Lite dinner and drinks at monorail resort before MVMCP?

christophfam

DIS Veteran
Would love to get some appetizers (or lite dinner) and a drink before heading into the party at 4pm. I’m struggling to find something that is open around 2:30pm. Any ideas? I’d like to keep walking to a minimum and save my feet for the party. I haven’t been to Disney in years (Uni APH here) but thought it would be fun to pop in for a party one night during my Universal trip. Would be much more interested in a lounge/bar than QS.

I'd suggest Jungle Navigation Skipper's Canteen right in MK (try for as close to 4pm as you can to reduce missed party time). They have great apps and drinks. It is the only TS that we visit every time. Great atmosphere, good food and funny servers.

Steakhouse 71 Lounge at the Contemporary opens at noon. Also Geyser Point at WL (short boat ride away) is very good and the view is delightful. It's pretty easy to get into in the afternoon, though it gets busy at night. It is outdoors, though under cover and they have heaters and huge fireplace.

How will you be getting to the resort? You won’t be allowed to park at a monorail resort for more than 3 hours with a dinner reservation, especially on a party night. The guards know people try to do this to avoid paying for parking. You could valet park, then you’ll be fine. Best thing to do is to park at the TTC and take the monorail to a resort. Really, the only table service you would be able to get a reservation for is Steakhouse 71, most of the others are closed for lunch and don’t open until around 5pm.

What about Geyser point at the Wilderness Lodge? You could take the boat from magic kingdom there. We have ate there before and I really enjoyed the food.
You can’t leave the car there if they are not WL guests, unless they valet park. Three hour limit, and on party nights, they do enforce it. I don’t believe they are staying on Disney property, I think Universal.

I’ll be parking the car at TTC. Honestly, it’s been so long since I’ve been to Disney that I’m looking forward to the tram ride and then the monorail. 😂

I’ll checkout the menus. I think Geyser Point is more my vibe and I’ve always loved WL but I’m not sure I’ll have time for it. How long is it round trip from MK (if I take the monorail to MK then boat to WL or is there another way via TTC)? Trader Sam’s would be perfect as well if they opened a bit earlier. Might have to go with Steakhouse71 even though I’ve never been crazy about the Contemporary. 😑

Last edited:
You can’t leave the car there if they are not WL guests, unless they valet park. Three hour limit, and on party nights, they do enforce it. I don’t believe they are staying on Disney property, I think Universal.
Which is why I said to take the boat from Magic Kingdom

I’ll checkout the menus. I think Geyser Point is more my vibe and I’ve always loved WL but I’m not sure I’ll have time for it. How long is it round trip from MK (if I take the monorail to MK then boat to WL or is there another way via TTC)? Trader Sam’s would be perfect as well if they opened a bit earlier. Might have to go with Steakhouse71 even though I’ve never been crazy about the Contemporary. 😑
It’s not that long. There’s also a bus that sometimes is quicker. It’s not table service, so You don’t have to set aside an extended period of time for the meal

We love the sandwiches at the Contemporary’s quick service - so good! They are a must for us every trip. There’s a small bar by it and sometimes it’s open and sometimes it isn’t. This is all located by Chef Mickey’s. You can do a mobile order to save on time.

I'd do the lounge at Steakhouse 71.

Very easy to get to and from MK. Should be room at the bar at 2:30. Good burger & apps.

We ate there in the afternoon on Thanksgiving and then went to the Fireworks Dessert party that evening.

I know you said you prefer a bar/lounge, but, honestly, the easiest thing to do would be to park at TTC and get QS at Capt. Cook's at Poly - you could even take your food up to the Tambu Lounge area and eat there to get the lounge vibe (and get some drinks if you'd like). There is also Gasparilla's at GF, but there is construction in the lobby so not the nicest atmosphere currently, IMHO.

I think your only other options are the lounge at Steakhouse 71, which is good, but it's kind of dark in there and Geyser Point as PP suggested, but it's going to take you a while to get over there.

I know you said you prefer a bar/lounge, but, honestly, the easiest thing to do would be to park at TTC and get QS at Capt. Cook's at Poly - you could even take your food up to the Tambu Lounge area and eat there to get the lounge vibe (and get some drinks if you'd like). There is also Gasparilla's at GF, but there is construction in the lobby so not the nicest atmosphere currently, IMHO.
This sounds like a good option! I do like the Poly. I had looked at it previously but Tambu Lounge doesn’t serve appetizers until 4pm. If they serve drinks all afternoon, I would bring QS up. I haven’t been to Disney since mobile order. Would it be advisable to MO on the way over from TTC?

Looks like this ^ or Steakhouse71 lounge are going to be the best alternatives. I definitely want to eat before 4pm so I don’t miss any ride time.

Thanks everyone! If anyone needs any Universal advice, Pm me 😂. I switched over to Universal when my kids were teens (10-15 years ago) and haven’t looked back. Guess now that grandkids are in my not too distant future, I’m feeling a bit nostalgic. 🥰

Have you considered eating at MK before the party? Because party guests can enter at 4pm, we have done early dinner at Crystal palace. Saves all parking issues, and you still get the full party experience after having a great dinner.

There is also Gasparilla's at GF, but there is construction in the lobby so not the nicest atmosphere currently, IMHO.

Actually, the lobby construction won't be an issue at all.

The entrance to Gaspy's is on the outside of the GF's main building. You needn't go into the GF lobby at all, just to the right at the main entrance and around that side of the building until you see a terrace with umbrella tables and chairs. Gaspy's entrance will be obvious once you get closer.

While Gaspy's is very good in its own way, I'd give the edge to WL's Geyser Point myself. It's a bit of a walk from the boat dock but has cushy lounge chairs to drop into until your "potent potable" comes to you. There's just something about sitting there catching the breeze from Bay Lake while munching yummy stuff. So casual and relaxing.

Though the GF is somewhat a mess currently with the lobby construction, most of the ugly is on the ground floor.

Come from the 2nd floor monorail station, and you can stroll along the gallery to the opposite end for Enchanted Rose lounge which is gorgeous. Some creative cocktails and yumlicious snacks. A lovely place to relax that gives the advantage of getting easily back onto the monorail with MK the next stop, a mere 10-minute ride or so.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter