Limited Parking Notice on RAT

So much parking is wasted EVERYWHERE on valet spaces. Half the valet spaces are always empty. I'm surprised that hasn't come up. It ticks me off every time I'm there. Further, and while I'm complaining, it also gripes me that the valet lots are not only so big, but are often the BEST and CLOSEST to the resorts in my general observations. Granted, I haven't studied it and I could be wrong, but it seems to me that guests should have the best parking available and the valets shouldn't be the ones "convenienced."

Just my $0.02. :)

LOL, we are cheap too (to a certain point). We always bring one or two of our rolling suitcases when we do a grocery run and fill them in the parking lot and then walk back to our room.

I don't have a problem when they want to keep the parking lot closer to the convention rooms clear during an event....but it is a big parking lot, and I feel they only need half of it. The other lot by the tennis courts is bigger than one thinks, although much of it is for valet and handicapped.

From what I have observed, bell services will wheel their trolley right up to your trunk and unload....nobody else is allowed to touch it. Valet is the only one to touch the car. I have never seen valet unload someone's car. Isn't it funny how we all see different things?

The unloaders are not valets, they work for the same company as the valets. Bell Services wasn't getting enough tips unloading cars so the union made an agreement to outsource the unloading. They also made the agreement requiring that an adult be in the room to accept the luggage because delivering luggage generates more tips than dropping off. That's the reason why Bell Services wants to deliver your luggage and why you may sense some resistance if you try to pick it up from Bell Services instead of letting them deliver.

:earsboy: Bill

So much parking is wasted EVERYWHERE on valet spaces. Half the valet spaces are always empty. I'm surprised that hasn't come up. It ticks me off every time I'm there. Further, and while I'm complaining, it also gripes me that the valet lots are not only so big, but are often the BEST and CLOSEST to the resorts in my general observations. Granted, I haven't studied it and I could be wrong, but it seems to me that guests should have the best parking available and the valets shouldn't be the ones "convenienced."

Just my $0.02. :)

LOL...the valet lot at BWV is not really much closer. Those guys sure do earn their tips. When staying at a standard view there, it is one of my pastimes to see how many times they run back and forth....sometimes a cart will pick up a few of them. I can't remember where the valet lot was at Poly, but the DVC parking is great there. Same with BLT...no valet needed there. And Kidani with the underground parking. VWL is quite a hike, though. SSR is also easy self parking. I think BWV wins, hands down, as the most unfriendly self-parking DVC resort. But I will continue to stay there twice a year!

Here is some info that you may not be aware of. The people who unload your car are not Disney CM's, they work for the Valet company. They pass your luggage and groceries off to Bell Services. They both expect a tip.

Disney's contractual arrangements are really not my concern. There is no social convention which dictates that it's necessary to tip a valet parking attendant solely for removing luggage or groceries from a vehicle, as well as tipping a second individual for delivering said items to the room.

Here is some info that you may not be aware of. The people who unload your car are not Disney CM's, they work for the Valet company. They pass your luggage and groceries off to Bell Services. They both expect a tip.

Ah yes, so I don't want my luggage being passed around and out of direct control. I go inside to the bell desk and ask for someone to come get my luggage and take it straight in to storage so it is not sitting out anywhere. But that still means 2 tips, one when picked up and one when delivered. I usually give a few dollars to each, rather than the $5 I would give if it were one tip!

Ah yes, so I don't want my luggage being passed around and out of direct control. I go inside to the bell desk and ask for someone to come get my luggage and take it straight in to storage so it is not sitting out anywhere. But that still means 2 tips, one when picked up and one when delivered. I usually give a few dollars to each, rather than the $5 I would give if it were one tip!

It's been a few months since I was at WDW so things may have changed but I don't think that Bell Services will come outside, it may be a contract/union issue. The unloader carts your stuff and takes it into the Bell Services luggage storage room where a Bell Service CM takes the cart to your room.

It's been a few months since I was at WDW so things may have changed but I don't think that Bell Services will come outside, it may be a contract/union issue. The unloader carts your stuff and takes it into the Bell Services luggage storage room where a Bell Service CM takes the cart to your room.

Bell Services will not come out to unload your car on arrival but we have had them bring stuff directly out to our car on departure. I hate the money grab at arrival. Tips for the valet, for another person unloading the car, for storing stuff at Bell Services if room is not ready, and another tip for delivering stuff to the room.

I suppose things vary from resort to resort. Here at BLT, Bell Services unloaded our car for us when we pulled up to the BLT porte-cochere. It stored our items until our villa was ready. Once we were in our villa, I called Bell Services and had them deliver everything.

I did not tip anyone until the Bell Service CM delivered our items.

So if I want to shop at the Contemporary I can park at the Contemporary or BLT lot?

Bell Services will not come out to unload your car on arrival but we have had them bring stuff directly out to our car on departure. I hate the money grab at arrival. Tips for the valet, for another person unloading the car, for storing stuff at Bell Services if room is not ready, and another tip for delivering stuff to the room.

So in the tipping world, bringing you your luggage equals tips, taking your luggage doesn't.

So in the tipping world, bringing you your luggage equals tips, taking your luggage doesn't.

When you're at a restaurant and you have a different person that seats you, takes your order, brings your drinks, brings your food, refills your drink, corrects mistakes, brings your dessert, (You get the idea here.) and cleans your table, do you tip each one when you leave?

I waited tables for 7 years through high school and college like a lot of folks. We all "worked" tables that weren't our own (didn't "take the order"). Sometimes we were "on split tips" and sometimes our tables were our own depending on time of day. I worked at one of the busiest BBQ restaurants in the world, Parker's BBQ in Wilson NC. We all worked everybody's tables like they were our own. We figured it all came out in the wash (and it did). Only the strong waiters stayed around and that's just the way we worked. Maybe it was unusual. I don't know. I never waited anywhere else, but it worked for us. My point is that the only tip there was, was the one on the table at the end of the meal and it went where it went depending on whether we were on split or not. As a customer there today, and at any other restaurant for that matter, I tip the table. Where it goes after that is none of my business (nor concern for that matter).

When I first learned about the new contracts at WDW, I used to tip everybody that touched a bag of mine. Habit. I waited tables. I get how important tips are and how these folks make a living. Recently, I started equating my tipping to resturants and my work experiences at Parker's. Protocol isn't and shouldn't be my concern. I didn't "stack that deck." Disney and the unions did. That's not my fault. When it comes right down to it, I don't really know how many people touched my bags. I lose track when they INSIST on taking them out of my sight before taking them to my room (which ticks me off too but that's an different argument entirely). Now I tip at the end of the line. How they divvy it up (or not) is no longer my concern. Stacking the deck so that 5 people can stick their hands out doesn't matter to me. Those are stupid management and union decisions. All I want is my luggage on my cart and to walk with that ONE person to my room and drop it off. Anything beyond that is somebody else's problem.

After all that, sorry so long, but I'm making a point (I hope.). Tipping is a passion to me because it's what helped me through high school and college like a lot of folks. I've said thousands of times that everybody that graduates from high school or college ought to have to wait tables for a year before they can begin another career and I mean that. It teaches you to deal with the public and even more importantly; it teaches you how the public can be to deal with.

I tip the end of the line; ESPECIALLY at WDW. The point that they choose (for whatever reason is of no concern to me) to have 5-10 hands poked out at me doesn't bother me anymore, even though it used to. Bad management decisions on protocol are not my concern, and it's apparent in tipped positions all over WDW. Somebody's going to argue that the employees can't help it either and I obviously see that coming. Blame the employers and the unions. I don't care. I simply will not drop $5-10 in every hand that sticks in my face just because Disney decided to put another hand arbitrarily in my face. Sorry. Right's right and wrong's wrong, and the tip stacking at WDW is just wrong and is, by its very design, stacked against the consumer and preys on the good nature and generousness of the WDW guest and I resent that. Period.

{EndRant. LOL}

Last edited:
When you're at a restaurant and you have a different person that seats you, takes your order, brings your drinks, brings your food, refills your drink, corrects mistakes, brings your dessert, (You get the idea here.) and cleans your table, do you tip each one when you leave?

I waited tables for 7 years through high school and college like a lot of folks. We all "worked" tables that weren't our own (didn't "take the order"). Sometimes we were "on split tips" and sometimes our tables were our own depending on time of day. I worked at one of the busiest BBQ restaurants in the world, Parker's BBQ in Wilson NC. We all worked everybody's tables like they were our own. We figured it all came out in the wash (and it did). Only the strong waiters stayed around and that's just the way we worked. Maybe it was unusual. I don't know. I never waited anywhere else, but it worked for us. My point is that the only tip there was, was the one on the table at the end of the meal and it went where it went depending on whether we were on split or not. As a customer there today, and at any other restaurant for that matter, I tip the table. Where it goes after that is none of my business (nor concern for that matter).

When I first learned about the new contracts at WDW, I used to tip everybody that touched a bag of mine. Habit. I waited tables. I get how important tips are and how these folks make a living. Recently, I started equating my tipping to resturants and my work experiences at Parker's. Protocol isn't and shouldn't be my concern. I didn't "stack that deck." Disney and the unions did. That's not my fault. When it comes right down to it, I don't really know how many people touched my bags. I lose track when they INSIST on taking them out of my sight before taking them to my room (which ticks me off too but that's an different argument entirely). Now I tip at the end of the line. How they divvy it up (or not) is no longer my concern. Stacking the deck so that 5 people can stick their hands out doesn't matter to me. Those are stupid management and union decisions. All I want is my luggage on my cart and to walk with that ONE person to my room and drop it off. Anything beyond that is somebody else's problem.

After all that, sorry so long, but I'm making a point (I hope.). Tipping is a passion to me because it's what helped me through high school and college like a lot of folks. I've said thousands of times that everybody that graduates from high school or college ought to have to wait tables for a year before they can begin another career and I mean that. It teaches you to deal with the public and even more importantly; it teaches you how the public can be to deal with.

I tip the end of the line; ESPECIALLY at WDW. The point that they choose (for whatever reason is of no concern to me) to have 5-10 hands poked out at me doesn't bother me anymore, even though it used to. Bad management decisions on protocol are not my concern, and it's apparent in tipped positions all over WDW. Somebody's going to argue that the employees can't help it either and I obviously see that coming. Blame the employers and the unions. I don't care. I simply will not drop $5-10 in every hand that sticks in my face just because Disney decided to put another hand arbitrarily in my face. Sorry. Right's right and wrong's wrong, and the tip stacking at WDW is just wrong and is, by it very design, stacked against the consumer and preys on the good nature and generousness of the WDW guest and I resent that. Period.

{EndRant. LOL}

I find it interesting that Disney and the unions make policy and procedures to maximize Disney employee tips like the "adult must be in the room to accept and tip luggage delivery".

If the work operation doesn't generate great tips like unloading your car, they outsource the position.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter