Lines - how long is too long?

goofyfan13

Mouseketeer
I've been planning out trip in October and reflecting on our trip from three years ago. We spent a fair amount of time waiting in line and as I've been going through the boards, touring plans, talking with my family I realized Im not certain how long is "TOO LONG"

Im happy to hear from anyone, but this specifically goes out to people like me - vacationing from out of state don't get to the parks often.

Last time we went we used some fast passes but we also did our share of standby lines to hit attractions. For me the magic number was less than 40. If an attraction posted 30 or less, getting in line was a no-brainer, but once it was 45 + we really had to think if the ride was worth the wait.

Here is an example:
on radiator spring racers, we got in line with a posted hour minute wait. The ride broke down at 30 minutes in line. 30 minutes after, still wasn't fixed so we bailed. I figured even if it started up then, we would have been in line 1.5 hours total and 1.5+ hours was too long even for RSR. We ended up getting fast passes and riding it once the whole 5 day trip because the 1 - 2 hour wait wasn't worth it to me and my family

For reference we were me, wife, 9, 8 and 6.
Now we are me, wife, DD 12, DS 11 and DD 9

This year, I *think* that 45 min max is still going to hold true.

What are your thoughts? Is this too low, too high? What rides would you never wait even 40 minutes long for? What rides are worth 1 hour+ to you?

We usually shoot for 20~30 minutes max. with the exception of rides like Radiator Springs Racers, which we'll give an hour.
For us, there's just no reason to wait any longer because there's always something else fun to do. But keep in mind that we try to go during slower times.

I don't like standing in line for anything if it's going to take longer than 30 minutes. I'd sincerely rather sit and people watch over standing in line for a ride that long. The only exception is if I've never been on the ride before, and even then 45 minutes is my limit.

30 minutes is kind of my max in general, UNLESS I'm nearing the end of my vacation and I still haven't done one of my "must-do" attractions and the line is longer... I'll probably wait for it if it's my last chance and it's important to me.

Since we're big-time rope droppers and FP users, we don't typically have to wait more than 20 minutes for anything. But, last summer when we were there, we did wait 45 minutes in line for Soarin' once, because we chose to - there was nothing else we were scheduled to do, and we had some time to kill before hopping over to see PTN. As a matter of course, we don't wait in lines that long.

We have two kids, currently 3.5 and 5. We are from out of state but have been many times since the youngest was about 9 months. 30 minute is our max due to them not standing in line longer than that, plus my husband would grumble as well, lol! Utilizing early morning times, FP and good planning but willing to be flexible, you should be able to do most things under 30min unless it is crazy crowd time like the holidays.

You know the lines are too long when you:

1. Start getting sunburned.
2. Begin to wonder if it's the same day.
3. Crows start lookin at ya, waiting for you to drop.
4. You begin to become an expert in the formation of the backs of people's skulls.
5. Your feet begin to feel like they're melting into the pavement. Along with the rest of ya. :faint:
6. The potty dance begins, but you're not 3 years old.
7. Too late, now there's a puddle. Lol
8. You begin to wonder what season it is now.
9. You start thinking about your birthday, even though it was just last week!
10. After you leave the park, you notice gray hair that wasn't there before.

Our max is 30 minutes. We use fast passes as much as possible and get to the park early. It's also a reason why we like staying onsite so we can avoid some of the long lines like at RSR, Peter Pan, and hyperspace when we go for EMH. We rode RSR 3 times in one hour this past Monday.

Was there a couple weeks ago and the longest we waited was about 35. 30-35 is about my threshold.

We try to cap it at 30 min for most rides if we can. Soarin', Space, Big Thunder, California Screamin' and Peter Pan are worth longer waits for me.

usually 35 minutes, but it depends on the ride. a 45 min wait for space mountain, indiana jones, or radiator springs racers isn't bad, so i'd definitely jump in line.

For us, 30 minutes max. We have a kid who thinks lines are torture, and he tortures US everytime we stand in one. For attractions that I know will be popular, I make a point to either get fast passes or get there very first thing in the morning, before it fills up. It's worked for us so far, if it ever didn't, we'd just skip it.

For any ride my kids go on, we won't usually wait more than 20 minutes. If someone is watching the kids and my husband and I have some time to explore for ourselves, we'll wait up to 40 minutes (usually only 30), but only for something really worth it (like RSR or Space Mountain). For us, the key is being there at rope drop, powering through until it gets so packed you can't walk, then resting at the hotel if we stay the night and coming back later when most of the crowds are watching the parades/fireworks/night shows.

30 minutes if I really want to go on something. I think I waited an hour a couple times because someone else in my group really wanted to do it and it was their birthday. Waiting in lines is total torture for me.

30 minutes max, but in general I rarely will wait for anything over 15/20. But in my case, I'm a local, so if I miss a ride on one trip I know I can always go next time.

Usually at max about40 minutes if I have to do standby. Within that, though, sometimes it depends on the ride. POTC at 40 minutes will at least move pretty consistently, while 40 minutes in line for Nemo feels like 3 weeks.

We were in DL in January during the Star Wars marathon. We were the first ones in line to get in the park and at the front of the rope drop. We went right up to most rides and did the high demand rides first (Space Mountain, Matterhorn, Peter Pan) and we typically did a high demand ride first then went and start working the Fast Pass system throughout the day. We did wait in line for Indiana Jones for probably 30 minutes and for Radiator springs racing for 45 minutes. We also did Fast passes for both another time during our trip. We utilized the DL app on our phones to check out wait times to help us plan better. We also park hopped when DL got hectic, we headed over to DCA. The wait for RSR was up to 2 hours when we were there. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter