Liquor on Sunday's

lds0191

DISNERDS
I just called ABC Liquors in Cocoa Beach and learned their Sunday hrs are 1pm - 9pm. Anybody know of any place to get beer, wine, etc. on Sunday mornings on the way to the port from WDW? I have read that Walmart sells beer and wine in Florida but no other alcohol. Are there any Sunday restrictions on beer and wine sales? We are renting a car at WDW to drive to PC on Sunday morning and want to make a stop on the way to the port.

Thanks........

I just called ABC Liquors in Cocoa Beach and learned their Sunday hrs are 1pm - 9pm. Anybody know of any place to get beer, wine, etc. on Sunday mornings on the way to the port from WDW? I have read that Walmart sells beer and wine in Florida but no other alcohol. Are there any Sunday restrictions on beer and wine sales? We are renting a car at WDW to drive to PC on Sunday morning and want to make a stop on the way to the port.

Thanks........

All markets in Florida carry beer and wine. I am not sure of the restrictions on Sunday sales. Some of these markets including some Walmarts have a separate attached liquor store. Winn Dixie and Publix shows where their liquor stores are located in an online search but I dont see that when I search Walmart stores.. The closest Publix with a liquor store to Disney property is the one in Xentury City Center on International Drive just off Osceola Parkway, between Osceola and 192.

Head off Disney property on Osceola Parkway towards Gaylord Palms and make a right at the end of the Gaylord Palms complex. A medium sized shopping center will be ahead on your left. The liquor store is open at 10 AM on Sunday so I would assume they actually sell alcohol at that time.

http://store.publix.com/publix/

Use zip 32830 it is one of the ones on Disney property. The first store to be listed should be the one I gave you directions for.

Hope this helps.

I'm thinking maybe I should go on Saturday when we get there to get all our alcohol just to make sure that we can get what we want since we want more then just beer.

We live in Tampa and I can tell you from experience, Florida still has lots of "blue laws" which prohibit alcohol sales on Sunday morning. The reason their hours are from 1:00 PM on Sunday is that it's illegal in Brevard County to sell alcohol before 1:00 PM on Sunday. (I know, it's ridiculous.) So, it won't matter which store you go to, Wal Mart, Publix, etc, they all will have the same policy. Your best bet is to buy on Saturday.

From their County Code:

Sec. 6-3. - Hours of sale.

(a)
For the purpose of this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them in this subsection unless otherwise specifically stated:

Beer means all brewed beverages containing malt.

Liquor means any spirituous beverages created by distillation and by mixture of distilled beverages by what is commonly termed as blending.

Wine means all beverages made from fresh fruits, berries or grapes, either by natural fermentation with brandy added, in the manner required by the laws and regulations of the United States, and includes all sparkling wines, champagnes, combination of the aforesaid beverages, vermouths and like products.

(b)
In all unincorporated areas of the county, any commercial establishment which serves, dispenses, stores or sells liquor, or permits liquor to be consumed on or off its premises, or any person holding a license from the division of beverage, state department of business regulation, or any commercial establishment, bottle club or membership association in which a fee, cover charge or admission fee is collected shall have hours of operation for the purposes of dispensing, selling, consuming or serving alcoholic beverages or liquor as follows:

(1)
Monday through Saturday: beginning at 7:00 a.m. and ending at 2:00 a.m. on the following day.

(2)
Sunday: beginning at 1:00 p.m. and ending at 2:00 a.m. on the following date.

(3)
Extended hours for New Year's Eve: beginning at 7:00 a.m. and ending at 4:00 a.m. on January 1.

(c)
In all unincorporated areas of the county, the legal hours of sale of beer and wine by persons holding a license from the division of beverage, state department of business regulation, regardless of the type of license held, shall be as follows:

(1)
Beginning at 7:00 a.m. on each day of the week and continuing until 2:00 a.m. on the following day.

(2)
Extended hours for New Year's Eve: beginning at 7:00 a.m. and ending at 4:00 a.m. on January 1.

(d)
Each sale of beer and wine or liquor which occurs outside of the established legal hours shall constitute a separate violation of this section and the person making such sale shall be deemed guilty of an offense and shall be punished as provided in section 1-7.

(Code 1979, §§ 2-11—2-13)

We live in Tampa and I can tell you from experience, Florida still has lots of "blue laws" which prohibit alcohol sales on Sunday morning. The reason their hours are from 1:00 PM on Sunday is that it's illegal in Brevard County to sell alcohol before 1:00 PM on Sunday. (I know, it's ridiculous.) So, it won't matter which store you go to, Wal Mart, Publix, etc, they all will have the same policy. Your best bet is to buy on Saturday.

From their County Code:

Sec. 6-3. - Hours of sale.

(a)
For the purpose of this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings respectively ascribed to them in this subsection unless otherwise specifically stated:

Beer means all brewed beverages containing malt.

Liquor means any spirituous beverages created by distillation and by mixture of distilled beverages by what is commonly termed as blending.

Wine means all beverages made from fresh fruits, berries or grapes, either by natural fermentation with brandy added, in the manner required by the laws and regulations of the United States, and includes all sparkling wines, champagnes, combination of the aforesaid beverages, vermouths and like products.

(b)
In all unincorporated areas of the county, any commercial establishment which serves, dispenses, stores or sells liquor, or permits liquor to be consumed on or off its premises, or any person holding a license from the division of beverage, state department of business regulation, or any commercial establishment, bottle club or membership association in which a fee, cover charge or admission fee is collected shall have hours of operation for the purposes of dispensing, selling, consuming or serving alcoholic beverages or liquor as follows:

(1)
Monday through Saturday: beginning at 7:00 a.m. and ending at 2:00 a.m. on the following day.

(2)
Sunday: beginning at 1:00 p.m. and ending at 2:00 a.m. on the following date.

(3)

(c)
In all unincorporated areas of the county, the legal hours of sale of beer and wine by persons holding a license from the division of beverage, state department of business regulation, regardless of the type of license held, shall be as follows:

(1)
Beginning at 7:00 a.m. on each day of the week and continuing until 2:00 a.m. on the following day.

(2)

(d)
Each sale of beer and wine or liquor which occurs outside of the established legal hours shall constitute a separate violation of this section and the person making such sale shall be deemed guilty of an offense and shall be punished as provided in section 1-7.

(Code 1979, §§ 2-11—2-13)

Thats why i directed them to the one in Xentury City which is in either Orange or Osceola (not sure which) and is open at 10AM on Sunday.

The ABC stores in close proximity to Disney are also open at either 9 or 10 on Sunday so I don't think you will have an issue if you go on Sunday morning as long as you shop in the WDW area.

Be advised that the liquor stores attached to supermarkets are pretty small and have a smaller selection than an ABC store.

Thanks for the advice! I guess we will wait until 10am and do our shopping near WDW. I checked out the latest ad for Publix and the prices looked reasonable. We will just have to arrive at the port a little later than planned but we will not be picking up our rental at DTD until 9am so time for breakfast b4 Publix opens.

Sorry for stupid question..first time cruiser here. I know the cabins are ready somewhere around 1:30. What time does the ship actually sail? Once you board, can you leave, then come back? Is there a small oportunity to take a quick taxi to the ABC and back before sail?

Ship sails usually at 5pm that does change sometimes due to circumstances, launches etc. check your paperwork for your cruise and it should say. I am not positive but I would think once you are on the ship they are not going to let you off and back on unless there is an emergency. I am sure someone here can give you better info.

Even if the stores open at 10 they cant serve it till 1. Your best bet is to buy the night before :thumbsup2

Even if the stores open at 10 they cant serve it till 1. Your best bet is to buy the night before :thumbsup2

If the store is open at 10 it sells at 10. These are dedicated liquor stores. They might sell cigarettes but nothing else. There is no reason to pay the additional electric bill and salary to have the store open and unable to make sales.

The liquor store in the Disney area are in a different County and are subject to different regulations than the ones near the Cape.

ABC stores in Orlando open at either 9 or 10 on Sunday while the one in Cape Canaveral opens at 1.

Publix liquor store in Kissimmee opens at 10 on Sunday while the one closest to the Zip code for the Cape opens at Noon.

If you are concerned that the store might be open but not selling (personally I have never heard of such an occurrence) the phone number for the Publix liquor store in Xentury City Center is (407) 390-1362

The closest ABC store is 11951 SO. APOPKA-VINELAND RD ORLANDO 407-239-0775, using 32830 as a zip on Disney property. They are open at 9 on Sunday. They are not too far from DTD and Hotel Plaza BLVD. If you exit Disney Propert via Hotel Plaza BLVD make a left it will be on your right

Thanks for the advice! I guess we will wait until 10am and do our shopping near WDW. I checked out the latest ad for Publix and the prices looked reasonable. We will just have to arrive at the port a little later than planned but we will not be picking up our rental at DTD until 9am so time for breakfast b4 Publix opens.

An alternative to picking up the car the morning of your cruise is to pick it up the day before, the price will be the same since it's a 24 hour rental. This will give you time to shop the night before and your morning will be less rushed.

I had thought about picking up the car the night before but we are planning to be at the parks late. We will have only 2 full days at WDW before the cruise and will need to have Budget pick us up at POP to take us to DTD to get our rental.

those hours sound good to me. here in Indiana, you can't buy alchohol on Sunday- you talk about ridiculus!

I had thought about picking up the car the night before but we are planning to be at the parks late. We will have only 2 full days at WDW before the cruise and will need to have Budget pick us up at POP to take us to DTD to get our rental.

Since you are going to be at DTD to get the car it would be closer to go to ABC liquor on Apopka-Vineland than going to Publix. That store opens at 9on Sunday

I just Googled ABC Liquors on South Apopka and it is like 2 minutes from Doubletree DTD (and they open at 9am). Thanks so much!

I just Googled ABC Liquors on South Apopka and it is like 2 minutes from Doubletree DTD (and they open at 9am). Thanks so much!

No problem...When you finish at ABC you're not far from I-4 too so quick on the highway to get to the port.

I am curious. What is the protocol for bringing alcohol on the ship? Do you pack it a special way or anything? The amount allowed? We never took any with on our last cruise because I didn't think it was allowed. Thanks much for any answers.....:cool2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter