Lipsalve on planes?

amalaine

Earning My Ears
Does anyone know if we can bring lipsalves in the hand luggage! a 9 hour flight with dry lips is a thoroughly uninviting though!!!

I wouldn't think so either, basically if you can't live without it pack it in the hold

Definately no. Current rules say no cosmetics of any kind so this would be included with them also includes pressurised containers such as deodrant as this is technically liquid

gismo1554 said:
Definately no. Current rules say no cosmetics of any kind so this would be included with them also includes pressurised containers such as deodrant as this is technically liquid

I agree with gismo1554 - no cosmetics at all (no lipsalve, no lipstick, no eye-liner, no mascara, no foundation, no concealer, nothing).

To be honest it is not worth the risk trying to take it on board - it is most likely that they will confiscate it (so you loose it) AND if everyone does it, then it is likely to take longer to security screen everyone...

Best thing I can suggest for dry lips is to keep a glass of water handy (don't be afraid to ask the cabin crew for top-ups) and keep supping a little and wetting your lips. Pack your lipsalve in an easy to get to pocket in your hold luggage - use it just as you check-in and take it out of your case as soon as it comes off the conveyor belt at the other end.

Boo

i'm pretty sure its a no!!
i recall them talking about this on the tv the other day

giggler :hourglass

Which airline and class are you flying, amalaine?

Have just heard, from a member of BA Cabin crew, that British Airways are still loading their amenity kits for longhaul flights. The Club World ones have a Molton Brown lipstick in them (and moisturiser and some other goodies). I don't know about the economy one. I don't know about Virgin Atlantic or other airlines either...

Boo

It is a definate no IM afraid- although we flew MYtravel premiair and recieved some lip balm in our gift bag.

Thanks!!
I'm flying with virgin atlantic.

I'll assume that i cant take it on then i guess!

amalaine said:
Thanks!!
I'm flying with virgin atlantic.

Assuming you are flying economy and assuming they don't provide lipsalve in the economy ammenity kits, charm an Upper Class passenger and ask if they have one that they can spare ;)

Boo

Flew yesterday. At Sanford they are allowing Lipsticks and powder now, and all electronics.

adz1991 said:
Flew yesterday. At Sanford they are allowing Lipsticks and powder now, and all electronics.
Thats from the usa to the uk.The restrictions are strictor from the uk to the usa
Paul

We just, literally, returned from Italy to Sanford and Ryanair said definately no lip balms in hand luggage!

From what I can gather though it all depends on the airline involved :-)

alisonbestford said:
We just, literally, returned from Italy to Sanford and Ryanair said definately no lip balms in hand luggage!

From what I can gather though it all depends on the airline involved :-)

Ryanair are flying transatlantic?

It isn't down to the airline at all - it is down to airport security, which is the same regardless of which carrier you choose

patdavies said:
Ryanair are flying transatlantic?

It isn't down to the airline at all - it is down to airport security, which is the same regardless of which carrier you choose

Lots of friends we made, on holiday, were on an Airtours package.

According to the Rep their airline was allowing normal hand luggage yesterday but Ryanair were still being more strict with their security measures.

They were busy handing out clear bags and stowing quite a lot of hand luggage in the hold :sunny:

Glad someone else concerned about dry skin on board I was thinking of keeping a sample moisturiser (little sealed sample they give out at on the makeup counters) in my back pocket and if it gets taken off me then it does - no big deal, but then I will be asking the crew on board (also flying virgin) if they have any, be nice if they upgrade there freebie bag too.

Lip salve ( stick type) may be classed like lipstick which I think is allowed now but correct me if I'm wrong.

wifey said:
Right folks...just been to the TSA website and it clearly states that "Solid cosmetics, personal hygiene items such as lipsticks, lipbalms and similar solids Are Permitted"" see the link www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/new-items if this helps you sort out dry lips etc it's all a bonus!!

As PaulH stated earlier in the thread...

The TSA rules only concern flights from the US.

Currently cosmetics are not allowed by UK security for flights to the US

patdavies said:
As PaulH stated earlier in the thread...

The TSA rules only concern flights from the US.

Currently cosmetics are not allowed by UK security for flights to the US

Agreed with patdavies - TSA is the US "Transportation Security Administration" (they are not responsible for flights departing the UK...

BAA is responsible for flights departing the UK, there current policy is:
"The restrictions on contents allowed in cabin baggage have now been relaxed and the items prohibited from cabin baggage are now as follows:
- Any cosmetics
- Any toiletries, including toothpaste, hair gel, lotions, perfume, deodorant, shaving foam, aerosols, etc.
- Any liquids
- Any drinks
- Any sharp objects."
Keep an eye on www.baa.com for the latest updates.

So looks like lipsalve is ok US-UK, but not UK-US (at the moment).

Sure you could try to smuggle some onboard, BUT if everyone has the same idea, then we are all likely to be spending LONGER in security queues as the searchers have to find and dispose of the contraband... :confused3 If you catch a security officer on a bad day, who knows - you may even get carted off for a "secondary search"...

Boo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter