Lion King Broadway show, "best seats" are really the worst seats

Disney1fan2002

<font color=red>Like OMG the TF is SOO psyched to
I have seen the Lion King twice now. Once in NYC, and then in Boston. It is going to be in Providence this month, and run through December. So, I was looking at tickets. Thanksgiving night is available.

The website for PPAC gives you the option of seeing the stage from your seat view. The $27.50 tickets are actually BETTER than the $127.50 VIP tickets. Why?

If you have never seen the Lion King, you need to know, the show is much better when viewed fro above. It is easier to see the actor in character when you see the masks from above. The $127.50 seat, is much too close tot he stage. You would be looking at the persons body, before the mask. Does this make sense?

I remember sitting in Boston, waiting for the show to start, and the woman in front of us was griping about having these tickets for 10 months. They were best available at the time, then the show sold out. She was complaining, because they realsed some seats in a better section 2 weeks before the show date. She didn't think it was fair.

I interrupted, apologized for listening to her conversation, but told her I bought these seats purposely because they were above the stage. She had never seen the show before. During intermission, she thanked me for telling her that, because the show was spectacular, and now she knew it was partly because of the seats.

Have you seen the Lion King? Do you agree?

I haven't seen lion king--but I totally understand.

Everyone assumes front row is best and it is priced accordingly.

The place where my daughter had recital--if you sit up front--you are looking up to the show instead of looking "at" it.

Any time we see a show in the city we always reserve 1st row mezanine. Most shows are best viewed from there.

I've seen it several times on Broadway in the orchestra and from the 1st row of the mezzanine. Without a doubt the best seats are mid-level orchestra on the aisle, so you're up close for the animal parade. I agree that you wouldn't want to be front and center, but a couple rows back in orchestra is my preference.

Have seen the Lion King twice, once in New York while on business and once in Houston with my family. In New York, our boss insisted on the best seats available and we paid a ticket broker a lot for seats on the first and third rows. While I enjoyed the show the seats were pretty bad. Had to look almost straight up for the entire show and never really got to enjoy the full effect of the costumes during the processional or some of the stage effects. I Houston while we were not up we were away from the stage and the effects were much better because we could see them without straining. Most of the effects are much better when viewed from farther back because you can see the whole stage at the same time.

I personally LOVE front row seats at the theater, but then again if there is a show that I really love, I tend to see it at least twice to get different perspectives on it. Personally I love seeing the facial expressions of the actors on stage and if I could only see a show once, I would give up the ability to get the "big picture" for the chance to see the facial expressions. I have seen Wicked 4 times, twice from the first or second row, once from the back mezzanine and once from the middle of the orchestra. While there are certain scenes that are clearly designed for the long view and I would not have known what I was missing if I had never seen it up close from the front row but IMO the expressions are what made many scenes for me.

In the case of the Lion King, even though there are masks, it doesn't mean that the faces of the actors were neutral. The body language, including facial expressions, was FABULOUS when I saw it with the original broadway cast. Some of it would show in the long view but not all of it... not to mention that the detail on the costumes and animals was just a feast for the eyes. Give me front row any day.

I have never been to a Broadway show, however I would love to, especially the Lion King. When it came to my city last year, I wanted to go and have it as part of my christmas present from my mom. My mom couldn't get tickets, though. Does anyone know if there is a list of the dates its going to be in certain cities on the internet and where I can go to find the dates?

I haven't seen the Lion King, but I personally think the balcony seats are much better than floor seats. Think about it: how many people at the movies rush to the front row? :confused3

simba928 said:
I have never been to a Broadway show, however I would love to, especially the Lion King. When it came to my city last year, I wanted to go and have it as part of my christmas present from my mom. My mom couldn't get tickets, though. Does anyone know if there is a list of the dates its going to be in certain cities on the internet and where I can go to find the dates?

http://disney.go.com/disneytheatrical/thelionking/

Honu said:
Without a doubt the best seats are mid-level orchestra on the aisle, so you're up close for the animal parade. I agree that you wouldn't want to be front and center, but a couple rows back in orchestra is my preference.
Mine too! The wife took me to see it for the first time last year for my birthday and I was in awe. I've been to tons of shows, and the Lion King was really first rate. I wouldn't have changed our seats for anywhere else in the theater! I enjoy seeing the actors faces and didn't find the headgear/masks to be obscured at all. The problem with many mezzanine seats is you don't always get a good view of the sides of the stage. Sitting in the orchestra gives you a full view of everything going on on stage. In the end, your preference is yours and yours alone. Glad you enjoyed the show as much as we did! The show aside, Disney's beautiful restoration of the New Amsterdam Theater could be worth the price of admission alone!

Beth76 said:
I haven't seen the Lion King, but I personally think the balcony seats are much better than floor seats. Think about it: how many people at the movies rush to the front row? :confused3

The difference between a movie and a show is that in a show, the people are all at most what? 6' something? With a 1' head? In the movies, when you are meant to see facial expressions, they film it as a closeup and the screen is what? I don't even know but it's gotta be well over 10' tall. The expression on a 10 foot head is pretty easy to see from the back of a movie theather (and I always head for the back of movies). It's not so easy on a 1' head.

We saw the Lion King for our 1 year anniversary and it is wondeful! We had 3rd row balcony and thought that was the best spot to watch the show. You were close enough to see the facial expressions of the actors but also far enough away to see the entire stage perspective.

It is by far the best show I've ever seen, and I've seen many musicals.

~Amanda

My friend said the same thing. She said the lowest balcony towards the front (of the balcony) is the best. Your higher up, but still close enough to see the details. Those are the seats I got when I saw it in Chicago and she was right!

Fantastic show, btw!

I prefer the closer the better. For this show, perhaps 2nd, 3rd, 4th rows. I like seeing the facial expressions and the details of the costumes.

I once sat first row, balcony, and felt like I was at the movies. There wasn't that feeling of being part of the action, like you get when you're up front. For me, there's no going back. I'd rather rent the DVD and watch it at home than sit so far away it looks and feels no different than being at the movies.

We had 2nd row seats when they came through here and we really, really enjoyed it. There was just enough space that I didn't feel like I needed to look straight up. The only negative for me was there was a woman that sat completely straight up in her seat directly in front of me so I couldn't see anything right in front...she wasn't even tall (I'm 5'11" so I normally don't have a problem but then again I slouch a bit because I feel bad for people sitting behind me) but she was off her seat a bit and sitting straight up. Oh well, it was still great.

I'm going to try for first row mezzanine for our next show though. I've always wanted to try those seats and this thread confirmed that idea.

I think this is totally personal preference.

I hate the mezz/balcony, don't like the box, even though for many things it's supposed to be a better view. I prefer the orchestra and agree that orchestra a few rows back is the best, from my pov.

It also very much depends on what you're seeing, who you are, etc.

Ticket sites rate seats based on a bunch of criteria that don't always jibe with your own. Depends. I prefer orchestra close - and yeah, I don't think I've ever sat more than a few rows back in the movies either. I like whatever it is to be my entire field of vision. I get that people want the other perspective but it's just that, personal perspective.

We always get 1st Row Center Mezzanine and have NEVER been disappointed....I remember Michael Bennett once said that he always put his Mom and VIPs there because you can actually see the whole stage.

I've seen the Lion King in center orchestra seats (Row F) and 1st row mezz and I will say that the mezz was a much better experience. It may have to do with the fact that I'm short :rotfl2: but my DH is 6'3" and he also likes mezz better. But everyone have their own preferences.

So glad I opened this thread. I have been wanting to see this and this will be a perfect 8th birthday gift for my son and possibly mothers day gift for my mom.

Most of the time I prefer the first 3 rows of the mezzanine section, but it also depends on the type of play/event I am seeing, and the size of the theater or venue.

Forget seats! First time I saw The Lion King on Broadway, I had standing room...so I got attacked by a hyena. :scared1:

Because the standing room section is all the way in the back, we were right where all the "animals" made their entrance - which was really cool in the opening number, we just turned around and realized the entire animal cast was standing behind us about to make their march down the aisles, so got a great look at those incredible costumes.

And when the hyenas made their entrance for "Be Prepared", they were growling at us and one actually "bit" my leg (well, his costume did). It was really funny.

I wouldn't exactly recommend standing room since, well, you have to stand. But it was fun to be back there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter