Little Mermaid Ride Damaged in Accident

HydroGuy

A Pirate's Life For Me
This is really going to disrupt Disney's summer plans for DCA. Huge bummer.

This article was posted to the Orange County Register www.ocregister.com this morning:

Under the Sea with Little Mermaid - Broken Pipe Floods Disney's New Ride

Anaheim, California - Disney California Adventure theme park suffered a major setback early Sunday morning when a pipe was damaged after a pump failure. No injuries were reported but the accident allowed water to flood the recently completed Little Mermaid ride.

Officials were still trying to piece together what happened but it appears that a damaging "water hammer" pressure wave occurred when a pump motor lost power. This was during normal circulation from the Paradise Pier lagoon to the Grizzly River Run storage reservoir.

The Little Mermaid ride was built below ground level to allow guests to experience the sensation of going below the water surface. Unfortunately the ride was near the burst pipe and the entire lower section of the ride was flooded under 5 feet of water. There are dozens of animatronic figures in this area which were also submerged.

"Fortunately this happened at night when the ride was not operating", said Disney technician named Eric King. "I and one of my co-workers went down there in a boat to see if the animatronic figures could be salvaged. But they were almost all under water and we could not disconnect any of them."

The ride "Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure" officially opened at Disneyland Resort on June 3, 2011. There is a similar ride under construction at Walt Disney Resort in Orlando, Florida. Disney imagineer Michael Sebastian said that his team is already at work reviewing construction in Florida to see if a similar event could occur there.

According to Mr. Sebastian, imagineers are looking closely at the materials of construction used in the pump casing. The pump was built by Triton pump company. The pump company's public relations director Ariel Singer said, "I am speechless".

April 1, 2012
###​

I sure hope it's fixed fast and before June 2nd. If not, then that's ANOTHER thing I am going to miss. :sad1:

...wait...
let me check the date on my calendar popcorn::

Fortunately, all the figures created for the ride turned out to be Sea Creatures and were able to swim to safety!

:)

I really really hate April Fools Day......

Hydroguy you had me with the title of your thread but after reading a little further in you made me laugh. Kudos on the first of many of these to come.

OMG!!!:lmao: Tottally got me; was trying to find a way to break the news to my daughter who has been waiting to ride next week.

holy shucks I totally put this on my facebook you had me you really really had me

soo.....wait this is an april fool sjoke right?

At first I was like 'gee, what are the odds that the people involved had those names...?'...then I was all....'hey, wait just a minute....!!' :lmao:

holy shucks I totally put this on my facebook you had me you really really had me

soo.....wait this is an april fool sjoke right?
Well, maybe we should call Ariel Singer at the Triton pump company? Wait, she is "speechless" so not sure we could hear her answer. ;)

i was actually excited, thinking the ride would be revamped and really could use that water....:fish:.....popcorn::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter