list of questions i should be asking

ado121

DIS Veteran
hi!

i know i recently saw on here a list a list of questions that one should ask before renting a private home. i cant find it. can anyone direct me? or do you have one you have made yourself?

I'm not sure if this is the list you were referring to
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3177120

some questions we asked
Is pool heat included and if not, what are the fees?
Also, do you have a BBQ grill?
What kind of mattresses are on the beds? Are they pillow top? Sorry to sound picky, but with a 12 night stay and busy days at Disney, a good nights sleep on a comfortable bed is important.
Finally, is the thermostat adjustable? I know some owners set controls on it like the air can't be turned below 75 degrees etc.

questions posted by TyWebb
Are you the actual owner of this property? I prefer to use owner/managed properties)
Who is your local management company?
How recent are the photos listed on VRBO?
Have there been any significant upgrades or changes since these pictures or any planned before our stay?
Are the pool and hot tub are regularly serviced and in good working order?
Pool heat is available if needed? Cost for heat?
Does the unit have a spa or a heated hot tub?
A gas grill is available at no extra charge and would be ready for use on arrival?
Internet service is available in the home and included in the price?
Cable/Satellite tv is throughout the house?
Does the kitchen have any items that get left from guest to guest like salt, pepper, seasonings, coffee filters, etc?
Besides VRBO, is this villa listed on any other websites?
Is there anything special that sets your property apart from others in the area? (Recent upgrades, better options in the home, new items, better management company)

and on old list saved on my computer. Unfortunately I don't know who originally posted this
1. How long ago the pictures were taken
2. When was the last time the house was given a "deep" cleaning
What is the procedure for picking up a key?
If there’s a problem, is there someone local to contact?

1) Set up a new email address – one of the freebies. When you send out a mass general inquiry through some of the websites, your “home” email is going to be inundated with replies. Having one addy for trip planning just makes things more organized.

2) Determine your vacation “wants” versus “needs”.
Does your family of 4 want or need the 7 bedroom house?
Do you “just need a place to sleep”?
Or are you looking for an amenity laden property?
Does every bedroom have to have a bathroom? A group traveling with teenagers may “need” a property with a games room. Private pool? Splash pool? Or community pool? Spa, hot tub or Jacuzzi? Need to bake in the sun by the pool? Need a shaded area on the lanai? Want free long distance calls? USKing beds, USqueen beds? Twins? Internet? Gas bbq? TVs in all the bedrooms? Golfers may need to be close to a course? Shoppers close to shopping? It may surprise you to realize that your group has more needs than you thought to have a terrific vacation!

3) Determine your budget. This is going to help separate out your wants and needs fast!

4) Have a look around. Any of the search engines will pull up THOUSANDS of sites when you type in just about anything regarding vacation property rentals. Have a look at the OH&A board sponsor.

5) Now, go back to your wants, needs and budget.
Are there any sites in the looking around that look like it might work?
Go directly to Step #6.
Not sure?
Send out a “General Inquiry”. Most of the sites will have these. What you will have to do to get a NO OBLIGATION response is provide some basic information. How many bedrooms do you need? How many people are traveling? And what are your dates? Are the dates flexible? Provide that email addy you set up in Step #1, and sit back. You’ll probably have your first responses in less than an hour. Wait a day or two, and you’ll be glad you set up the alternate email address.

6) Found a few properties that are interesting to you?

7) Send an email to the owners of your short list.

8) Now here’s where things can really break down fast.
Ask every question you can think of, because now is the time to get all the tough stuff out of the way.
Great vacations are all about feelings and emotions. Renting a property is all about business.
Get the business out of the way, and then you can concentrate on having a great vacation!

**SAMPLE* email questions, YMMV:*
Do you personally own the property?
Is there, or has there ever been, a lien placed against the property?
Is the property currently in distress, short sale, for sale?
Is the property fully and legally licensed and insured for short term rental?
Do you have testimonials from other guests?
How long have you been with your Management Company?
Are you happy with their services?
Are your previous guests happy with their services?
How do you handle complaints?
How does your management company handle complaints?
If the property is suddenly not available for my rental period, how will I be compensated?
How is your home heated or cooled?
Can I adjust the temperature myself?
Is the property regularly maintained?
Pest control?
Heavy cleaning?
Inventory checks?
How is the pool (community or private) heated?
Is the community pool heated? (Other than the cleanliness of the property, pool heat is the biggest complaint of renters and owners alike. Which means it will be addressed by itself below)

9) Pool Heat.
Are you dreaming of returning from the parks, and slipping into a lovely, warm pool?
Then you NEED to ask the following:
How is the pool heated? Gas, electric, solar?
Gas heat will give you the most consistent temperature, usually 80-84*. Electric will do a great job too, as long as the air temperature outside stays above 50* or so, but as the air temps fluctuate, so may your pool temps. Air temps fall below that 50*, your pool heater shuts off. And the pool gets colder quick.
Solar is fairly self explanatory, and will usually be “free of charge” or considerably cheaper than other rentals you’ve seen. Remember, though, your pool may not be toasty warm.
Some homes will have a combination of any of the above methods of pool heating.
Pool heat in the summer months is a different story, and may not be needed at all.
October to May is generally the time frame for recommended pool heating.

Pool covers.
Is there one? If there is, use it. Your pool will stay warmer.

10) OUTDOOR Spas, hot tubs, spa tubs, jacuzzis, stand alone hot tubs, paddling pools, children’s wading pools, bubbling spas, bubble tubs...these things have all sorts of names.
For some, these are a definite need. Not so much for others. And here is one area that can make a definite impact on your budget.
Vacation properties with this amenity are traditionally a little more expensive. Again, if you want one of these, ask specific questions.
What looks like a spa attached to the pool could just be a little pool – no warmer than the big pool, and with 2 circulating jets.
Or, the spa attached to the end of a pool could be a full on 104*, with massive amounts of massage jets.
If you want this spa to be hotter than the pool, ask if it gets hotter than the pool.
And how does it get hotter than the pool?
IS there a separate heating control?
And again, gas, electric or solar?
Do you want the jets? Ask if there are massage or circulating jets.

11) INDOOR spa, hot tub or jacuzzis.
Want one of these in your master suite?
Some homes advertise a jacuzzi tub, and guess what?
No bubbles.
Sure it’s a “Jacuzzi “tub, made by the nice people at the company called Jacuzzi, but doesn’t have the features of what may be assumed all Jacuzzi brand tubs have...it could just be a really great tub for soaking, and complete with Jacuzzi branding, just no bubble abilities.
Want the bubbles, or the soaking version? Ask.

12) Splash Pools.
Some townhome properties will have these private little pools, generally 5’ deep, located in the patio off the living area.
Some have the massage jets, some don’t.
They’re a terrific alternative to having to schlep the kids to the community pool when the adults just want to relax at the townhome.
And they’re great for the adults to float around in and relax too.
They’re not anywhere as large a pool with a detached, single family property, but definitely a great amenity.
Again, ask for specifics from the owner.
Is there room for chairs around the pool is a great question for parents.
Even though the pools are little, supervision is always a must.

13) Ground floor, elevator or stair building? Assigned parking?

14) Gated community? Guard house community?

15) Terms and Conditions.
Most homeowners will provide a copy of this on their site, or forward one to you with your inquiry email.
It’s going to have, or should have, answers to all the questions about how to pay, deposits, cleaning fees, pool heat, cancellation penalties, changes..all those goodies.
If something isn’t clear, ask.

16) Daily living questions...this is where you can ask specifics about how this property will fit your life while on vacation.
Like to throw supper in a crock pot? Ask if there is one.
BBQ available with the property? Gas or charcoal?
Or does the MC rent them to you at additional charge?
TV/gaming systems? Cable? WiFi? Long distance, local, international calls? Baby equipment? Fishing equipment? Bikes?
When were the mattresses last replaced?
Are the blankets washed?
Pool towels? Face cloths? Coffee maker? Filters? Blender? Tea pot? Baking utensils?
Whatever you use everyday....ask about it now.

If you asked for info. as you have set out above, how much $ are you

expecting to pay for a 4 bed villa ( sleeps 8 to 10 ) per night.

And would that be more expensive than asking for a weekly rate .?

I'm not sure if this is the list you were referring to
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3177120

some questions we asked
Is pool heat included and if not, what are the fees?
Also, do you have a BBQ grill?
What kind of mattresses are on the beds? Are they pillow top? Sorry to sound picky, but with a 12 night stay and busy days at Disney, a good nights sleep on a comfortable bed is important.
Finally, is the thermostat adjustable? I know some owners set controls on it like the air can't be turned below 75 degrees etc.

questions posted by TyWebb
Are you the actual owner of this property? I prefer to use owner/managed properties)
Who is your local management company?
How recent are the photos listed on VRBO?
Have there been any significant upgrades or changes since these pictures or any planned before our stay?
Are the pool and hot tub are regularly serviced and in good working order?
Pool heat is available if needed? Cost for heat?
Does the unit have a spa or a heated hot tub?
A gas grill is available at no extra charge and would be ready for use on arrival?
Internet service is available in the home and included in the price?
Cable/Satellite tv is throughout the house?
Does the kitchen have any items that get left from guest to guest like salt, pepper, seasonings, coffee filters, etc?
Besides VRBO, is this villa listed on any other websites?
Is there anything special that sets your property apart from others in the area? (Recent upgrades, better options in the home, new items, better management company)

and on old list saved on my computer. Unfortunately I don't know who originally posted this
1. How long ago the pictures were taken
2. When was the last time the house was given a "deep" cleaning
What is the procedure for picking up a key?
If there’s a problem, is there someone local to contact?

1) Set up a new email address – one of the freebies. When you send out a mass general inquiry through some of the websites, your “home” email is going to be inundated with replies. Having one addy for trip planning just makes things more organized.

2) Determine your vacation “wants” versus “needs”.
Does your family of 4 want or need the 7 bedroom house?
Do you “just need a place to sleep”?
Or are you looking for an amenity laden property?
Does every bedroom have to have a bathroom? A group traveling with teenagers may “need” a property with a games room. Private pool? Splash pool? Or community pool? Spa, hot tub or Jacuzzi? Need to bake in the sun by the pool? Need a shaded area on the lanai? Want free long distance calls? USKing beds, USqueen beds? Twins? Internet? Gas bbq? TVs in all the bedrooms? Golfers may need to be close to a course? Shoppers close to shopping? It may surprise you to realize that your group has more needs than you thought to have a terrific vacation!

3) Determine your budget. This is going to help separate out your wants and needs fast!

4) Have a look around. Any of the search engines will pull up THOUSANDS of sites when you type in just about anything regarding vacation property rentals. Have a look at the OH&A board sponsor.

5) Now, go back to your wants, needs and budget.
Are there any sites in the looking around that look like it might work?
Go directly to Step #6.
Not sure?
Send out a “General Inquiry”. Most of the sites will have these. What you will have to do to get a NO OBLIGATION response is provide some basic information. How many bedrooms do you need? How many people are traveling? And what are your dates? Are the dates flexible? Provide that email addy you set up in Step #1, and sit back. You’ll probably have your first responses in less than an hour. Wait a day or two, and you’ll be glad you set up the alternate email address.

6) Found a few properties that are interesting to you?

7) Send an email to the owners of your short list.

8) Now here’s where things can really break down fast.
Ask every question you can think of, because now is the time to get all the tough stuff out of the way.
Great vacations are all about feelings and emotions. Renting a property is all about business.
Get the business out of the way, and then you can concentrate on having a great vacation!

**SAMPLE* email questions, YMMV:*
Do you personally own the property?
Is there, or has there ever been, a lien placed against the property?
Is the property currently in distress, short sale, for sale?
Is the property fully and legally licensed and insured for short term rental?
Do you have testimonials from other guests?
How long have you been with your Management Company?
Are you happy with their services?
Are your previous guests happy with their services?
How do you handle complaints?
How does your management company handle complaints?
If the property is suddenly not available for my rental period, how will I be compensated?
How is your home heated or cooled?
Can I adjust the temperature myself?
Is the property regularly maintained?
Pest control?
Heavy cleaning?
Inventory checks?
How is the pool (community or private) heated?
Is the community pool heated? (Other than the cleanliness of the property, pool heat is the biggest complaint of renters and owners alike. Which means it will be addressed by itself below)

9) Pool Heat.
Are you dreaming of returning from the parks, and slipping into a lovely, warm pool?
Then you NEED to ask the following:
How is the pool heated? Gas, electric, solar?
Gas heat will give you the most consistent temperature, usually 80-84*. Electric will do a great job too, as long as the air temperature outside stays above 50* or so, but as the air temps fluctuate, so may your pool temps. Air temps fall below that 50*, your pool heater shuts off. And the pool gets colder quick.
Solar is fairly self explanatory, and will usually be “free of charge” or considerably cheaper than other rentals you’ve seen. Remember, though, your pool may not be toasty warm.
Some homes will have a combination of any of the above methods of pool heating.
Pool heat in the summer months is a different story, and may not be needed at all.
October to May is generally the time frame for recommended pool heating.

Pool covers.
Is there one? If there is, use it. Your pool will stay warmer.

10) OUTDOOR Spas, hot tubs, spa tubs, jacuzzis, stand alone hot tubs, paddling pools, children’s wading pools, bubbling spas, bubble tubs...these things have all sorts of names.
For some, these are a definite need. Not so much for others. And here is one area that can make a definite impact on your budget.
Vacation properties with this amenity are traditionally a little more expensive. Again, if you want one of these, ask specific questions.
What looks like a spa attached to the pool could just be a little pool – no warmer than the big pool, and with 2 circulating jets.
Or, the spa attached to the end of a pool could be a full on 104*, with massive amounts of massage jets.
If you want this spa to be hotter than the pool, ask if it gets hotter than the pool.
And how does it get hotter than the pool?
IS there a separate heating control?
And again, gas, electric or solar?
Do you want the jets? Ask if there are massage or circulating jets.

11) INDOOR spa, hot tub or jacuzzis.
Want one of these in your master suite?
Some homes advertise a jacuzzi tub, and guess what?
No bubbles.
Sure it’s a “Jacuzzi “tub, made by the nice people at the company called Jacuzzi, but doesn’t have the features of what may be assumed all Jacuzzi brand tubs have...it could just be a really great tub for soaking, and complete with Jacuzzi branding, just no bubble abilities.
Want the bubbles, or the soaking version? Ask.

12) Splash Pools.
Some townhome properties will have these private little pools, generally 5’ deep, located in the patio off the living area.
Some have the massage jets, some don’t.
They’re a terrific alternative to having to schlep the kids to the community pool when the adults just want to relax at the townhome.
And they’re great for the adults to float around in and relax too.
They’re not anywhere as large a pool with a detached, single family property, but definitely a great amenity.
Again, ask for specifics from the owner.
Is there room for chairs around the pool is a great question for parents.
Even though the pools are little, supervision is always a must.

13) Ground floor, elevator or stair building? Assigned parking?

14) Gated community? Guard house community?

15) Terms and Conditions.
Most homeowners will provide a copy of this on their site, or forward one to you with your inquiry email.
It’s going to have, or should have, answers to all the questions about how to pay, deposits, cleaning fees, pool heat, cancellation penalties, changes..all those goodies.
If something isn’t clear, ask.

16) Daily living questions...this is where you can ask specifics about how this property will fit your life while on vacation.
Like to throw supper in a crock pot? Ask if there is one.
BBQ available with the property? Gas or charcoal?
Or does the MC rent them to you at additional charge?
TV/gaming systems? Cable? WiFi? Long distance, local, international calls? Baby equipment? Fishing equipment? Bikes?
When were the mattresses last replaced?
Are the blankets washed?
Pool towels? Face cloths? Coffee maker? Filters? Blender? Tea pot? Baking utensils?
Whatever you use everyday....ask about it now.

TBH most of these questions can be answered by reading the listing information. Any decent management company is theoretically supposed to maintain the pool, hot tub, spa, make sure pests are controlled, perform a regular "deep clean", inventory checks, etc. Often it is the renters comments after staying there that let the owner know that something is missing, so I always send a friendly email saying "Porch light bulb was burnt out, apparently management didn't catch it. Also non stick skillet needs replacing. Thanks for a wonderful trip!"

Because really, most owners cannot check their unit more than twice a year unless they live in the area. I have had several owners thank me profusely when I commented that a shower had not been properly cleaned or there were ants in the kitchen or something similar. How on earth would an owner know that when its the management company's job to take care of it?

I didn't mean to go off on a tangent there but it is important to realize that the renter can be the only way an owner knows when the home isn't being maintained. I guarantee if you let the owner know they will be very grateful and it is much nicer than leaving a poor review. Realistically the management company should be getting the poor review.

TBH most of these questions can be answered by reading the listing information. Any decent management company is theoretically supposed to maintain the pool, hot tub, spa, make sure pests are controlled, perform a regular "deep clean", inventory checks, etc. Often it is the renters comments after staying there that let the owner know that something is missing, so I always send a friendly email saying "Porch light bulb was burnt out, apparently management didn't catch it. Also non stick skillet needs replacing. Thanks for a wonderful trip!"

Because really, most owners cannot check their unit more than twice a year unless they live in the area. I have had several owners thank me profusely when I commented that a shower had not been properly cleaned or there were ants in the kitchen or something similar. How on earth would an owner know that when its the management company's job to take care of it?

I didn't mean to go off on a tangent there but it is important to realize that the renter can be the only way an owner knows when the home isn't being maintained. I guarantee if you let the owner know they will be very grateful and it is much nicer than leaving a poor review. Realistically the management company should be getting the poor review.

:thumbsup2 I never ask that many questions. As was said most of the info is in the description. Would you ask the same questions when staying at a hotel ?? I usually ask whether pool heat will turned on prior to arrival so that it will be ready, and maybe confirm in an email that there is wifi, free long distance or whatever else is important to me at the time. :)

We rent homes all the time and I have never asked any questions. Everything I want to know is in the description and if its not, I usually just move on to the next listing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter