Limit reached to use points May 2012 cruise /?

sigillaria

Mouseketeer
Had planned to use points..was told they could not make any more res..due to limit reached.
So guest services transferred me to Dis Cruise and I made my res for May 27th 5 day Dream to Bahamas. 2 adults and 1 teen--$3993
Paid deposit on my MC. $711
NOW THE PROBLEM:
I had forgotten about Dreams Unlimited
I emailed and asked for a quote--it was $3708
$284 less
Is there any difference between using Disney or Dreams Unlimited? How do I change my deposit from one to the other --or do I have to change it?
What about Castaway Key Club and gifts they give onboard? Would we still get those?
I've been on 2 cruises--both DIS using all points.
I could call Dreams Unl.--they are closed today--but I figured I would get good advise right here on this forum.

Booking cruises on points has become really difficult. We like to use our points to cruise, but you have to book so far in advance (I'm talking like almost 2 years).

As far as I know, you cannot call DU. They are only available via email. I would ask them to book your reservation at the 3700 price and cancel your reservation with DCL. DCL will refund your money to your credit card. Yes, you will still get all of the Castaway Club and DVC goodies. Just tell DU that you are members.

I am surprised that you say you have to reserve like 2 years before with points. I used my points and reserved 4 months before my cruise this October, 2011. I had no problems at all. I guess that happens when you want to book for high season dates. Don't know.

I think all possible Dream and Fantasy cruises have been booked using points, although I think you can still book onto the Magic and Wonder. The new ships are very popular. I booked my Dream cruise with points back in February 2010 and was able to get the exact room I wanted:thumbsup2

I think all possible Dream and Fantasy cruises have been booked using points, although I think you can still book onto the Magic and Wonder. The new ships are very popular. I booked my Dream cruise with points back in February 2010 and was able to get the exact room I wanted:thumbsup2

That's what I heard too...that the DVC point slots have been sold out up to October 2012 on the Fantasy/Dream, but there is still availability on points for the Magic/Wonder.

That's what I heard too...that the DVC point slots have been sold out up to October 2012 on the Fantasy/Dream, but there is still availability on points for the Magic/Wonder.

Unfortunately, not true. As long ago as last Fall (2010) all 3 ships were booked till end of 2011 - a year ahead. I had personally called as I needed to change a June 2011 cruise on the Wonder to August of 2011 and it was not possible.

They instituted a "wait list" at that time for changes and rebookings and I was able to get my change done. But many people were not able to. At this point the ships were unavailable for points bookings till October 2012.

This greatly affect folks who had booked on cash with intention of changing the booking later to points. There were multitudes of folks disappointed when they could not make the rebooking and had to either cancel their cruise or pay cash in full.

There will be isolated instances of a booking here and there, but they are rare. DVC instituted a new policy last year of point maximums that can be traded out for DCL cruises. The ceiling is reached fairly early with so many members trying to book on points. Most members have been unhappy with the situation. We are hopeful for perhaps some change ahead on this policy with the change in management at DVC now.

It was explained to me 15 months out when I booked 2 rooms on points that there are a certain amount of points allotted for each cruise and when they are gone, no more points allowed to be used for that date. So I thought it was date specific and depended on how many people had booked with points so far for that cruise.

It was explained to me 15 months out when I booked 2 rooms on points that there are a certain amount of points allotted for each cruise and when they are gone, no more points allowed to be used for that date. So I thought it was date specific and depended on how many people had booked with points so far for that cruise.

That is true and always has been. However, last year (in addition to the per cruise cap) DVC instituted a new policy of an overall yearly cap of a specific number of DVC points that will be allowed the entire membership for trading out to the Cruise Line. We are hoping that will be adjusted and/or changed. :)

We have B2B cruises booked on the Dream starting on 8/25. Both were booked with points in Oct or Nov 2009 (I can't really remember now). DH and I thought maybe we would cancel one of those and change to an Alaskan. I called 9 months ago and when I told her I was interested in booking a different cruise (I didn't even give what cruise, just for August) she said, I will tell you right now that there is absolutely nothing left for booking. She said I could cancel one of the cruises and waitlist for a different one, but if I cancelled one, I would NEVER get it back. Needless to say, we kept what we had already booked.

We booked recently for the Dec 10 cruise on the Magic using points. I was disappointed that we would not be making a cruise this year. DH called and there were available cruises for the Dec 3 and Dec 10 cruises on the Magic. It was even for a Cat 11. We don't spend much time in the room so we like to save on points. I have heard that the cruises for the Dream and Fantasy fill up fast. I am happy to be going on my cruise and at the holiday time.
:rose:

Unfortunately, not true. As long ago as last Fall (2010) all 3 ships were booked till end of 2011 - a year ahead.

As the risk of being stupid and calling a moderator a liar (not my intent, I promise), I have to say that this statement is absolutely not true. It is true that all of the popular cruises, i.e. summer & holidays, were booked, but I called multiple times checking on various dates back in January and February of this year for this exact same reason, and was told that there were plenty of open dates for October and early November (except for the first week of October, for some reason). When I finally booked in early March, I was able to get the exact room I wanted, a Cat 10A on deck 7 for the 10/16 sailing. They also had at least one Cat 5B or 5C (don't remember which, as I was about 80 points short), and one Cat 9B/9C available at that time. So unless they had multiple cancellations or changed policy right before then, they definitely still had rooms to book on points in March 2011 for an October 2011 sailing - To my immense relief, I may add!

That said, I have no doubt that all the August date were maxed out on point ressies last year, due to people sneaking in cruises before kids go back to school. It just helps to be able to book cruises on points during the school year!

Getting sailings on the Magic and Wonder (except for the Alaskan itineraries) has not really been a problem as indicated earlier if you have some flexibility in your dates. The Dream has not had availability for a long time now.

While we really prefer to sail on points, we will likely end up doing what the OP has done and just pay cash. While we are onboard, I have 2 more dates to book and will just do so as cash reservations rather than risk not having availability when I call DVC after I disembark.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter