Line cutters

Question: if people stop to play games in the line and really settle in, are you allowed to go around them or is that also considered cutting?

Question: if people stop to play games in the line and really settle in, are you allowed to go around them or is that also considered cutting?

Previous threads give no consensus. Some want to make sure you give them time to notice. Some say that it doesn't actually make the time in line longer to let things back up behind the people. I say it makes it feel longer and goes against my nature to not move when you can move. I wish disneybjadnt installed all the thigs in the line.

Yesterday people talked about taking a kid out of line for the bathroom. While most will empathize with that, for us, in practice, we felt that if DS couldn't hold it that we were just leaving the line. We wouldn't and didn't leave an adult in line and go back. At DL it happened whole waiting at Casey Jr and the cm had to let us out because we were beyond the turnstile already, and she told us to come on back to the exit and she would let us in, but the line was super short when we got back so we just joined the line. Disney has taught DS so much, and fully waiting our turn is one of those things. Also, choices and decision making. Don't drink all that water just before a long line, for instance. :)

It's also because both of the adults were ply sized for a long time, and leaving a line is hard enough especially at DL. Getting back through the line? Forget it. Too hard. Nowadays it's easier for me to slither through a line to get back to DH, but mentally it's still too awkward even if we had a little one.

Yesterday people talked about taking a kid out of line for the bathroom. While most will empathize with that, for us, in practice, we felt that if DS couldn't hold it that we were just leaving the line. We wouldn't and didn't leave an adult in line and go back. At DL it happened whole waiting at Casey Jr and the cm had to let us out because we were beyond the turnstile already, and she told us to come on back to the exit and she would let us in, but the line was super short when we got back so we just joined the line. Disney has taught DS so much, and fully waiting our turn is one of those things. Also, choices and decision making. Don't drink all that water just before a long line, for instance. :)

It's also because both of the adults were ply sized for a long time, and leaving a line is hard enough especially at DL. Getting back through the line? Forget it. Too hard. Nowadays it's easier for me to slither through a line to get back to DH, but mentally it's still too awkward even if we had a little one.

Yeah, we go to the restroom before entering a line or we will just leave the line and come back. I feel like we are constantly making restroom stops (must be all that water you have to drink to beat the heat!), but I wouldn't feel comfortable cutting back up through a line with the kids.

Looking for suggestions on how to handle this, or strategies that have worked for you in regards to people cutting in line. I am often overwhelmed when I see a large group try to cut in front of us while their one or two people have stood in line. Not quite sure what to say or how to handle it.

My wife (I guess I've got to say my female wife now) and I went in July one year, and the bazillion Brazilians completely overwhelmed us and cut in line with regularity. It was a horrible experience and will never go again during July or February.

They weren't even in the line and they felt you cut in front of them? Hilarious!

Absolutely.

Of course, that moment of someone going in front of you or messing with your enjoyment of the day is also YOUR karma, isn't it? What brought that moment into your life? (people always forget that part of karma LOL)

LOL! Too funny! I always think that it's karma working in my favor...as in "I guess I wasn't meant to ride in that car" or "maybe I won't get completely drenched on Kali because they got the seat I was supposed to get." Never thought about it being my bad karma coming back to haunt me...

My wife (I guess I've got to say my female wife now) and I went in July one year, and the bazillion Brazilians completely overwhelmed us and cut in line with regularity. It was a horrible experience and will never go again during July or February.
We go in a few weeks. I am not looking forward to dealing with South American tour groups. :headache:

I think there is a vast difference between a preschooler that needs to go to the bathroom while in a 60 minute line and a group of adults/teens that send a scout to SDMT or BTMRR to stand in line only to be joined by his 10 friends later on in the process. Also, I think it has to do with attitude. You can clearly see the people that are being shady vs the ones that had a different circumstance such as the little kid that ran up to Lilo and Stitch in the post, above.

A lot of folks reference the "large group of cutters". That I have never seen nor would I allow. Quite honestly I don't care if it's only 1 or 2 people....if you were never in line then you are cutting. And you're right, you can tell the "guilty" ones from the "potty break" ones.

In my experience the cast members at the cash usually just keep their heads down and try to stay out of it. I'm not sure how much authority these particular cast members have over guests - they always seem a bit more unsure of themselves, compared to the ones you see directing people at parades or running the rides.

You're right they don't say a thing. But I don't really care, if people don't know how things work at WDW, that's their problem. Many if not all of the registers have a little sign that indicates to form a line on both sides.

I do the same thing and it is amazing how they stop in shock that I would not let them by.
I have also quite loudly informed my kids how those folks were being very rude trying to cut the line.AKK

I also voice my discontent so it can be heard with something like, "by all means your majesty, please head straight to the front of the line" or "Oh my gosh am I in your way? I'm sorry I was just waiting my turn like everyone else!"

With me it depends, if it's a long line and it's just a matter of standing here or 40 feet ahead, I will be patient. Buf if we are close to the ride or it's getting ridiculous I will just alert the person and he/she will move on ahead.

As the OP, I am really enjoying your replies. I will admit that I am one of those "depends upon the day" reactors. Some days I might say something politely, and on another day I might just "let it go" but always with an eye roll.:sad2:
But this...

I also voice my discontent so it can be heard with something like, "by all means your majesty, please head straight to the front of the line" or "Oh my gosh am I in your way? I'm sorry I was just waiting my turn like everyone else!"[/QUOTE]

Just made my day:tongue:

I may be in the minority, but I find the people who go around correcting other people's behavior just as bad/annoying .

People who cut or stop in the middle of the aisle fall into two categories :
1. people who are self centered and don't care and I find these people either strike back or get off on people who chastise them and will just laugh...so you are feeding the beast IMO

2. Those who are doing it because of some legit reason. They just realized they lost their phone and aren't thinking clearly and stop or child had a bathroom emergency and now you are just making them feel bad for no reason. Not all people who do something wrong are selfish and they don't need the busy body police giving them a ticket.

I think you left out the majority of people.

3. People who are just clueless. They aren't intentionally blocking the aisle, but they are so caught up in their little world they aren't thinking about anyone else. A reminder that many more people than just those in their party are trying to get by is not a social faux pas. If they have a 'legit' reason, then they can always take a few steps to the right and get out of the way. When I'm driving down the highway and realize I need to check a map or take a call, I don't stop my bloody car in the middle of the road.

It's as simple as being cognizant of others and making at least some sort of attempt to display basic courtesy. If it bothers or annoys you that some folks expect a base level of courtesy, then what can I say, prepare to be annoyed.

There is a difference between sitting around looking for people to correct and taking joy in it versus addressing it if it occurs near you.

I think there's a big difference between cutting in line and leaving the line for a few minutes for a necessity. We all know how children are with bathroom breaks, suddenly being thirsty etc... However, I do feel that the entire group should get in line at the same time. Then if someone needs to go take care of something, it's a simple matter of saving their place until they return. If they are gone longer than expected, the group waiting should stop advancing in the queue and let others pass them until they show back up.

As far as the people playing games in line, how about simply asking them if it is ok to walk past them? And I mean that in a kind, even sincere, tone. Not a sarcastic one.

I think that is the problem with many of the responses here. People either want to quietly seethe over it or act passive aggressive. And then many assume it will escalate and turn into a blood bath in the line.

My post earlier was simply pointing out that a little communication, made in earnest, goes a long way.

If I am in line and the folks in front of me are having fun playing a game, I'll wait a bit and give them time. When the line moves far enough down that it feels like a few families could have moved on by now (or someone behind me is getting all pissy because they think they will get on the ride any quicker by running to fill in gaps in the line) then I would simply ask them if they minded if we moved passed them. If they get upset or respond negatively, then I'd go out of my way to apologize and let them know I wasn't trying to rush them. Usually you'll get a much more human response from them. People get stressed at Disney, or any other public place, and after seeing others act selfish many folks start to think they have a right to be selfish too. Showing someone courtesy, making it clear you aren't out to cause them problems, and that the line thing is not worth getting mad about (but that people would like to move along) can help bring them back to earth.

A parent and a child comes to join their family in line? I'm not going to stress. Two people are not going to cause me a problem. As others have said, who knows what the situation is.

But why is the thread getting caught up on these outlier examples? I imagine the OP, as they have clarified, was not asking about a little girl and her mother rejoining her father and brother. More egregious examples of a group of children, entire families. or other such groups are the cuplrits that have the least number of potentially valid excuses for cutting through a line.

And so, simply asking them where they are going, to me, is much better and more likely to result in a positive outcome compared to a passive aggressive comment, puffing out to not let them pass, or other techniques which all have much more potential to escalate or cause a snipe session, which is about as unmagical as it can get for kids in line.

I do feel it is very possible to engage in conversation with someone without it escalating and also without being the type of person who is walking around looking for altercations or people to correct.

Simple rule? Don't get angry. Don't let your actions be determined by anger. Talk to them like you would talk to someone you know if you aren't sure of what they are doing or if you are curious as to if it is ok to pass them.

Last edited:
Now I don't think all line cutting is "equal" so my response varies too.
Simply a person/couple of people joining a group/family near the very back of the line (like if dad parks the stroller, I think they should all wait before entering the line but I won't get my panties in a twist) or a small child and parent coming back from a bathroom break in a long line (this just can't be avoided sometimes and I think its a jerk move to expect them to join at the back again) I wouldn't bat an eyelash at but if a group of 15 year olds is joining to the near he front of the queue (obviously I will not know this if I am in the back of the line so wouldn't say anything unless the stopped in front of me) they will know my feelings on the matter, in many cases the people don't expect to be confronted about their rude behaviour and it will at least make them think twice about doing it again. Same thing when the ratio of waiters vs cutters is out of whack.
I think when everyone just "lets it go" it leads to an environment where people feel it is acceptable.

Reactions: eXo
I actually wouldn't mind if it was one parent with a preschooler who had left for a bathroom break. But that's actually never happened to me. Not saying it never happens, just that it's never personally happened to me. What generally happens in most lines over fifteen-twenty minutes is the group of teenagers saying, "Excuse me, our friends are saving places for us up ahead," or the full family with Mom, Dad, and several kids ducking under the barrier.

I think you left out the majority of people.

3. People who are just clueless. They aren't intentionally blocking the aisle, but they are so caught up in their little world they aren't thinking about anyone else. A reminder that many more people than just those in their party are trying to get by is not a social faux pas. If they have a 'legit' reason, then they can always take a few steps to the right and get out of the way. When I'm driving down the highway and realize I need to check a map or take a call, I don't stop my bloody car in the middle of the road.

It's as simple as being cognizant of others and making at least some sort of attempt to display basic courtesy. If it bothers or annoys you that some folks expect a base level of courtesy, then what can I say, prepare to be annoyed.

There is a difference between sitting around looking for people to correct and taking joy in it versus addressing it if it occurs near you.

Those people equal number 1 in my book. Clueless people are selfish. They think the world revolves around them and they don't acknowledge the needs of others only themselves. Clueless is just an excuse for the behavior.

I don't get upset, I just think it is slightly obnoxious to walk up to someone at the zoo who stopped in the middle when you can just as easily walk around them. Both the person stopped and the person who felt it was their duty to correct are equal in my book. It is no skin off my nose though if someone wants to take time to stop and do so. There are just some things that don't warrant a reaction and that falls into that category for me.

I actually saw a family use their father/grandfather as their fast pass. No joke. He was a few people ahead of us on line for 7DMT when about 8-10 family members showed up and cut in and then the grandfather got off the line and said ok, i'll go start waiting at Space Mountain!!!! It was a really hot long day and I decided not to say anything because anything I said would not have been nice. The people in front of us did let them have it though!!

I do feel it is very possible to engage in conversation with someone without it escalating and also without being the type of person who is walking around looking for altercations or people to correct.
Good advice. It's also easy to deal with confronting these situations without it ruining your day at all.

A few years ago I had this happen at pecos Bill. Long line on one side, none on the other. (And if I'm not mistaken there were signs up saying to use both sides? I can't remember) I went over to the empty side and was the next person to order. A woman on the other side flipped out on me and started screaming me and I politely told her that they use both sides. I wish the cast member had stepped in to at least mitigate the reaction from the woman. It was not a pleasant experience!
This happens almost every day at WDW with us because we travel during less busy times of the year. Our first strategy is to tell the people in front of us that the other line is open. Most times folks will fill that line and we all move up a bit.

Every once in a while we are ignored. We then have to choose - go to the open line or stay back in line knowing that someone else will come along and move into that line, essentially moving us back in the queue. We generally choose to move into the empty line. If someone says something, we offer to let them in front of us. We are not trying to take advantage of others - we just don't want to be passed by someone coming in later if we can avoid it.

Only once did a family freak out on us. We told them the other line was open, were ignored, moved into the line, were yelled at, offered to let them in front of us, but they just kept on with their attack. My wife was almost in tears. You just can't help some people.

No, not at all, I have no problem with people/kids rejoining their parties, unless it's like a PP encountered where it's one person holding a spot for a whole bunch of late arrivals! I should have clarified, I was talking about blatant line cutters who just want to move ahead of as many people as they can. We had a couple attempt to pass us in line at PoTC a few years ago...I lost count of the number of times the woman's boobs connected with my elbow as she tried desperately to squeeze past us. They were actually talking about trying to get around us...out loud! :rolleyes2

Same here! Obviously some people aren't actually "cutting," but when it comes to big groups of people or even just individuals who obviously don't care that there's a line/feel they are the center of the universe... yeah I stand my ground! :-)

It doesn't ruin my day one bit! Yeah we will stand our ground and block the cutters but we are still having fun with each other! Ain't no 'thang 8-)

Last edited:
A parent and a child comes to join their family in line? I'm not going to stress...
But why is the thread getting caught up on these outlier examples? I imagine the OP, as they have clarified, was not asking about a little girl and her mother rejoining her father and brother. More egregious examples of a group of children, entire families. or other such groups are the cuplrits that have the least number of potentially valid excuses for cutting through a line.
I think the answer lies in the fact that what you now call the "outlier" really isn't. Look at the number of posts here that have said "I have never really seen that" in response to a discussion of huge groups or entire families brazenly cutting ahead of the line.I've been going steadily since 1972 and have not experienced that. The single person or pair of people excusing themselves and asking if they can slide by to join their family is not the outlier. That scenario is by far the majority situation. That is why people are getting "caught up on these examples." People love to drone on and on about the group of 10 teenagers with matching T-shirts who snap their gum and giggle while cutting the line. But in reality, that rarely happens, and that is really the outlier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter