww, love ya Wally.

Rosie - don't you remember what that nice policeman said to you? The restraining order is for you dear, you need to stay far, far away from me.

No comprendo...no hablo English....:rolleyes1

Hope we can keep this going -
these were all so great and affirming to read.

Okay, I'll share another one. On our youngest daugther's first trip when she was three years old, she was completely obsessed with Cinderella. The first thing we did was go to the castle for lunch. We walked around the corner and saw Cinderella and yelled at the top of her lungs: "CINDERELLA!". Cinderella turned around and saw Cate and exclaimed "Oh, hi, I wondered when you would be here!" Then they hugged. It was such a fantastic moment. Cate talked about it all through lunch. After lunch when we went back down stairs Cinderella was still there. She was all alone. (I have no idea why) She took both my daughters by the hand and danced around the castle with them. Then she shared her throne with them and they sat and talked. It was amazing that she paid so much attention to our kids. We talk about that moment every time we pass by the castle. It was absolutely magical. Years later Cinderella is still Cate's favorite princess.

what a lovely thread (and to think Wally started it)!

I have a few but will start with this truly magical moment. My mom and dad spend the entire month of January at FW (they have an Airstream). Two years ago my mom was turning 60; her bday is in January.

Tim and I decided we would fly our DD down to surprise Grandma. For Christmas we created a puzzle for her that when revealed indicated she would, on her birthday, be having a special "behind the scenes" experience at the castle. We explained that she would be getting to see how the kitchen worked in the castle and also get a private tour of the castle. Yeah, totally made up yet she believed it!

We told her that she had to be at the castle at 8am sharp and that this is a really big deal so she could not be late. We told her my dad knew all about it and thought it was a great idea. She totally bought it!

We arrived two days before her birthday and with help from my dad were sure not to cross paths. The day of the big reveal arrives and thanks to a very special CM who helped get this whole thing happening, were able to get into the MK before anybody else (that in itself was pretty amazing). We were hiding up at the castle but are able to see people as they walk down Main Street. At 8 am, we see my mom and dad walking up. DD, dressed as Cinderella, sees them too and gets really excited!! As they head up the ramp to the castle, DD runs out screaming "Happy Birthday Grandma!" As she is doing this tears are streaming down her face. When my mom sees her she stops in total shock and just starts crying. We then had a most amazing breakfast at the castle and mom cried for a good part of it!!

It will forever be one of the best and most magical moments of my life!

My favorite little thing would have to be..................the drive down. Just getting to FL, is the most exciting part for me, knowing that I am only a couple hours away from the happiest place in God's Waiting Room. No idea why, but that is my absolutely favorite little thing

My favorite little thing would have to be..................the drive down.

Do they still give ya a free glass of Orange Juice at the first rest stop? I remember when I moved down here, it was like someone said "Welcome home" to me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter