Literally.

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by ILoveToRun, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Imzadi

Imzadi Saved by an angel in a trenchcoat

Hmm, :scratchin I don't say literally much. Actually, I say "actually" a lot. Literally, I do. :teeth:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - b

Mm, you could probably leave out "literally" and end up with a more powerful, effective statement ;),

4. kaytieeldr

Absolutely. I absolutely understand what you're absolutely saying here. Absolutely.

Me? I don't overuse any words, as far as I know.

:rotfl:

5. Imzadi

Imzadi Saved by an angel in a trenchcoat

Well. . . umm, actually. . .

:teeth: ;)

6. kaytieeldr

Actually, Imzadi, if you actually have something to actually say to me, you should absolutely just actually literally come out and actually say it. Absolutely.

:lmao:

7. Jennasis

Jennasis DIS life goes on

My cousin and I have a game where we hit an invisible buzzer every time my sister says the word "literally" which is very, very often. If she gives us the oh-so-awesome "ALMOST LITERALLY" it's worth double points.

8. lucas

lucas °o°

Totally. :hippie:

9. chipsgirl1030

chipsgirl1030 Mouseketeer

I once worked with a woman who used the word literally all the time. The only problem was she pronounced it little- ly. I thought I was the only one who noticed until another coworker pointed it out.

10. kimmar067

kimmar067 TAGS?? It's all about the 'likes' now!

....:scratchin.....hmmmm....well, she literally COULD, if she were a hard-boiled egg....

11. mrsklamc

mrsklamc <font color=blue>I apologize in advance, but what

"You keep on saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

12. eliza61

eliza61 http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/images

why? why does it bother you? it's an internet forum, not a thesis paper or a resumer

13. kimmar067

[​IMG]

14. kimmar067

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to literally die."

15. Rylee

Rylee DIS Veteran

I bet you are absolutely related to the Anthony's.

16. CajunMomof3

CajunMomof3 DIS Veteran

pixiedust: This literally made me laugh out loud!

17. mrsklamc

Misuse of literally doesn't really bother me so much as it just makes me roll my eyes or shake my head. 'Epic' has been bothering me lately though.

18. StephyDee

StephyDee One day the tag fairy will pity me enough to give

:rotfl:

This is such an awesome thread. Doesn't hurt that the "Princess Bride" reference connects with the shirt I'm wearing. It's actually a "PB" shirt, believe it or not. :thumbsup2

As for using the word 'literally', I hear it used in the wrong context so often at work, that I have to keep reminding myself how to correctly use it. Otherwise I'd be just as bad as them. :rotfl2:

19. mrsklamc

Is it the nametag shirt? That is DH's second most commented shirt.

20. kaytieeldr

Despite referencing Disney, I'm 100% certain the OP was posting a general vent at everyone who misuses the word - not just DIS posters.

But since you brought up the "this is just a message board" argument... People who use that word wrong informally use it wrong formally, too. People don't just change their understanding and usage of a particular word based on the seriousness of the discussion or document.

21. Rylee

Rylee DIS Veteran

The Word We Love To Hate

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/the_good_word/2005/11/the_word_we_love_to_hate.html

As is often the case, though, such "abuses" have a long and esteemed history in English. The ground was not especially sticky in Little Women when Louisa May Alcott wrote that "the land literally flowed with milk and honey,"nor was Tom Sawyer turning somersaults on piles of money when Twain described him as "literally rolling in wealth," nor was Jay Gatsby shining when Fitzgerald wrote that "he literally glowed," nor were Bach and Beethoven squeezed into a fedora when Joyce wrote in Ulysses that a Mozart piece was "the acme of first class music as such, literally knocking everything else into a cocked hat." Such examples are easily come by, even in the works of the authors we are often told to emulate.

Eventually, though, literally began to be used to intensify statements that were themselves figurative or metaphorical. The earliest examples I know of are from the late 18th century, and though there are examples throughout the 19th century—often in prominent works; to my earlier examples could be added choice quotations from James Fenimore Cooper, Thackeray, Dickens, and Thoreau, among many others—no one seems to have objected to the usage until the early 20th century.