Little girl gets knocked out during parade

Status
Not open for further replies.
the mother put it on youtube. Why would she put the video online if she didn't want attention?

bingo

How can you be sure the mother wants attention and not that the mother wants to bring attention to a situation?

Why can't it be the same reason I posted this video on the dis when my daughter almost got run over by a lady in an electric wheelchair.

http://ww.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2890936

It shows a danger not all might think exists, even when not intentional and obvious to most.

Alright, so I have read through the thread, probably just going to leave my two cents.

It really is not good that this happened, it’s super unfortunate, and I’m glad that the girl is okay now (if you look on comments on the youtube video, the mom says that she is)

I’ve seen this parade many times, and have danced along with it many times, and the moves are not that high impact, the dancer definitely jumped and spun harder than he should have if there was not that much space around him. In his defense, he definitely didn’t know that the girl was there, and she was wandering around a bunch of space, not necessarily dancing in one spot, so he didn’t really have a chance to see her. In her defense, he should definitely be aware of his surroundings when he’s dancing around children like that.

He stopped to apologise, and then yes, continued to dance, because he is probably not supposed to stop dancing, that’s his job, there are PLENTLY of other “parade control” cast members, and there are even a couple of more “official” looking ones in business clothes, in the hub and just at the end of Main Street while Move It Shake It goes on, he could have easily called one of them over, or the parents could have. If he didn’t, then that is his fault, and for all we know, another CM might have come over to check, the Mom was doing the very “She’s okay, you’re okay” that you do to a child to calm them down, and probably calm herself down, she may have even shooed away another CM by saying that and just made the decision to leave the park.

An incident report *should* have been filed by the parade dancer, or whoever was responsible for those type of things asap, or at least been reported to a manager.

First aid in the park should have been recommended by a cast member, whether that was offered or not, we do not know. It would have been the smart thing to do something before leaving the park, but she may have thought that everything was fine, and then after the black eye surfaced, decided something needed to be said.

In terms of the incident itself, as I said, the performers should always be aware of what is going on around them, but if you have small children, “wander-dancing” through a dance party like that, you should be aware of what’s going on around them as well. There’s a matter of risk of injury every time there’s a performer or a costumed character around, whether they get hit, get stepped on by Goofy, or bonked with Donald’s bill, there’s the risk of collision because of the limited visibility. He definitely should have called over another cast member before continuing to dance, and for all we know, maybe he did, maybe he didn't, but they are probably told to just keep dancing, there are other cm's who are trained to deal with stuff like that.

Long story short I’m just REALLY hoping that this isn’t the end of Move It Shake, and I'm glad the girl is now okay.

Because most businesses have insurance policies that cover guests claims for injuries. In those instances, alot of companies want to have incident reports if there is property damage or an injury.

Both parties here (the CM and the Mom) should have wanted something in writing documenting the incident. At least the mom has a video, but she really should have gotten more.

As I said, you don't call for a doctor (or your insurance company) every time a child falls down. If someone swooped out every time a child fell or cried, there would be a lot of swooping going on. If something was truly wrong, the parent should have made it known then and there.

But I would like to know more--what did the mom do right then and there? Did she kiss it better and keep going, or did she take her daughter to first aid??

The mother put it on youtube. Why would she put the video online if she didn't want attention?

Yeah, that is definitely weird to me. I would never put a video of my child in a circumstance like this on You Tube.

I feel bad for the child, that must have been awful! And as a mom I would have freaked out (from fear), but I would have understood that it was completely an accident. I don't know enough information here about how it was handled after the fact, but I would hope the mom took the child to first aid to get checked and to get away from the commotion. And I don't like that the news tries to make a story more than what it really was :sad2:

The mother put it on youtube. Why would she put the video online if she didn't want attention?
Maybe because she was getting nowhere with Disney after she realized that her DD was indeed hurt? It says on the video that they went home that day so she wasn't at WDW the next day when the black eye started to develop.

In a perfect world one of the crowd control CMs should have noticed the accident, the dancer should have reported it and the mom should have gone to Guest Services and/or First Aid that day. It appears that none of the happened, but I don't see how Disney's liability is any less because it wasn't reported right away. I know that I would be frustrated if my kid was clocked like that and then was stonewalled when I brought it to Disney's attention ... although I admit it would take more than one ignored email for me to put the video on Youtube!

Both parties here (the CM and the Mom) should have wanted something in writing documenting the incident. At least the mom has a video, but she really should have gotten more.

I would dare to say there was no way the CM could've known how hard the girl was knocked down. Especially since she was so little and it appears his elbow got hr right in the face maybe? Im sure the performing CMs are trained to keep going and not make a scene. There are parade CM 'handlers' that mybe could've stepped in to do something.

But the tape clearly shows the mom scopped up the girl and said she's 'ok'. So I'm not really sure what the CM could've wanted 'in writing'?

I don't think it was right of her to post a video on YouTube.

Maybe it isn't what you would have done, but how is it wrong?

I don't think it was right of her to lie in the title of said video.
Yeah, she probably could have titled to video better

I don't think it was right of her to give any comments to the media.
As long as her comments are truthful, why not?

I don't think it was right to repeatedly tell the people the child was okay without thoroughly checking her out.
She probably thought the kid was alright, but I agree, she should have been more diligent, as should Disney. The difference is, one side has had extensive training in handling these types of guest occurrences and one side hasn't.

I'd expect the CM to take the lead here, even if the guest insisted and denied any additional assistance, that should have been documented. That alone would have saved Disney here.

We're here now and my son was hurt two days ago when he was improperly restrained on a ride. I knew it the second I saw him, watching from the ground. It was so scary. He did not need first aid but he did get hit several times in the face, was very scared and was holding on for dear life. We made an official report and were told point blank that what happened to him was not ok. And guess what? That's it. I won't be posting any videos. I won't be making a lawsuit. I even turned down the fast passes they offered and had to tell them several times that I don't want anything other than the cm who messed up to be retrained so that everyone is safe. It's a bummer the little girl got a black eye and knocked down but a lawsuit or anything else for that matter is blowing things way out of proportion..

The only person responsible for the accident (the dancer) apologized and the child is fine. That should be the end of it, accidents happen, move on. In my family, we'd probably laugh it off & thought of the black eye as the only free souviner you'll ever get from Disney.;)

Maybe it isn't what you would have done, but how is it wrong?

Yeah, she probably could have titled to video better

As long as her comments are truthful, why not?

She probably thought the kid was alright, but I agree, she should have been more diligent, as should Disney. The difference is, one side has had extensive training in handling these types of guest occurrences and one side hasn't.

I'd expect the CM to take the lead here, even if the guest insisted and denied any additional assistance, that should have been documented. That alone would have saved Disney here.

I think it is wrong to exploit a child on the internet. That doesn't mean it is wrong to anyone else, just wrong to me, which is why I said "I think". As for her being truthful, since the caption of the video she HERSELF posted is a lie, she has lost some credibility already. As for the CM, the girl fell behind his sight line, all he really had to go on was that the mother said the girl was okay. If she didn't make an issue in that moment, how would the CM know anything more was necessary?

As I said, you don't call for a doctor (or your insurance company) every time a child falls down. If someone swooped out every time a child fell or cried, there would be a lot of swooping going on. If something was truly wrong, the parent should have made it known then and there.

But I would like to know more--what did the mom do right then and there? Did she kiss it better and keep going, or did she take her daughter to first aid??

When your child is hit in the face and knocked to the ground by an employee of an establishment you are patroning, you get an incident report. This is basic, BASIC operating procedure. It's protection for the guest and the business.

You can't assume the parent would have made her concerns known there if there were no concerns....thats why you get the incident report. Post concussion syndrome, persistant headaches, dizziness, issues with vision or hearing, etc. are all symptoms that occur well after the incident and may not present themselves at the time.

No, you don't rush to the hospital every time they fall, but any time there is a chance that someone else is liable for costs/medical expenses, yeah...you should have that documented for your protection.

Peope are just too sue happy these days. My daughter would be laughing and would want us to take a picture. Black eye from Disney she would say "HOW COOL"

Here is the full video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUY5DurN12s

She is just warning people not to let their kids dance in the parade. The news television stations jumped all over her in the comments trying to make a story. She didn't bring it to the news and no where does it say she is going to sue.

She set up a YouTube account just to post this video (it's the only activity on her account), she wanted attention and to sensationalize this. A basic first step in suing a company like Disney. Because now they will have to give her money to get it out of the news.

I think it is wrong to exploit a child on the internet.

But it's okay to blast their pictures on a public message board...aka, the internet.

Got it.

:thumbsup2

People put their vacation videos all the time on the internet, but you think something is wrong with that if the video records an incident regarding injury...yeah, sorry....I just don't agree.

You want to keep your kids off the internet, fine....I see no issues with that. But deciding when it is and isn't okay to put them on the internet and criticizing others for doing it at times you disagree with is judgmental.

If she didn't make an issue in that moment, how would the CM know anything more was necessary?

He didn't have to know. He didn't have to assume.

What should have happened (and maybe it did, we don't know) is the situation should have been assessed by someone in a supervisory role and the incident should have been documented with instructions on what to do if something else arose.

We're here now and my son was hurt two days ago when he was improperly restrained on a ride. I knew it the second I saw him, watching from the ground. It was so scary. He did not need first aid but he did get hit several times in the face, was very scared and was holding on for dear life. We made an official report and were told point blank that what happened to him was not ok. And guess what? That's it. I won't be posting any videos. I won't be making a lawsuit. I even turned down the fast passes they offered and had to tell them several times that I don't want anything other than the cm who messed up to be retrained so that everyone is safe. It's a bummer the little girl got a black eye and knocked down but a lawsuit or anything else for that matter is blowing things way out of proportion..

Thats the MAJOR difference. An incident report removes any reason for this to be news.

Had she posted the video, then been contacted by the news channel and told them the daughter was okay, but has a black eye. They completed an official report with Disney and they responded in a satisfactory manner, this would be a non issue.

The issue is that the situation was not properly handled at the time of the incident, by anyone.

And where this stuff about a lawsuit come about?

It's amazing how so many people are criticizing this lady for "blowing things out of proportion" when thats EXACTLY what they are doing here.

Wow that is frightning! Glad to hear your DS is okay. May I ask what ride it was?

Maybe because she was getting nowhere with Disney after she realized that her DD was indeed hurt? It says on the video that they went home that day so she wasn't at WDW the next day when the black eye started to develop.

In a perfect world one of the crowd control CMs should have noticed the accident, the dancer should have reported it and the mom should have gone to Guest Services and/or First Aid that day. It appears that none of the happened, but I don't see how Disney's liability is any less because it wasn't reported right away. I know that I would be frustrated if my kid was clocked like that and then was stonewalled when I brought it to Disney's attention ... although I admit it would take more than one ignored email for me to put the video on Youtube!

Her daughter had a black eye. The dancer CM apologized. That should be the end of it.

Putting the video on youtube and making the incident public screams "look at me, I want something from Disney!". Not to mention, humiliating her poor child by putting the video online.

the mom should enter the video on Americas Funniest Home Videos. They just aired the $100k show from Disney. Maybe this will make it next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter